fostex recomended backloaded horn design for ff85wk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's not for the FF85wk, it's for the defunct FF85k. That said, it should be big enough not to be as heavily affected as, say, a more tightly aligned BR or similar. I wouldn't be particularly inclined to use the 85 in this way. It's a mid-tweet & gives its best when used with LF support.
thats what i thought too, but as in the design, using two units in parallel caught my attention.

if wanting to try the 85WK in a BLH, I'd be inclined to consider the FH3- one of mr Moose's more brilliantly flexible contraptions - but as he noted above, it tends to really shine when hi-passed (anywhere from 160 - 330Hz*) , and supported by stereo woofers

* even at the higher end of this range, the parts for high level passive can be bulky and not inexpensive - bi-amping with line level passive or digital ( MiniDSP / Behringer, et al) is well worth the extra time and expense, if only for the flexibility of fine tuning.

easy to say for a guy with all FR systems at home - my only XO consists of the DSP in Denon receiver.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We have speculated that a pair of FF85wk would work in FH3, but haven't yet had enuff free units to try the idea out. Do it with removable baffle and if it doesn't work out, any of the known working drivers can be subbed in.

But as Chris says, to really shine in anything but low level little bass required situations, they become a no excuses required system -- still won't move air like a set of 604s, but some people just don't have the room. I know for instance that Scott would love a set of 604s with dual 15" helper woofers, but is mostly restricted to his uFonken daily drivers (he has a pair of the same woofers Chris has in his HT, unused under his bed -- if he felt really bass deprived, they would have been in boxes long ago :D)

dave

I admit, I do like the Vitavox gear. My friend Steve who lives about a mile up the road ran Vitavox compression units for a couple of years before he shifted to big Beyma AMTs a few months ago. Can't really object to the drivers, although they probably would have benefited from better horns -the multicell ones they were in were OK, but I suspect could have been usefully improved on. I'd still go down the Altec route though if I could.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.