Fostex FX120 Double Bass Reflex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

In case anyone is interested. I have just finished a double bass reflex box using a Fostex FX120 driver. The building plan and a picture is attached. There is a bit of damping in the smaller chamber and none in the larger. I did not use any correction network. So there is just plain wire between the amp and the driver. I used 16mm birch plywood for the box.

I broke them in using a 16Hz test tone for about a day. After that the sound was balanced. I have placed them fairly close to the wall. About 15cm.

Sound: Very subjective of course, but I think very clean, extremely detailed and very live like direct sound. Astonishing bass performance, but below 50Hz is missing. Voices sound just fantastic. Jazz music with them is awesome and very realistic. Miles sounds like he is performing in my living room. Classical music I did not try, but pop, rock etc. sound also great. They also can go loud.

Best

Michael

Attachments

• FX120.jpg
    FX120.jpg
    893.9 KB · Views: 571
  • DBR120_encl.pdf
    47.9 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
nice art.

How much bass are you expecting from 66.5cm2" ?????????????

But, congrats, it looks really nice.

How's the phase wrap in the male voice ?
Do you hear it ?
What are the 2 frequencies that it is tuned to ?

The double tuning seems to be a great tool to reduce excursion (always a plus!).

Maybe someday I'll try some fx120's, but not this year.

Norman

nice art.

How much bass are you expecting from 66.5cm2" ?????????????

But, congrats, it looks really nice.

How's the phase wrap in the male voice ?
Do you hear it ?
What are the 2 frequencies that it is tuned to ?

The double tuning seems to be a great tool to reduce excursion (always a plus!).

Maybe someday I'll try some fx120's, but not this year.

Norman

I do not hear any phase wrap in male voices. Louis Armstrong sounds natural and so does Buble, or Eagles, Tom Petty etc.

As for the tuning, the smaller chamber is tuned to 100Hz, the second and larger one to 60 Hz. (Also see the enclosure plan).

By the way, I was not complaining about lack of base. On the contrary. Bass is well defined, not boomy, dry and with enough umpf. you can pysically feel it. When sitting at the listening position everything is fine. What I meant was, they dont make the house shake :)

Michael

Certainly a robust sounding speaker, probably #1 in the bass department for that size driver.

I tried to make Double - DBR boxes, Ha! sounds like me, but it didn't work as well as hoped, the sound was just confusing :confused:

(the bottom half makes a good stand, removed the drivers)

Nice wood work! You should try that driver in a Onken, you'll be surprised:

(1) you won't lose much bass

(2) they will image a whole lot better

Attachments

• DSC02154.JPG
    DSC02154.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 506
Hi,

these are the recomended enclosures, that came with the driver, aren't they?
If so, tried them, but for me bass just was not right...

Now mine run in a QB5 enclosure and a sub below 80Hz, much better to me.

But I could never position them close to the backwall, maybe this makes a big difference?

Michael

Hope this doesn't go much off-topic: I am wondering if anyone had a chance to compare FX120 and FE103-En at higher ovtaves? Say above 5 kHz. One particular point in mind is that the moving mass of 103 is half of mms of 120. Being very happy with 103 above 500 Hz, crossed with first order active filter, I am thinking baybe I should give a try to 120 and reduce my xo point?? My 103 run on OB btw...

I've neither, but I'd imagine the 103 would work better in that application of 500hz 6db.

I think with a 6db, you could try for a lower X-over point with a larger (but heavier) driver. And without a whizzer, I'd imagine the highs and ultra highs would be worse, and less dispersion up high.

Norman

Zimmer64, Here's a large Onken enclosure for the 120 (right before trimming the front). This would have as much bass as the tall DBR and you'll get the imaging.

Not sure why the DBR won't image, maybe because the top "box" is so small.

Attachments

• Fonken 4.jpg
    Fonken 4.jpg
    454.2 KB · Views: 292
An FL? :confused:

On the principle that I suspect somebody is going to ask at some point or other:

Left hand column: Fostex design sans damping.
Middle column: Fostex design with damping.
Right hand column: with electrodes attached to testicles, my prefered DBR alignment for the FX120 if a box of roughly similar size is required.

Attachments

• FX120 DBR.png
    FX120 DBR.png
    128.6 KB · Views: 245
An FL? :confused:

On the principle that I suspect somebody is going to ask at some point or other:

Left hand column: Fostex design sans damping.
Middle column: Fostex design with damping.
Right hand column: with electrodes attached to testicles, my prefered DBR alignment for the FX120 if a box of roughly similar size is required.

an image even a graying balding senior with STML will need some help wiping .... what were you talking about, Kylie you say?

edit:

funny you mentioned the DBR - isn't that where our friend Doug started off, just over a year ago (memory's a bit foggy - must be the Jameson)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.