Classic Fonken GR

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I built this Classic Fonken GR a few years ago when the FE127E was widely available. I like this design alot; it fit my room, and sounded very good with a 10w son of zen. I've since burned out one of the drivers....fiddling with wires on the amp. I've looked through various threads on here, and couldn't really find anything definitive as to which driver would be a drop in replacement or as close to drop in as possible. I'd like to re-use these boxes if possible without much if any modification to the boxes themselves. I've looked at mark audio and others, but am currently lost....any help would be appreciated!!

box link: http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/FAL/box-plans/ClassicFonkenGR-map.pdf

Thanks!!

I built this Classic Fonken GR a few years ago when the FE127E was widely available. I like this design alot; it fit my room, and sounded very good with a 10w son of zen. I've since burned out one of the drivers....fiddling with wires on the amp. I've looked through various threads on here, and couldn't really find anything definitive as to which driver would be a drop in replacement or as close to drop in as possible. I'd like to re-use these boxes if possible without much if any modification to the boxes themselves. I've looked at mark audio and others, but am currently lost....any help would be appreciated!!

box link: http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/FAL/box-plans/ClassicFonkenGR-map.pdf

Thanks!!

well, if you've been quite happy with the FE127E, there may still be some "previously driven" kicking around, with or without polka dots - barring that, the most direct drop in replacement Fostex would probably be the FF125WK - of course the tuning might require some adjustment ( Dave could advise), and you'd be subject to the extended break-in that is possibly a distant memory to you now, but about which you're always reminded when firing up a new pair fresh from the box

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/220766-selling-pair-fostex-127e.html

The EL70 will fit nicely in the same volume, the tuning would need to be changed and the rebate and likely the holey brace, really only easierif the vent spacers are wider (ie lower tuning). I'm on the road so can't check my drawing.

The FF125wk would physicallt drop in (requiring some holey brace adjustment), but it really likes a smaller box, so for optimum results you'd need to add some solid fill inside (an opportunity to irregulize the inside -- see the "taking the air cavity to the next level" thread.

dave

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I picked up a pair of FE126En with intentions of building the Frugel-Horn Mk3. I'd like to drop in the FE126En in the box noted above for the purpose of driver break-in. Without physically modifying the GR box, is there any way to make these boxes 'liveable' while the FH3 is being built? BSC, added dampening...etc? I'm not after super great sound or accuracy, just a modification that's tolerable.

Thanks!!

-John

I picked up a pair of FE126En with intentions of building the Frugel-Horn Mk3. I'd like to drop in the FE126En in the box noted above for the purpose of driver break-in. Without physically modifying the GR box, is there any way to make these boxes 'liveable' while the FH3 is being built? BSC, added dampening...etc? I'm not after super great sound or accuracy, just a modification that's tolerable.

Thanks!!

-John

John: I think it's safe to say that the 126 will "work" well enough in this enclosure for break-in purposes, just don't expect the same LF performance possible with the FH3 or other capable BLH etc enclosure.
While EQ could be used to "lift" the sagging bass response, it would require substantially higher power levels, while the driver's X-Max would would still limit the attainable SPL

edit; well I see that Dave beat me with a shorter reply while I was multi-tasking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.