MA EL70's...what's next?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2012, 11:54 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default MA EL70's...what's next??

Hello

So...story...I bought a set of EL70's from Dave a while ago...very nice little speaker...but what didn't grab me is how they faded away at lower volumes...they just didn't keep their presence...

Which speaker does and still provide a full bodied bass with full, liquid mids and smooth highs??

Any size between 4" and 8" is fine...

I don't have the EL70's anymore...I passed them on to a friend for one of his projects

Thanks kindly!!!
Old 29th September 2012, 12:06 AM   #2
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
but what didn't grab me is how they faded away at lower volumes...they just didn't keep their presence...
all my speakers seem to fade when I turn the volume down

seriously, I never had this issue with my EL-70's - sure it isn't an amp problem?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 29th September 2012, 12:39 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hey!!

Thanks for the reply!!

Well...at the time I had two amps...an RH84 build tube amp and my Virtue Audio TWO.2...didn't matter which one...

I'm thinking I need a more forward sounding speaker...not bright...more front row rather than back of the theater...

I have a Morel\Visaton build right now...using the KE25 ceramic tweeter...that is a very forward sounding tweeter that puts the performers right in my living room...

I was hoping to accomplish something like that in a single driver as I really have liked the single driver sound...mostly LOL!!!
Old 29th September 2012, 01:26 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Check out Fletcher-Munson equal loudness curves

dave
Old 29th September 2012, 01:52 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks!! I'll check into that!!

Before the MA's, I had a set of Hemp FR4.5C's...they were really good at low volumes but didn't have the same nice tone as the Mark's...so I'm kinda wanting something that would combine both...does that even exist??
Old 29th September 2012, 02:04 AM   #6
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

The Hemp drivers are a bit more sensitive than the EL-70's and they have a rising treble response; this may lead to them sounding more alive.

I don't like a rising treble response myself, but if you do, then some of the Fostex drivers might be of interest to you.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 29th September 2012, 02:32 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Fostex's...at least the ones I've heard...are shouty...is that for all??
Old 29th September 2012, 02:58 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
The Hemp drivers are a bit more sensitive than the EL-70's
Something like 6dB more sensitive, 9dB more efficient.

dave
Old 29th September 2012, 03:21 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Here was my MA measurement...I thought it measured very well!!

Like I said, if they would have given me a bit more presence at lower volumes, I would have been extremely happy!!

Oh...and I looked at that chart...my low volumes are around 60db...normal listening is around 70'ish db...that's where I need performance...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mark Audio EL70 DEQX Measurement.jpg (463.3 KB, 171 views)
Old 29th September 2012, 03:24 AM   #10
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Dave,

How about A12 metal in a 'Ken or DBR box? Should have more presence and more sensitivity. You have a pair, right?

Hide this!Advertise here!