Mini Monitor with EL70

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hallo,

I would like to build a small mini monitor with the EL70 as a first speaker build. (I already have good experience with woodworking as well as diy electronics)
The EL70 sound like a good choice here in the forum and I already found a nice design, the mmar-kel70, by planet10 which would fit perfectly (sizewise).

I do not need deep bass here, because it would be used in a small room with a 49Hz roommode, so a roll-off at about 70Hz would be fine. However, I read a few times, that one would hear, that the enclosure of the mmar-kel is quite small.

So, a question to the mmar-kel 70 experienced people: Does this mean the speaker sounds in some way compromised? Or is it just the lack of deeper bass?

The alternative would be to make an own custom sealed cabinet: Is it "easy" to just use any, let´s say 7 liter, cabinet with the EL70 and it would turn out ok?

Thanks for any advice,
Flo

I built the mMar-kel having heard both enclosures because I wanted a smaller speaker. The difference between it and the larger cabinet is really apparent when you switch from one to the other but by it's self I think you' be very satisfied with the mMar. The bass from the larger cabinet sounds like it's taking less effort to make and I think delivers it more cleanly.

Kyle

Thanks for your reply.
I am a little bit pessimistic:

The bass from the larger cabinet sounds like it's taking less effort to make and I think delivers it more cleanly.

...would mean, there is not much bass, it sounds a little forced, and is a bit flabby.

The thing is: if I have not much bass, I would like it at least to be well articulated and fast. Maybe a slightly bigger sealed box would be more optimal?

I just finished veneering a pair of Mmar-Kel70's and think they're great. I have them hooked up to a restored/recapped Marantz 2225 (25w/ch) and they make the Marantz sound fantastic! I need to state, however, that I've never hear the EL70s in any other cabinet.

While I do have twin subwoofers (SDX-7s) with this system (Marantz tape out to a PLLXO at 110hz and amped with a Dayton), often I won't turn on the subs and I'm fine. For some reason the Dayton chip amp, when turned on, negatively affects FM reception, so when listening to FM, no subs.

I've listen to many drivers in this Mmar cab and EL70s are my favorite match. I recommend going with this cab and you can always add a plain vanilla sub if you want more bass.

Mario

I built a mMar-Kel70 recently and have been impressed with what it does given the size of the cabinet and driver. Driven with a Hypex UcD it gives clear mids and high frequencies and articulate bass. The Deci-size cabinet would be even better (what I gather from various posts).

Thanks for your reply.
I am a little bit pessimistic:

...would mean, there is not much bass, it sounds a little forced, and is a bit flabby.

The thing is: if I have not much bass, I would like it at least to be well articulated and fast. Maybe a slightly bigger sealed box would be more optimal?

No, it's not flabby and there is plenty of it for my taste. The sound difference between the small and large cabinets is hard to describe. The EL70 is well regarded to be extremely versatile and there are many proven cabinet designs.

I don't think you'd be disappointed. Also, if you buy the plan set from Planet 10 Hifi there is a really sharp trapezoidal design in there that might fit between the mMar and the Mar. I have been considering it.

KM

Hi, ok, it seems i was a little too pessimistic.
It probably turns out to be a mmar-kel70 after all, unless...

I am googling the diy speaker basics right now. Just in case, that I decide to built my own "design". In my mind it is quite simple: Wooden box, some foam, and a big hole in the front: finished sealed loudspeaker...

Ok, serious now: how difficult is it to built a sealed bookshelf speaker with a FR-driver?
This is maybe the most simple speaker to built, so I am considering to give it a try.
Can there much go wrong with the EL70?

I put mine in a sealed box for desktop use. The bass is pathetic. Because it's sealed. It's to be expected you'll lose nearly an octave of bass going sealed. Which is huge. I did this intentionally because I use eq to bring the bass back up. But if this is for livingroom use, don't even think about it. You'll run out of amp and/or excursion very quickly. If it's for desktop use, well, it's pretty hard to beat ;)

EDIT - Ah, posting while you posted Kyle. Thanks.

OK, convinced. I guess it´ll have to work without an equalizer.
Thanks for your help guys, I see much clearer now.

I think I will choose between the mmar-kel70 and the trapezoidal mystery-design. Is "dave" actually "planet10"? Should I PM him for some information?

As Kyle already confirmed, yes Dave constitutes the major mass of the Planet10 "system" - but there are smaller planetoids in irregular orbits ;) . He doesn't accept PMs, but monitors these fora enough to maybe catch the query - best case though would be to email directly via the commercial site listed below.

Without bragging too much, I've probably built as wide a range of enclosures for the EL70 as anyone, and can certainly confirm that it's widely adaptable. Spoiler alert /disclaimer as I think Kyle and /or Ryan have heard me exclaim in more than one listening session - it's probably my overall favorite of Mark's drivers.

It'll work well enough in smallish (5-6L) vented boxes, but starts to shine in medium size (12L or so) vented and floor-standing MLTLs. At last count, the subscription plan-set dated March 2012 has over a dozen design drawings (some are variations for different material thicknesses) - and I'll admit to not having built them all.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
EL70 Sealed:

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• EL70-sealed-sim.gif
    EL70-sealed-sim.gif
    14.5 KB · Views: 457
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The mystery trapezoid is the same volume & alignment as the fullsize Mar-Kel70, and often has people looking for the subwoofer. Called "Trapezoid" Mar-Kel Floorstander MkIII (not to be confused with the trapezoid stand-mounts.

Bernie's solid yellow cedar build.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Chris' plywood with stained cherry veneer

Mar-Kel70-Trap-FS-comp.jpg

Interesting measurements, F3 is really a little bit high at 80-90 Hz.
Since all three curves are black, I guess the one with the big hump at 180 Hz is in the 55L box (!?)

Do you happen to have mmar-kel-measurements for the low frequency part, too?
I found some curves from tuxedocevic in another thread, but not the low frequency part.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Since all three curves are black, I guess the one with the big hump at 180 Hz is in the 55L box (!?)

What measurements?

If you refer to the sealed sims i posted, the legend has the volume for each curve. Q=1 is ~2.7 litre.

And we know that F3 is meaningless when it comes to what we hear (Toole).One has to look at F6 and F10.

dave

That "big" hump is only ~1.5 dB. Not really that big. The chart has a more expanded scale than is usual.

Do you happen to have mmar-kel-measurements for the low frequency part, too?
I found some curves from tuxedocevic in another thread, but not the low frequency part.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.