3" Audio Nirvana 2-way project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Bob,

I've heard your rig at three LSAF shows now, and I am always amazed at the incredible "purist" sound you get with EQ etc.

Unlike you, I love the lush, romantic, analog-ish sound that I grew up with (defects and all). Yet somehow you have gotten a very tasty, relaxed (non-digital-ish) sound combining all your various digital techniques.

My theory is that you're using "just a pinch" of certain things, and it's the disciplined combination of everything (correcting major and some minor flaws) that gives the ear-pleasing, "ahhhh" natural response. If I hadn't heard your rig in person, I'd never believe the success of this approach. It's as if you're tuning your system like a musical instrument (no offense!)

What I've been trying to do is start with your approach of a distortion-free computer front-end, properly EQ'ed (using a measurement rig). And then, (is this purist, or non-purist?) I'm layering on a generous dose of warm, nostalgic, euphonic, retro tube-goo.

Now that I have found the ideal driver, I feel like I'm about 85% of the way there. If you're at LSAF next year, maybe I can work out the last 15% :)

....I'm layering on a generous dose of warm, nostalgic, euphonic, retro tube-goo.

That's fine because that's what you want to here. I will never denigrate what someone else likes, and by the same token, I resent someone telling me that my computer>T-amps rig can't possibly sound good.

If you're at LSAF next year....

Unfortunately, I doubt that I can make it in 2013. I have another commitment in that time frame.

Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.