fostex recomended backloaded horn design for ff85wk - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2012, 09:50 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default fostex recomended backloaded horn design for ff85wk

have anybody tried below design for ff85wk?

http://www.fostexinternational.com/d...e/85k_encl.pdf
Old 2nd October 2012, 10:27 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

It's not for the FF85wk, it's for the defunct FF85k. That said, it should be big enough not to be as heavily affected as, say, a more tightly aligned BR or similar. I wouldn't be particularly inclined to use the 85 in this way. It's a mid-tweet & gives its best when used with LF support.
Old 2nd October 2012, 10:32 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
It's not for the FF85wk, it's for the defunct FF85k. That said, it should be big enough not to be as heavily affected as, say, a more tightly aligned BR or similar. I wouldn't be particularly inclined to use the 85 in this way. It's a mid-tweet & gives its best when used with LF support.
thats what i thought too, but as in the design, using two units in parallel caught my attention.
Old 2nd October 2012, 10:39 AM   #4
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

I've looked at this plan a few times, tempting. However I don't like that there are two drivers - that's like having 2 tweeters (per side).
Old 2nd October 2012, 05:00 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

if wanting to try the 85WK in a BLH, I'd be inclined to consider the FH3- one of mr Moose's more brilliantly flexible contraptions - but as he noted above, it tends to really shine when hi-passed (anywhere from 160 - 330Hz*) , and supported by stereo woofers

* even at the higher end of this range, the parts for high level passive can be bulky and not inexpensive - bi-amping with line level passive or digital ( MiniDSP / Behringer, et al) is well worth the extra time and expense, if only for the flexibility of fine tuning.

easy to say for a guy with all FR systems at home - my only XO consists of the DSP in Denon receiver.
Old 2nd October 2012, 06:38 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

We have speculated that a pair of FF85wk would work in FH3, but haven't yet had enuff free units to try the idea out. Do it with removable baffle and if it doesn't work out, any of the known working drivers can be subbed in.

But as Chris says, to really shine in anything but low level little bass required situations, they become a no excuses required system -- still won't move air like a set of 604s, but some people just don't have the room. I know for instance that Scott would love a set of 604s with dual 15" helper woofers, but is mostly restricted to his uFonken daily drivers (he has a pair of the same woofers Chris has in his HT, unused under his bed -- if he felt really bass deprived, they would have been in boxes long ago )

dave
Old 3rd October 2012, 03:41 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

cost wise its more sensible to go for a bigger single driver (may be fe166En) rather than struggling with two smaller units! so dropping the idea. thanks for the inputs
Old 3rd October 2012, 05:14 AM   #8
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

soundnovice,

FE166En will have totally different cabinet requirements - the BLHs for that driver are pretty big IIRC,
Old 3rd October 2012, 03:06 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quite. And it's not necessarily 'more sensible' -it depends on what your requirements in the first place are.

I must be getting predictable in my old age. I'd love a set of 604s, although if I wanted / had the space (& money) for twin 15s, I'd probably go with a compression mid-tweet (all Altec, naturally).
Old 3rd October 2012, 03:15 PM   #10
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm surprised! Being British, I figured Vitavox would be preferred.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!