FR Newbie, Likes All Kinds Of Music - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2012, 11:49 AM   #1
stlblue is offline stlblue  United States
diyAudio Member

Default FR Newbie, Likes All Kinds Of Music

Greetings All:

Need to replace Altec 604's with smaller cabinets. I'm very interested in FR's, but I like all kinds of music. One minute I could be listening to Sinatra, then next it's The Who. On to Anita Baker, then SRV. Next could be John Denver, then Pavarotti. Gospel for a while, then on to classical. You get the picture...

I realize there are always compromises, but considering the fact I'll be using a Red Wine Audio 30 watt amp (will be looking at an F3, later), what drivers would you recommend I consider, based on the diverse music interest? - Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 02:29 PM   #2
MPM is offline MPM  United States
diyAudio Member

How small are the smaller cabinets you talk about? This can make a difference in the suggested driver. To me, when I think small cabinets I also add a subwoofer(bass module, call it what you want) to the mix.

For everyday listening my 2.1 setup in the bedroom works very well. From parts-express.com a Dayton 2.1 amp. It drives a Tuba18 from billfitzmaurice.com and some 3" tangbands in a sealed box. Works better than it should.
Old 29th September 2012, 02:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblue View Post
Greetings All:

Need to replace Altec 604's with smaller cabinets. I'm very interested in FR's, but I like all kinds of music. One minute I could be listening to Sinatra, then next it's The Who. On to Anita Baker, then SRV. Next could be John Denver, then Pavarotti. Gospel for a while, then on to classical. You get the picture...

I realize there are always compromises, but considering the fact I'll be using a Red Wine Audio 30 watt amp (will be looking at an F3, later), what drivers would you recommend I consider, based on the diverse music interest? - Thanks

I would look at planet 10 and e-mail dave he has being doing this fullrange driver thing for years. I would start from the bottom. I would buy 3 brands of small fullrange drivers. Fostex,mark audio and tang band. I would start with the fostex Fe103en or fe126en, or the ff125wk drivers. then look at the mark audio drivers CHR -70 or the Alpair 6-m drivers. Now look at the tang band drivers W4-1320sif or the same driver but a 3 inch and a better magnet. The W3-1364sa or the 5 inch driver from tang band. The W5-1661saf drivers. I can't say to much about all these drivers but, I can tell you am a fostex fan. In all the years I have had fostex drivers no matter how hard I push the drivers they stand the test of time and last for for me. Again I would contact dave from planet 10 and ask him what he thinks. Cheers jm

Last edited by cross reference; 29th September 2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 29th September 2012, 08:42 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPM View Post
How small are the smaller cabinets you talk about? This can make a difference in the suggested driver. To me, when I think small cabinets I also add a subwoofer(bass module, call it what you want) to the mix.

For everyday listening my 2.1 setup in the bedroom works very well. From parts-express.com a Dayton 2.1 amp. It drives a Tuba18 from billfitzmaurice.com and some 3" tangbands in a sealed box. Works better than it should.
8" or 10". I have been looking at the Zu Omens & Tekton Lores (those are acceptable cabinet sizes), but wonder if I could do better (aka cheaper) myself. Perhaps I don't need an additional HF driver...added costs and reduced imaging(?). I really don't want to go any bigger that the TT-2000: Speakers - FredT300B's Photos

Maybe I can go w/ a full range speaker & add a sub later (if needed). I want to stay away from PHY's & (premium) Seas. The 10" alnico AN's are an acceptable price, but really don't want to go higher (unless adding a ribbon tweeter would make that much difference).

I was going to build new cabinets for my 604's, but the significant other was not thrilled w/ it, to say the least. I'm trying to be respectful of her wishes & do something w/ higher WAF.
Old 29th September 2012, 08:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural sound View Post
I would look at planet 10 and e-mail dave he has being doing this fullrange driver thing for years. I would start from the bottom. I would buy 3 brands of small fullrange drivers. Fostex,mark audio and tang band. I would start with the fostex Fe103en or fe126en, or the ff125wk drivers. then look at the mark audio drivers CHR -70 or the Alpair 6-m drivers. Now look at the tang band drivers W4-1320sif or the same driver but a 3 inch and a better magnet. The W3-1364sa or the 5 inch driver from tang band. The W5-1661saf drivers. I can't say to much about all these drivers but, I can tell you am a fostex fan. In all the years I have had fostex drivers no matter how hard I push the drivers they stand the test of time and last for for me. Again I would contact dave from planet 10 and ask him what he thinks. Cheers jm
Thanks, I should have mentioned that 8" or 10" are acceptable. I'm just trying to eliminate the 9 cubic foot boxes the Altecs would require. When my girlfriend said, "I don't want those in my family room," I said in jest, "Then you don't want me in your family." She has relented, but I am willing to compromise, to a degree.
Old 29th September 2012, 08:57 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Me, i haven't yet found a big driver i really like (ie 6" or bigger). But you are coming from a really big driver. You might look to something with twin Alpair 10.2. Or the TB W8-1808 (i think they are overpriced, but lots of people really like them)

Tanken 1808 (Tang Band 1808)

dave
Old 29th September 2012, 09:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
How small? My A12p Super Pencils seem happy playing anything, but they aren't diminutive @ 10" wide x 19" deep x 37" tall, plus another 4" for the riser stands.

jeff
Old 30th September 2012, 12:46 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Very nice.
Old 30th September 2012, 02:39 AM   #9
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm just trying to eliminate the 9 cubic foot boxes the Altecs would require. When my girlfriend said, "I don't want those in my family room," I said in jest, "Then you don't want me in your family." She has relented, but I am willing to compromise, to a degree.
Based on your listening habits and current speakers, shifting to a 'FR' system is an exercise in futility. The Lores size is almost doable for the 604 except turn it sideways and increase this 'width' just enough to physically install the 604.

If you decide to go this route, PM me and I'll work up the rest of the design.

GM
Old 30th September 2012, 04:46 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Based on your listening habits and current speakers, shifting to a 'FR' system is an exercise in futility. The Lores size is almost doable for the 604 except turn it sideways and increase this 'width' just enough to physically install the 604.

If you decide to go this route, PM me and I'll work up the rest of the design.

GM

+1

Hide this!Advertise here!