Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2012, 04:11 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Birch plywood is better construction material. In case you can reinforce it with fiberglass do it. Can afford cover entire box by a graphite composite even better.

Aluminum honeycomb panels +graphite composite would be an extreme implementation.

However Sonus Faber favors plain wood and they are making speakers that are very well regarded among audiophiles.
Old 26th September 2012, 04:31 PM   #42
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

otab:
Many of us here have built a few speakers in our time, and I already gave you my best advice - save yourself a $hitload of time and ignore the noisome technical debate of an issue on which there will never be consensus . In less time that it'd take to read all the threads on the subject, you could just build an identical pair with different materials. I did exactly that quite a few years ago now, and while it was revelatory for me, not all who listened to both heard the same things, or reached the same conclusions.

Frankly this is one of those subjects, like "speaker wire" that have become rather fatiguing after over 40yrs, and the pursuit of "technical perfection" that for some folks borders on OCD can too easily distract from the enjoyment of the music..
Old 26th September 2012, 04:56 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiros View Post
plywood is wood, treated to be neutral: alternating wood grain panels. that is why in greek and french it is called "Contreplaqué": it is cross-oriented. MDF isn't wood, it is rough sawdust glued together.

Other than that i have no idea what difference they have in sound. It would be fun to make two twin cabinets using the same amount of money to buy the materials and find out which measures and/or sounds better.
Once built identical cabinets in mdf and 700 density flooring chipboard; the chipboard pair sounded better. Doesn't help with the birch ply question, though. However Russian birch was prettier than Finnish birch, but less dense and wider grain pattern. This was over 30 years ago, mind.
Old 26th September 2012, 05:02 PM   #44
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post

Frankly this is one of those subjects, like "speaker wire" that have become rather fatiguing after over 40yrs, and the pursuit of "technical perfection" that for some folks borders on OCD can too easily distract from the enjoyment of the music..
More 'Best Advice'
Old 26th September 2012, 05:27 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

I build with MDF for my speakers, always have, always will, I put on my fancy dust mask, turn on the vacuum and plow away. Not that BBP is bad, its just MDF is my preference (ie. I'm cheap). If you build using one material or the other and dont build identical to compare, who cares. You will never know what the other sounds like so what you built will sound awsome. Just MY 2 cents worth.
Old 26th September 2012, 05:41 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

You need to use a mask whatever you machine and I repeat most hardwoods are toxic. Lung and nasal cancer were common among woodworkers who were exposed to fine dust. It is strange how emotive this prosaic subject (MDF vs BBP) is to people, it's like religion.
Old 26th September 2012, 05:49 PM   #47
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Bamboo! I love Bamboo! (Emotive enough?)
Old 26th September 2012, 06:20 PM   #48
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Bamboo! I love Bamboo! (Emotive enough?)

ah yes - preach to the choir brother

But at well over $200 per sheet, and the cost of tooling to work it cleanly, the better grades of ply are beyond a lot of folk's comfort zone.

And to be only slightly alarmist, dust is only part of the issues with most wood products, solid or otherwise - especially in the case of engineered MDF/PB or plywoods still fabricated with UF glues. These can off-gas for a lot longer than the time it takes to fabricate them, and a simple NIOSH N95 particulate mask won't protect from those or solvent based adhesive & finishing product vapors. Of course the irony here is that between coffee and lunch breaks, over half the guys in our shop (and no doubt in a lot of other trades that worry themselves sick over such issues) smoke at least 1/2 pack a day.
Old 26th September 2012, 06:24 PM   #49
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Well, didn't say it's cheap. But it is beautiful and strong.
Finding good, dense, void free ply isn't always easy.

Of course, I've built speakers out of OSB. That's cheap! In California it comes in thicknesses over 1". Not 'round here, tho.
Old 26th September 2012, 06:39 PM   #50
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
ah yes - preach to the choir brother

But at well over $200 per sheet, and the cost of tooling to work it cleanly, the better grades of ply are beyond a lot of folk's comfort zone.
Sorry for the hijack as i wouldn't contribute much to the discussion since i'd never consider MDF. So, can you tell me more about the tooling (specialty or otherwise), for bamboo ply, iirc it burns thru saw blades fast, how about carbide router bits? If not worth doing for a small monitor i have in mind, i'll stick with BB Plywood.

Hide this!Advertise here!