Which design for CHP-70.1 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2012, 07:00 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Small digression :-) Bought a pair of CHP70 Mark 2's.. they proved erm.. disapointing. No Biggie as what can one honestly expect from a $40 driver.
Now broken in 125 ~ hours logged. Tried them again today. Initially sounded fine. Then noticed their Ssssiblance on Every high note.
It'ssss sssseriously annoying, rendering them usssssless for listening purposssssesss. Remembering that these are claimed as rolled off in the higher freqs .
My A**!
These are Chinee Crap speakers... period.
Gee who woulda thought Plastic chassis speakers wouldn't be outstanding.
Maybe I should Slather them in Ductseal and Fingernail paint Patterns on them??? Perhaps using Mr Floaty as a crayon.
IF you think these are 'good' then I can Only assume that the reviewers' reference points are completely inadequate.
Hey! some are convinced MacDonalds makes Good burgers too
Clearly there's No underestimating North American tastes..something Long Proven and the historical basis for some serious Profiting.
I can accept that these Lillipution widgets are Not going to have impressive dynamics.. Dohh!
But It would be nice IF they could do a passable job on basic frequencies.
Note that this was tried on a long standing tube /ss amp setup which has NO sibilance whatsover.
Disbelieving, I retested using 2 separate speaker systems and then triple checked with 2 Headphones.
ONLY the Mark Audio crap things had Sssss's.
A Mark Audio issue NOT the system
Impressive product indeed !! Remind me to buy More :-)
MY Current opinion is that these cheapish ~$40 drivers have an effective value of 25 Cents...Maybe.
Yeah I'm a little pissed, Mostly at myself, for believing the internet Drivel in the first place.
Mine are going into the trash bin.
Caveat Emptor applies Kiddies .
Thanks for the helpful post...
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:18 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Small digression :-) Bought a pair of CHP70 Mark 2's.. they proved erm.. disapointing. No Biggie as what can one honestly expect from a $40 driver.
Now broken in 125 ~ hours logged. Tried them again today. Initially sounded fine. Then noticed their Ssssiblance on Every high note.
It'ssss sssseriously annoying, rendering them usssssless for listening purposssssesss. Remembering that these are claimed as rolled off in the higher freqs .
My A**!
These are Chinee Crap speakers... period.
Gee who woulda thought Plastic chassis speakers wouldn't be outstanding.
Maybe I should Slather them in Ductseal and Fingernail paint Patterns on them??? Perhaps using Mr Floaty as a crayon.
IF you think these are 'good' then I can Only assume that the reviewers' reference points are completely inadequate.
Hey! some are convinced MacDonalds makes Good burgers too
Clearly there's No underestimating North American tastes..something Long Proven and the historical basis for some serious Profiting.
I can accept that these Lillipution widgets are Not going to have impressive dynamics.. Dohh!
But It would be nice IF they could do a passable job on basic frequencies.
Note that this was tried on a long standing tube /ss amp setup which has NO sibilance whatsover.
Disbelieving, I retested using 2 separate speaker systems and then triple checked with 2 Headphones.
ONLY the Mark Audio crap things had Sssss's.
A Mark Audio issue NOT the system
Impressive product indeed !! Remind me to buy More :-)
MY Current opinion is that these cheapish ~$40 drivers have an effective value of 25 Cents...Maybe.
Yeah I'm a little pissed, Mostly at myself, for believing the internet Drivel in the first place.
Mine are going into the trash bin.
Caveat Emptor applies Kiddies .
Whatever else you might think, and I havn't heard them yet this is an amusing piece of writing, made me laugh first thing in the morning.
Old 3rd October 2012, 03:10 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Bare,

I have to ask: Did you try a couple different amps with the CHP-70.2?

I had a problem with sibilance on an amp/SFRD combo. Switching to another amp fixed all.

Amp/speaker synergy can be down right weird sometimes!

Cheers, Jim
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:31 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

By the way, I've ordered the CHP70 generation 1, not the MK2's..
Old 3rd October 2012, 10:45 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Completely different unit from the Gen.2; TTBOMK, everything apart from the frame is different. The original is the more useable driver IMO, although used properly, the Gen.2 would make for a useful small wideband midbass.
Old 3rd October 2012, 11:20 PM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
everything apart from the frame is different.
Actually the frame is slightly different too...

dave
Old 8th December 2012, 09:10 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Just as an update. Me and a friend built these in a week in November. I still have to finish the cabinets, although my wife does like the look of the naked mdf and the chp-70 drive unit... Go figure!
Anyway, all I can say is what a revelation! I have owned many commercial speakers over the years some of them costing many thousands of pounds. I'm not saying these are loads better, but I'm certainly not missing them, and that is the biggest compliment I can pay them. They are wonderfully clear and transparent. They image beautifully, and the bass is quite excellent. Detail is phenomenal too, I'm hearing things in some tracks that honestly I've never heard before.
Compared to my 15,000 previous system, I now have a very modest one. Squeezebox Touch, Bereseford Bushmaster DAC, pioneer A-300R. I am blown away every time I listen.
Also there is the satisfaction of having built them myself, I'm hooked!
For any naysayers out there, you owe it to yourself to have a go, they are truly wonderful and many thanks to the guys who put so much time in to designing and offering the plans for nowt... A truly genuine thank you.
Old 8th December 2012, 10:25 AM   #18
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooler King View Post
Just as an update. Me and a friend built these in a week in November. I still have to finish the cabinets, although my wife does like the look of the naked mdf and the chp-70 drive unit... Go figure!
Anyway, all I can say is what a revelation! I have owned many commercial speakers over the years some of them costing many thousands of pounds. I'm not saying these are loads better, but I'm certainly not missing them, and that is the biggest compliment I can pay them. They are wonderfully clear and transparent. They image beautifully, and the bass is quite excellent. Detail is phenomenal too, I'm hearing things in some tracks that honestly I've never heard before.
Compared to my 15,000 previous system, I now have a very modest one. Squeezebox Touch, Bereseford Bushmaster DAC, pioneer A-300R. I am blown away every time I listen.
Also there is the satisfaction of having built them myself, I'm hooked!
For any naysayers out there, you owe it to yourself to have a go, they are truly wonderful and many thanks to the guys who put so much time in to designing and offering the plans for nowt... A truly genuine thank you.
Which cabinet did you eventually build? FHMk3? Photos please....
Congratulations and welcome to the 'hooked on diy' club!
Old 8th December 2012, 10:43 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Yes it was the FH MK3, hare are the speakers in situ. I'll try and post some of the build later.
Cheers

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 8th December 2012, 10:47 AM   #20
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Very nice. The simplicity of the setup is awesome. Only the last photo shows, the rest say that image no longer there on photobucket. Thanks for sharing.

Hide this!Advertise here!