Jordan jx92s fullrange drivers vs other fullrange drivers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2012, 08:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canton Michigan
Default Jordan jx92s fullrange drivers vs other fullrange drivers?

Hello all. I was wondering how the jordan fullrange drivers stack up next to the mark audios and fostex and tang band drivers? I might have a friend looking for a pair of them. So I was wondering about reviews and testing?Thanks jm
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 09:04 PM   #2
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Hope I don't come come across as being facetious, but using the search feature one can find MASSES of data re sound of these drive units.......
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 10:14 PM   #3
The one and only
 
Nelson Pass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
I've had a set of J92S in sealed boxes for years. They still hold up nicely
in day to day listening. Not flashy, not the ultimate in sound, not very
efficient, don't play very loud, but very satisfying over the long haul.

  Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 01:23 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canton Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippy View Post
Hope I don't come come across as being facetious, but using the search feature one can find MASSES of data re sound of these drive units.......

Yes this is true but, on this forum we help each other out thats what I thought
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 01:29 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canton Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Pass View Post
I've had a set of J92S in sealed boxes for years. They still hold up nicely
in day to day listening. Not flashy, not the ultimate in sound, not very
efficient, don't play very loud, but very satisfying over the long haul.



Thanks for the info. I am just debaiting if I sould buy the old jx92s or the new HD 100 same jx92 but, new cones and design. Do they have that metal ring some metal drivers have? Also is thier speaker cone thin like the mark audios I hate to bring them in the post? Also when I called the american E.J. Jordan seller theytold me if you put the jordans next to anything out there they will sink them? I know how sales people can go over the top with things that why I wrote this post. This might be my last pair of drivers this year? Christmas is coming up. Thanks jeff
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 02:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
I have a pair of JX92S which really rock out. There are small, medium and large cabinet options which is great. Mine ended up in a BiB which had gobs of bass (I used them as 2-channel home theater).

When I got re-interested in jazz and (small-scale) classical, I went back to small paper-coned drivers. For me, metal cones are great at clarity and bass, but don't quite do (e.g.,) the attack on a cello, or violin, or strings generally (for my particular ears). So you have to own a pair of each (metal and paper).

In terms of new vs. old, personally, I think it's fun to have the new stuff. But if you get a great bargain on the old ones, you have a lot of proven designs to consider. We are spoiled with some excellent choices right now. Chances are you'll end up buying them all eventually
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 02:36 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Dufus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbond3rd View Post
I have a pair of JX92S which really rock out. There are small, medium and large cabinet options which is great. Mine ended up in a BiB which had gobs of bass (I used them as 2-channel home theater).

When I got re-interested in jazz and (small-scale) classical, I went back to small paper-coned drivers. For me, metal cones are great at clarity and bass, but don't quite do (e.g.,) the attack on a cello, or violin, or strings generally (for my particular ears). So you have to own a pair of each (metal and paper).

In terms of new vs. old, personally, I think it's fun to have the new stuff. But if you get a great bargain on the old ones, you have a lot of proven designs to consider. We are spoiled with some excellent choices right now. Chances are you'll end up buying them all eventually

That's interesting! Most of the guys using the JX92 say they excel with jazz and classical.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 02:49 PM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Hi Dufus,

I have a modified Klipschorn for classical so that is my "standard" by which to judge, e.g., huge orchestral swells, dynamics, Stravinsky etc. But even that didn't do the small-scale classical as well as a small paper cone or for that matter, a bigger paper cone

As far as jazz goes, I'm a newbie so I wouldn't put much stock in my opinion. Metal cones are just different, not better or worse, but different, to me. And paper has its problems obviously. I want to own 'em all.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 03:24 PM   #9
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member
 
GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chamblee, Ga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dufus View Post
That's interesting! Most of the guys using the JX92 say they excel with jazz and classical.
When positioned well off axis, typically 30-45 deg depending on the room conditions, otherwise best to add a decent ribbon or planar tweeter like Jim Griffin did.

GM
__________________
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 07:46 PM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canton Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbond3rd View Post
I have a pair of JX92S which really rock out. There are small, medium and large cabinet options which is great. Mine ended up in a BiB which had gobs of bass (I used them as 2-channel home theater).

When I got re-interested in jazz and (small-scale) classical, I went back to small paper-coned drivers. For me, metal cones are great at clarity and bass, but don't quite do (e.g.,) the attack on a cello, or violin, or strings generally (for my particular ears). So you have to own a pair of each (metal and paper).

In terms of new vs. old, personally, I think it's fun to have the new stuff. But if you get a great bargain on the old ones, you have a lot of proven designs to consider. We are spoiled with some excellent choices right now. Chances are you'll end up buying them all eventually

So enlighten me. What paper drivers do you use right now if your not using the Jordans? Also thanks for info and the encouragement. Jm
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Philips FR drivers/ EV fullrange drivers/ Vintage Wharfedale x/overs devilsindetails Swap Meet 2 28th November 2011 12:09 AM
FS: 2 Jordan JX92s drivers ilewis33 Swap Meet 1 20th February 2009 05:08 PM
Pair Jordan JX92S drivers audiokinesis Swap Meet 5 23rd October 2008 05:26 PM
3 Jordan JX92S drivers! Audiohead2 Swap Meet 0 22nd December 2005 03:04 PM
Zobel with Jordan JX92s fullrange? cheesehead Full Range 23 28th September 2004 10:39 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:22 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2