Jordan jx92s fullrange drivers vs other fullrange drivers? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th September 2012, 11:51 PM   #31
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
I've heard the Jordans, though only for a few days. Then I got a pair of Alpair 10.2's with damaged cones, yet they were superior in every aspect from bottom to top. The Alpairs just blew away the Jordans. Too bad the cones are so fragile. If you touch the cones while playing, there will be a permanent dent there.
Old 30th September 2012, 11:56 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Thats why I was looking at the jordans because of thier long diy followers and all the post and box plans. If I buy apair it will be next feb. but, I have kids around so I would have to have my speakers in a place were the little fingers will not beable to touch the cones. I have already delt with that. Kids pushing in cones and poking fingers at the drivers. jm
Old 1st October 2012, 12:00 AM   #33
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Quote:
Originally Posted by natural sound View Post
Thats why I was looking at the jordans because of thier long diy followers and all the post and box plans. If I buy apair it will be next feb. but, I have kids around so I would have to have my speakers in a place were the little fingers will not beable to touch the cones. I have already delt with that. Kids pushing in cones and poking fingers at the drivers. jm
You can make a set of grills for them. Then the kids shall be stopped.
Old 1st October 2012, 12:13 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Yes grills. Hummm? I have not had grills in years. How would I make a grill? I guess I have some researching to do if I don't want the kids fingers poking that the cones. jm
Old 1st October 2012, 12:18 AM   #35
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
If you touch the cones while playing, there will be a permanent dent there.
You have to touch them pretty hard to dent them this way. I've yet to injure a set this way. Drop something on the cone it is a different story. But i've killed more Fostex than Mark Audio.

dave
Old 1st October 2012, 12:23 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Thanks dave. Your post is very helpful. Jm
Old 1st October 2012, 08:15 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

The Alpair cones are indeed delicate - I managed to put a couple of minor dinks in the cones, one by just knocking the cone with the end of a piece of wire. It doesn't seem to affect the sound, but I've learned to be careful in future.
Old 2nd October 2012, 01:32 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
I've heard the Jordans, though only for a few days. Then I got a pair of Alpair 10.2's with damaged cones, yet they were superior in every aspect from bottom to top. The Alpairs just blew away the Jordans. Too bad the cones are so fragile. If you touch the cones while playing, there will be a permanent dent there.
Should we just say, you liked 10.2 more? Superiority of one driver over another is a subjective choice, unless objective data, considering intended use is compared. I've measured both, 10.2 and various xj-92 versions. Really don't see the area where 10.2 would "blow away" 92. May be build in BSC? But then again, there are other aspects of performance such as ability to handle power at different voltage aka produced SPL or harmonic content.

Last edited by R-Carpenter; 2nd October 2012 at 01:40 AM.
Old 2nd October 2012, 07:27 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Carpenter View Post
Should we just say, you liked 10.2 more? Superiority of one driver over another is a subjective choice, unless objective data, considering intended use is compared. I've measured both, 10.2 and various xj-92 versions. Really don't see the area where 10.2 would "blow away" 92. May be build in BSC? But then again, there are other aspects of performance such as ability to handle power at different voltage aka produced SPL or harmonic content.
I appreciate what you are saying, but do you appreciate what we are saying? These are full range drivers, and roughly equivalent in size, so it's not a stretch of the imagination to simply compare what they sound like. If you listen to one for a few days and then listen to the other for a few days and your findings are "The Alpair 10s were superior in every aspect from bottom to top. The Alpairs just blew away the Jordans" then that's pretty much a straight A-B comparison. I found exactly the same and I'd have used exactly those words. I used identical cabinets and identical listening material and that's what I found.

It may of course be true that with OTHER parameters like BSC or 2-way use with tweeters or whatever you'd get a different set of results. But that's saying the Jordan's have the potential to deliver other things. I've heard Jordans sounding good with ribbon tweeters etc. But in a straight A-B full-range comparison in the same boxes, I can only agree that the Alpairs were top to bottom better sounding, and it wasn't subtle.
Old 2nd October 2012, 07:56 AM   #40
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjevans View Post
"The Alpair 10s were superior in every aspect from bottom to top. The Alpairs just blew away the Jordans"
I've owned 3 pair of JX92. Each successive pair an effort to make sure the ones before were an anomoly. I found the Alpair 10 better, but with some of the character of the JX92 -- the part that rubbed me the wrong way. The Alpair 10.2 is a great leap forward... i could happily live with them, just don't directly compare them to Alpair 7.x.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!