3" Audio Nirvana 2-way project - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th September 2012, 09:13 PM   #11
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
All of the above pretty well demonstrates why FAST has to be active crossed. Then you do not care about the efficiency of the two drivers. All is handled in the DSP or by adjusting the volume of the separate amps.

Bob
Bob - there are many who scoff at putting so much silicon in the signal chain - what has been your experience of the sound quality that can be achieved with a DSP in the picture - and are you using the mini-DSP that can be found on this forum ?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 27th September 2012, 10:10 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I agree with Bob that active is the way to go with FAST. For the cost of passive components alone it's worth it.

As for the sound quality. I haven't gotten to really gauge that yet unfortunately. I usually use my minidsp for testing things. Or when I run out of coils I'll try and do an A/B comparison tonight.
Old 28th September 2012, 03:21 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
Bob - there are many who scoff at putting so much silicon in the signal chain....
Do you have any idea how much silicon is in the chain that made the recording?

As you know from reading my posts, I personally do not like the lush sound that tubes add to the music. This is not a condemnation of tubes, just a statement of personal preference.

Quote:
- what has been your experience of the sound quality that can be achieved with a DSP in the picture
A decent DSP works wonders at fixing problems with speakers and rooms, But, be realistic in your expectiations. Try to fix the problems at their source. Now, is a flattened FR better than any noise created in the DSP? You will have to try it youself to decide.

Quote:
- and are you using the mini-DSP that can be found on this forum ?
Yes. However, to avoid as much signal degridation as possible, use the miniDigi SP/DIF interface. Otherwise, you are going DAC>ADC>processing>DAC. The miniDigi eliminates the first DAC>ADC conversions.

Bob
Old 28th September 2012, 06:14 AM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
All of the above pretty well demonstrates why FAST has to be active crossed.
To passively XO a FAST one has to VERY carefully choose drivers and boxes. It is much easier to go active.

We have usually been able to use PLLXOs (no silicon) on our active FASTs, again careful with drivers and boxes.

If one needs to go beyond the capabilities of PLLXO, then cascaded sections buffered with FETS likely does the least harm. There is at least 1 thread on this using Nelson's B1 as the buffers.

dave
Old 28th September 2012, 08:54 AM   #15
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
I used second order on the speaker I linked to combat these issues.
Hi,

Contemplation (or simulation) of a 1st order series (rather than parallel)
x/o will indicate the bass drivers inductance rise helps the series case
rather than hinders it as in the parallel case. Similarly the Fbox peak
of the FR is less of an issue, it doesn't peak up as it does with parallel.

Second order parallel is more flexible, as you can adjust Q and offset
the electrical x/o points, but sometimes 1st order series works well.

rgds, sreten.
Old 28th September 2012, 03:39 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten View Post
Hi,

Contemplation (or simulation) of a 1st order series (rather than parallel)
x/o will indicate the bass drivers inductance rise helps the series case
rather than hinders it as in the parallel case.

Right, thanks for pointing that out. Woofer breakup can still be an issue though, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten View Post

Similarly the Fbox peak of the FR is less of an issue, it doesn't peak up as it does with parallel.

You still get the peak. Sometimes it's wose, sometimes it's better than the parallel circuit. It's dependant on the woofer. And usually not as bad.

I confess I don't know much about series circuits, so if I'm wrong, I'm open to correction. I've alway found parallel to offer better control over the drivers individually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
I'll try and do an A/B comparison tonight.
Bob mentioned some good points about dsp. Last night I compared my active settings with minidsp to a passive circuit I'm working on, on a two-way. It's not a fair comparison because my passive xo is a work in progress, as they always are, where the dsp can give pretty much theoritically perfect results with some button clicks.

And that's exactly the sound I got. The active sounded theoritically perfect. Almost to perfect. No FR abberations, just perfect tonal balance. But I did feel it was almost robot like. Sometimes I preferred it, other times I did not. For the most part though, it was better.

There was some very very quite buzz in the system, only when I put my ear right up to the tweeter. The passive didn't have this.
Old 28th September 2012, 05:08 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thanks so much for all the replies I have a simple Gemini active crossover that I could try, but I don't have anything built just yet, just comtemplating the idea and if its feasible. I like what both of these drivers would offer me.

Has anyone here had any experience with the AN 3" driver and could chime in?
Old 3rd October 2012, 03:01 AM   #18
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Do you have any idea how much silicon is in the chain that made the recording?

As you know from reading my posts, I personally do not like the lush sound that tubes add to the music. This is not a condemnation of tubes, just a statement of personal preference.
I'm quite encouraged to try the mini-DSP one of these days. Perhaps in a future pre-amp project.

As for tubes - I wasn't really referring to tubes when I commented on too much silicon - I was simply saying that lots of electronics in the signal path is something that many audio enthusiasts worry about.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:16 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
....I wasn't really referring to tubes when I commented on too much silicon - I was simply saying that lots of electronics in the signal path is something that many audio enthusiasts worry about.
There are various levels of audio purism. Vinyl, tubes, no passive components, exotic wire, yada,yada. My motto is "Do what you need to do to get the results.

Bob
Old 3rd October 2012, 03:12 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

+1

Hide this!Advertise here!