Driver Coupling - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2012, 03:01 AM   #1
FozzZ is offline FozzZ  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Driver Coupling

I have never built a Fullrange loudspeaker system (working on on it though), so I'm never sure if the "rules" I build Multi way speakers by are applicable. Just about ever speaker I've build for home use uses some form of driver coupling. Where the rear portion (usually the magnet or backplate) of a speaker is attached to the cabinet to support the motor structure and decrease driver resonance. But for some reason, I see Fullrange speakers in the same way I view a violin or other string instrument. The resonances are part of the design. And because of this, I should stray from reducing them. This normally goes against the grain for Multi ways, where resonance equals coloration.

I will be building a set of Maeshowe's later this year, and I'm trying to get my ducks in a row before I move forward.
Old 28th September 2012, 01:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Driver coupling is a feature of every Planet 10 design. Same for Woden Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by FozzZ View Post
I have never built a Fullrange loudspeaker system (working on on it though), so I'm never sure if the "rules" I build Multi way speakers by are applicable. Just about ever speaker I've build for home use uses some form of driver coupling. Where the rear portion (usually the magnet or backplate) of a speaker is attached to the cabinet to support the motor structure and decrease driver resonance. But for some reason, I see Fullrange speakers in the same way I view a violin or other string instrument. The resonances are part of the design. And because of this, I should stray from reducing them. This normally goes against the grain for Multi ways, where resonance equals coloration.

I will be building a set of Maeshowe's later this year, and I'm trying to get my ducks in a row before I move forward.
Old 28th September 2012, 08:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I don't see coupling of any kind in my drawing, but I will assume that I can go a head and couple the speaker.
Old 28th September 2012, 08:46 PM   #4
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Either the driver is a reproducer [braced] or a musical instrument [unbraced], so whether to brace or not depends on the app/personal preference.

GM
Old 28th September 2012, 08:57 PM   #5
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

P10 designs feature a vertical brace that joins the front to the back and top to the bottom. Careful cutting of the notch for the motor assy to sit against PLUS slight shimming puts things under VERY slight compression when the drive unit is bolted in place, its simple and it works, I know this 'cos my EmKens show no signs of buzzing in that area....... not that I'd be stupid enough to wind the loud dial to find out!
Old 28th September 2012, 11:48 PM   #6
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

There is no difference in the physics between full and multi driver systems. There seems to be two camps, really braced and as de-coupled as possible. Just one more thing to test one of these days.
Old 29th September 2012, 01:36 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

^^^^^part of me assumed this, but Fullrange still had/has some sort of "magic" that I dont understand. Which s the main reason I've been posting so many questions lately.
Old 29th September 2012, 03:55 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

My mistake on the Maeshowe. My personal choice is to build to the design. In this case Scott shows the driver uncoupled. I generally assume that I don't know more than the designer, otherwise I would be making my own design.

FWIW, another popular speaker design forum rarely has multi-way designs that coupled the driver. Well braced cabs to be sure, but no direct driver coupling. I am personally as yet unconvinced that it makes an audible difference with a well built cabinet, but as stated, I defer to the designer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FozzZ View Post
I don't see coupling of any kind in my drawing, but I will assume that I can go a head and couple the speaker.

Last edited by fastbike1; 29th September 2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 29th September 2012, 04:55 PM   #9
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

No magic in speakers. Just physics.
Old 29th September 2012, 05:19 PM   #10
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
No magic in speakers. Just physics.

well, just because some folks "understand" physics, doesn't mean it's still not magic to the rest of us

I'm still amazed that a (few) piece(s) of paper / plastic / metal foil moving back and forth can coax my brain into reconstituting such an emotionally satisfying illusion

but then it's a very simple brain - it doesn't understand physics

Hide this!Advertise here!