Eminence 12LTA + Supertweeter (coax style) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2012, 06:14 PM   #1
kec is offline kec  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Eminence 12LTA + Supertweeter (coax style)

I've been working on an OB Beta 12LTA over Alpha 15 H frames. I know, that's not full range, but thought you full rangers might like this as well.

I finished the tweeter pods that mount to the pole piece on the 12LTA. Thanks go to Ron Brady over at the fullrangedriver forum for the idea. The Lanzar DCT's are available on ebay for $15 shipped. They have a supposed 96dB SPL. I'm currently using a 4.3 uF Solen cap that I had on hand. Ron recommends 4 uF high quality cap.

I used three 1/4" x 1/4" round neo magnets to secure the pod to the pole piece. It's strong enough to hold it in place. And, of course easliy removed if needed. I initially tried a big flat washer, but it won't work.

The bottom of the 2" diameter 1-3/4" long PVC is a piece of 1/8" thick garolite. The bottom is fastened to the PVC with JB weld. The magnets are also fastened to the garolite with JB weld from the inside. The most important part is to make sure the magnet poles are installed correctly before gluing them in. Sanded the pipe and shot some Krylon Fusion satin black.

I used the flat surface mount base from the Lanzar kit (there's 3 different mounts - surface, angled, flush). The base is also fastened to the top of the PVC with, you guessed it, JB weld - hey I like it. Using the base allows you to remove the tweeter easily.

Here's some pics...

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 26th September 2012, 08:02 PM   #2
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

As I'm a beta tester for the P10 EmKen, this very interesting.
Old 26th September 2012, 09:04 PM   #3
PKI is offline PKI  United States
diyAudio Member

Could you please upload some photos of the back(magnet) of the speaker?
Old 26th September 2012, 10:45 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
I too am running the Emken. Very interesting indeed

And the sound?
Old 26th September 2012, 11:05 PM   #5
mightym is offline mightym  United States
diyAudio Member

I did a couple of web searches several months ago, when considering my own Beta 12 LTA project.

At the time, I was able to find a small number of Automotive tweeters like the Lanzar ( which was one of them ). My own minimum requirement called for very high efficiency, and preferably a fabric dome.

I'll see if I can find my notes, and post the other choices I found.

My recollection was that they were all inexpensive enough to pick up all of them to try. I planned to use a bit of wooden doweling as my mount ( closet rod ). One of the reasons I backed off the proposed project was fear of ruining a $60 driver trying to drill through the pole piece to run the tweeter wires. I second the request to see the magnet, and would love details on how you did the deed, if you drilled the pole bit of the driver...Blow by blow if you please...

My own were to go into a cabinet inspired by Thuras/Onken resistive vent much like the Emken, only different in that the vents would have surrounded the driver on the front face of the baffle.

Let me see if I can find those notes.

I'll be following this thread with interest....

John

BTW, Kudo's on the nice looking work, kec. How do they sound???

Last edited by mightym; 26th September 2012 at 11:19 PM. Reason: added content
Old 26th September 2012, 11:17 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I found my notes, and could even decipher the intent of the design! Still!!

Here's the order I recorded them in, I didn't record the effficiency/ dome material/ Etc. though.

Lanzar DCT

Power Acoustik NB 1,2,or 4

Absolute TW-800

Boss TW-18

Boss TW-20

Hitron HS-200

As I said previously, I can't recall much else about the idea, other than high enough efficiency to mate with the Beta 12 LTA, and my own preference for fabric dome's over metalic. Though as a rule I prefer horns to domes. To each his own...

I can't vouch for the quality of any of these, and would have to defer to someone who's actually used/heard them as to SQ, and suitability. I was just chasing an idea to see where it went at the time. I only list these here to possibly help someone else who may have the guts to take a brand new driver and poke holes in it!

John
Old 26th September 2012, 11:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

PKI, the 12LTA has a big hole right where you want to drill. Round the back is a gauze covering the hole, to remove, screw in a wood screw and yank it (and the lil gauze/screw)
Old 26th September 2012, 11:51 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I am going to do something similar with mine using the FT17.

dave
Old 26th September 2012, 11:53 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Dave, wont the 66mm dia of the motor get in the way - or will you blend the tweeter into the support like a light bulb shaped plug?
Old 27th September 2012, 12:00 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippy View Post
Dave, wont the 66mm dia of the motor get in the way - or will you blend the tweeter into the support like a light bulb shaped plug?
wouldn't this cause phase issues?

Hide this!Advertise here!