Fullrange amplifier suggestions on a budget - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2012, 01:56 PM   #1
FozzZ is offline FozzZ  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Fullrange amplifier suggestions on a budget

It was recently suggested (I read between the lines) that my vintage pioneer stereo reciever could stand to be upgraded. What budget amplifiers can be recommended for use with Fullrange speakers.

I've looked at Yaqin and Musical Paradise so far.

Thanks,
Old 23rd September 2012, 02:26 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Big Power-SA-50 50Wx2 T-AMP HIFI Digital Amplifier S | eBay
but with better powersupply
Old 23rd September 2012, 05:06 PM   #3
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

FozzZ,

From your other thread I recall that you are looking at a couple of high sensitivity drivers - Fostex FE206EN and the Mark Audio Alpair 12P.

Either of these drivers in a back loaded horn would be suited to a low power SE amp: APPJ EL84+12AX7 mini tube amp ( Original miniwatt N3 ) | eBay
Old 23rd September 2012, 06:08 PM   #4
FozzZ is offline FozzZ  Canada
diyAudio Member

^^^^thats correct, but I pretty much decided to take the advice given by Planet 10 Audio and use a smaller less efficient speaker because of the amplifier I'm currently using (there are other reasons as well). But because my current amplification may be a weak point, I figured it would be a good idea to start researching "better" amplifiers now.
Old 23rd September 2012, 06:25 PM   #5
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Old console PP tube amps from right before they switched to SS systems.

GM
Old 23rd September 2012, 06:27 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

those SA-50 have tubelike sound and destroys some expensive tubeamps, for example these:
Unison Research Smart 845
Octave V40 - Versterkers - EastWestAudioshop.nl
Old 23rd September 2012, 06:52 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

For my money, the Magnavox, Motorola, Philco tube systems 'destroys' the few modern tube designs I've auditioned with 'FR' drivers. Not that more expensive tubes couldn't do better, but the price difference between these and a McIntosh MC275 or similar proves that the last ~5% of performance comes at an exponentially rising cost.

Regardless, thanks for the info as I'd like to get an inexpensive, 'lush' sounding SS amp if such exists with more dynamic headroom than the little chip amps I've seen folks recommend.

GM
Old 23rd September 2012, 07:53 PM   #8
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
you can build your own EL84 SET amp on top of a common baking tray. you can do it for $150 if you already have the tools. once you hear the clarity and glassy highs of the EL84, you will never forget that.

i've never heard a lush sounding SS amp relative to a triode tube amp, and i've built and heard very many SS amps. i would go tubes for efficient fullrange speakers.
Old 23rd September 2012, 07:54 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

As said above many of the amps from the end of the first tube era would suit, a Dyna SCA35 should be easy to find and cheap in Canada, with a few simple mods this is a fantastic amp.

Anything from Eriks pen ofcourse, like the Edison12 or the Audio Inovation amps, maybe harder to find in North America?

My own favourite amp, Mark Levinson ML11, should fit the bill too, does what You want but with seemingly endless power reserve.
Pretty reliable too, i haven´t even had to replace psu caps yet. Should be pretty easy to find and reasonably priced, utterly quiet too which i appreciate as most of my speakers have +100dB sensitivity.

Ingvar
Old 23rd September 2012, 08:51 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
i've never heard a lush sounding SS amp relative to a triode tube amp..........
I was referring to PP tube amps, which sound 'lush' relative to any SS amp I've auditioned. SET tubes are for the most part too 'lush' for me unless used to drive a compression horn and too expensive to get enough dynamic headroom with anything less efficient.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!