effecient 2-3" element?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for guite effecient (>90dB/W) small element for 400-20k range with very smooth frequency response to be used with big wave guide (15" - 38cm).
Most of the element I have found are something like 82dB/W and they have sharp edges in the response indicating possible resonances.

Any proposals?

a compression driver? At 400hz? The Tangband W2 800SL is a 2 inch inverted dome widerange driver, around 89dBW, with an Fs of 160-200hz. In sims ive done, i can practically cross at 400hz. The response is very flat, a 10db rise in the last octave. Thhs might work well in a suitable CD waveguide, and may mitigate the HF roll off.
BUT, that is an absolute minimum.

If powerhandling and loud volumes are required, >95db, then perhaps a CD is a better bet, IF you can find one that has a low enough fs and the compromises higher up arent too great.

Last edited:
Faital 3F20 or 3F22 might be good...I don't know :p
I like the more techy TB W3-1285 Sg
http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w3-1285sg.htm
as it has a phase plug .
What may disturb when positioned in a WG, but that is true in any case,
it's the curvature of the external suspension, that may cause the very
first diffraction .... an inverted suspension sounds better, I guess.
Im' using a monacor SPX21 with a 8" WG, and I would like to try the
SPX20, which has an inverted suspension.
:)

lol Pico. I too would prefer the W3 1285SG, I have both these drivers and im VERY happy with both. Downside is the W3s sensitivity, which is quite low. At least a couple of dB less than the W2 800. The 2 inch TB is close to 90 dB which is why i bought 6 of them!

Last edited:
thanks RJ, I didnt know that. But are the CDs that exhibit -40db THD at 400hz? What you say is quite correct that there is plenty of 'throw away' SPL using compression drivers, but I think i would be concerned about the multiple resonance many CD have, particularly as low as 400hz. I havent tried that approach, so I dont wish to discourage others. My impression was the OP wanted a cone driver, though I may be wrong.

Hi mondogenerator, you are absolutely right, he is seeking a cone but a compression driver sounds so much better for demanding music with impact and dynamics (e.g., orchestral, movie soundtracks) (at least to me).

I'm not knowledgeable about the implications of using one on a constant-directivity waveguide except that the (various) Cornscala designs are often built that way (though many cross them higher).

I guess the "low crossers" are most typically the Klipschorn and LaScala modifiers, who have identified a handful of compression drivers that can handle it. I have been happy with the Klipsch K55V on a Fc 310Hz "Elliptrac 400", which can also handle a few (better-sounding) 2" drivers. Something similar is the "Volti Vittora" which looks like a LaScala but sounds much better (to me).

I can see the appeal of such waveguides, i merely havent made that 'jump'. What interests me is the loading of such 2inch drivers like the TBs, but getting the bandpass wide enough in hornresp is almost impossible for me. WAY off topic, so ill be quiet ;) For a cone driver of 2 inches the W2 800 is usefully sensitive, and sounds clean to my ears, and i padded them down 6 or 8 ohms, maybe 6dB. 1st order HP wí 47uF, not good. I ended up with a 2nd order at around 500hz. Stretched a bit lower than that, maybe JUST 400hz but i think i simmed it 3rd order to protect the driver. Max spl came out at ~95db. Knock 3dB off for a margin. Maybe a 2 incher isnt man enough for the job? Waveguiding here is a great advantage though. Personally, i would love to adapt RJ's 310hz ones for my TB W2s

TangBand W3-1285 and W2-800 looks promising. The other two have issue in the top octave.
W3-1285 looks actually very good because the top octave seems to be rising. Wave guide is not boosting the top octave at all and the boost max is somewhere 400-1k. This means that power handling should not be an issue.

I have no experience how compression drivers work with waveguides. Wave guides are any way far more flat than horns and therefore not loading element that much.
Is 2" compression driver behaving alone without horn as 2" flat cone?

Yes the TB drivers i mention both have a roughly 12dB rise in the uppermost octave which may be useful in extending the HF gain in a CD device where the HF output gain starts falling. I got these drivers for widerange tweeter essentially, i also have visatons 2 inch frs5x which are also very good, but perhaps slightly less sensitive. Very cheap and great value.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.