First build options - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2012, 03:35 AM   #31
RWB is offline RWB  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Is the Alpair 7 (1st gen) much better than the CHP-70 for mid range and treble? Or the CHR-70?
Old 10th October 2012, 08:58 AM   #32
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbond3rd View Post
Just one opinion -- the Mark Audio's are delightfully robust in their sound, enough for home theater. They can often be "plug and play" as long as you get them in the right box. Drawbacks: the Alpair 7 (and other metal-coned models in this line) can have a teensy bit of "zing" which is great on cymbals, but can annoy the really sensitive listener (but only slightly). Also, they can sound a little "smooth" in the upper treble (to me) and a bit less gutsy and "real" than paper (to my ears).

Over-generalizing, the Fostex are (usually but not always) fussier, more sensitive to the quality of the rest of the system, and can have audible limitations on certain records, but (for me) overall worth the trouble and have the potential to get closer to perfection. But it will take more effort to every part of the system, so is it worth it? For me, lately, yes but I wouldn't hesitate to go with the Mark Audio's and would in fact recommend them to people who want more of that "plug and play" thing.

One last note: don't ever touch the metal cones, and don't crank them up too loud. Oddly, the Fostex sound so delicate, yet can take a ridiculous pounding -- but the Mark Audios (despite the very robust sound) are comparatively delicate and break-able. I've never blown a Fostex but have blown multiple Mark Audio's (not a criticism, that's just how it goes).
"Zing" A bright top end is also a symptom of no baffle step compensation. No driver is plug and play. It is also a symptom of cone breakup.
To keep them alive, be sure to use a real HP crossover.
Old 10th October 2012, 10:54 AM   #33
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

RWB,

I have not heard the Alp 7 gen1; have listened to Alp 7.3 and to my ears it is superior to the CHR70.2 in midrange and treble. CHP-70.1 being a paper cone is a bit different in presentation of midrange; in treble definitely Alpair is more extended and airy. A driver like the CHP-70.1 will be more forgiving of source and amp compared to the Alp 7 and, and the trade off will be a bit of midrange detail and treble extension. One other quality where I found Alp 7.3 to be superior is its ability to play complex material (vs not only CHP, also other drivers) and the separation of voices/instruments.

P10 and ChrisB should have a lot of expereince with the gen 1 Alp 7 and if they are following this thread maybe they can comment.

Last edited by zman01; 10th October 2012 at 11:06 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!