Quick 'n fast- F.A.S.T - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2012, 05:36 PM   #11
philipc is offline philipc  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Vix, what is your main system on the slideshow? Tell us some more about it, it looks very serious!
Old 9th October 2012, 06:27 PM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

There is no question that FAST can produce an extremely good system. And at all levels of cost, from cheap to scary (ie the Feastrex/dual Audio Elegance OBs). XOs do not of necessity need to be active, althou given the component sizes of passive parts for an XO 100-400 Hz, there certainly is financial reason to take advantage of 2 amps. One of the most popular FASTs are variations on Martin Kings passive OB -- most people, i suspect, not even knowing they are building a FAST.

We keep exploring this nich, particularily with an eye to passive systems -- for some reason there is a big wall for some to consider active -- as we feel it offers the next of both worlds, and examples we have done to date certainly back that up.

dave
Old 9th October 2012, 06:34 PM   #13
Vix is offline Vix  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

Yes, it is my main system for a few years now. There is a thread somewhere. Initially it started as Visaton no-box design, but it has evolved so it has almost nothing to do with that.
I will try to keep it short: Open baffle, 120x50 cm , no side wings, woofer is sort of slot-loaded.
Woofer: Eminence Beta 15. Fullrange: Visaton B200, modified (phase plug +Enabl). Biamped:
Woofer: Sony TA-N511 amplifier. Fullrange: DIY Pass labs F3 without feedback. Crossover: Active, j-fet diy, hi-pass at around 150 Hz second order, lo-pass 85 Hz with bass boost. TV: Samsung D503
Many thanks to those who helped me to understand Open baffles and provided useful (golden) hints. I must mention three names: MJK, NP, and ZM
Old 9th October 2012, 06:37 PM   #14
Vix is offline Vix  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

If there was no Open Baffle, I would do FAST for sure, it's real bang for a buck. Sometimes I go to the basement to listen to it, just for fun, and to remind myself that a good sounding system doesn't necessarily mean expensive...
Old 9th October 2012, 06:41 PM   #15
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vix View Post
If there was no Open Baffle, I would do FAST for sure, it's real bang for a buck. Sometimes I go to the basement to listen to it, just for fun, and to remind myself that a good sounding system doesn't necessarily mean expensive...
Old 9th October 2012, 07:05 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
JH,

You're right about FAST - if properly set up can punch way above its weight class in terms of money spent and effort put in. I think what puts lof of people off is:

1. 2nd amp - what to buy? If you are driving subs definitely something with watts. I've found cheap Class D very handy.
Right. Regardless of what you use on the bottom, the XO will be low enough that the bottom amp doesn't matter.

Quote:
2. XO - how and with what - this is a major one IMHO.I've done with Foobar ASIO plug-in, but then that setting does not work for other Windows programs, right...? Maybe MiniDSP can be a quick and easy solution here? Then comes XO frequency....
Please stay away from the FB2K AISO plug-in. Use DS. The is absolutely no reason to screw with buggy ASIO drivers when DS works just fine. Unless your DAC won't work with DS (???), run, don't walk away.

miniDSP works just fine and is priced right. Do get the minDIGI to drive it with SP/DIF from your DAC.

You cross as low as you can without compromising the power/excursion rating of your top.

Quote:
3. Driver matching, building a sub - there are many drivers/designs available - but again, more research and building. Another apprehension - will the sub be able to pla high enough for XO to be workable at desired SPL? Will the FR unit be able to play loud enough w/o distortion down to that XO level?
Any competent 7-8" woofer will play plenty loud to keep up with a 3-4" FR. At the moment I'm looking at the Peerless 835026 and the Dayton RS-225-4. Now if you are only looking at buy-outs....

Quote:
Well helper "woofers" can be used too and should not have problems reaching higher XO frequencies vs subs
This depends a lot on how you intend to use your FAST speakers. If for music only, the above two woofers will get you well into the 30's. If you are doing serious HT with action movies, you need BIG sub(s) to do justice to LFE.

Bob
Old 9th October 2012, 07:09 PM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vix View Post
Woofer: Eminence Beta 15. Fullrange: Visaton B200, modified (phase plug +Enabl). Biamped: hi-pass at around 150 Hz second order, lo-pass 85 Hz with bass boost.
Vix, that sounds like another FAST to me

dave
Old 9th October 2012, 07:30 PM   #18
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Bob,

Thanks for addressing all the points/questions I raised - helpful for me and I hope for others too.

Excuse my ignorance - what do you mean by DS? The Foobar plug-in did not seem rock solid to me either - would love to try out a better alternative.

The sub woofer drivers I got would not be to to your liking I guess - TB W6-1139 - small high excursion drivers - a candidate for mushy bass off the edges IIRC from another post of yours. I do have an old pair of 12" woofers from another older 3 way box, can try that out too (when I get time and some help) - hope that will give more slam because of larger cone size. There's another thread on the MA forum that has come alive - using the Alp 7.3 with helper woofers and now tapped horns have been suggested...

I'll look up the woofers you've listed too. BTW, I am not a big fan of too much LF or very high SPL - probably that's one of the reasons full-range is working for me for a wide variety of music. Can't really get the heavy metal right though .
Old 9th October 2012, 08:07 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Excuse my ignorance - what do you mean by DS? The Foobar plug-in did not seem rock solid to me either - would love to try out a better alternative.
DS=DirectSound -- The native Windows audio engine. Look on the FB2K output menu. DS will always be there and unless you have something strange going on, the best choice. ASIO was a kludge to get around the very bad audio engine in Windows XP. ASIO is obsolete in this context.

Quote:
The sub woofer drivers I got would not be to to your liking I guess - TB W6-1139 - small high excursion drivers - a candidate for mushy bass off the edges IIRC from another post of yours.
The larger the excursion the more FM modulation you will have. This is why small FR drivers don't handle "complex" music will. You want the lowest excursion and highest Sd you can get within your other constrains. At the moment, I'm using a pair of 18" woofers under A7.3's

Quote:
There's another thread on the MA forum that has come alive - using the Alp 7.3 with helper woofers and now tapped horns have been suggested...
That's my thread. I think a tapped horn is overkill, way too big and doesn't understand the question. But, if you would like to do a tapped horn sub, have at it!

Quote:
I am not a big fan of too much LF or very high SPL - probably that's one of the reasons full-range is working for me for a wide variety of music. Can't really get the heavy metal right though .
It's not so much having a heavy bass as getting the balance right. A balanced bass adds substance and warmth to the music. I feel that a lot of FR speakers described on this forum seriously lack a real, firm bass. If you have heard real bass into the 16-32Hz octave, you know what I mean.

As for heavy metal, why? I know, if it's too loud, you are too old and I am definitely too old.

Bob
Old 9th October 2012, 08:25 PM   #20
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Umm... I would like to offer a different opinion to Bob's. DS is the worst when using Windows as the source. It does all kinds of up/downsampling of rates. If your USB DAC can only accept 16/44.1, then it doesn't matter if you're file is a hi-res 24/96, the DS mixer will downsample it for you and make it work with the DAC. Also, check what the USB receiver chip is capable of, not the DAC chip. Many DACs that boast of 24/192 capability and accept both USB and SPDIF have poor USB receiver chips that can only do 16/44.1. So, even though the DAC may be capable of higher rates, the USB receiver chip won't allow it. And if you're using the DS mixer, you'll never even know about it.

Regarding ASIO, I'm by no means an expert, but as I understand it, it bypasses the whole Windows Mixer (and this has been much improved in Vista and later) and opens a direct connection to the USB hardware. Thus, if your file is 24/96, that's the rate it will output. Now, if your DAC does not accept 24/96, nothing will happen. You may get errors.

It's best if your DAC comes with custom ASIO drivers. You should choose that option in Foobar. I've personally found the WASAPI plug-in to be excellent. You do have to manually change the rates in Foobar when switching between files at different sample rates. But it's totally worth the far superior sound quality.

Hide this!Advertise here!