Fullrange amplifier suggestions on a budget - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2012, 07:43 PM   #31
FozzZ is offline FozzZ  Canada
diyAudio Member

Originally I looked for a kit. The Tube Depot has several that seem to work well. But when you look at companies like Musical Paradise, you are getting a finished product for pretty much the same price as a kit. and if you add items like a chassis and input selector, the kits are more expensive.

I have been tempted to buy a more expensive amplifier, but like my Fullrange project, I'm starting out small and inexpensive.
Old 1st October 2012, 05:24 PM   #32
von Ah is offline von Ah  United States
diyAudio Member

The little class D integrated amp from Musical Paradise also looks interesting, considering all the anecdotal praise that chip has received in the class D forum recently.
Old 1st October 2012, 06:45 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

I have used some TA2024 and 2020 amps with the full range speakers I have built and been very happy with the performance. That said, the $200 refurbished amp on the Musican Paradise looks quite tempting! As does the DAC/Amp combo.
Old 1st October 2012, 07:01 PM   #34
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by von.ah View Post
The little class D integrated amp from Musical Paradise also looks interesting, considering all the anecdotal praise that chip has received in the class D forum recently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleinCowichan View Post
I have used some TA2024 and 2020 amps with the full range speakers I have built and been very happy with the performance. That said, the $200 refurbished amp on the Musican Paradise looks quite tempting! As does the DAC/Amp combo.

kinda hard to believe they can make any profit on some of these models - $70 for the digital amp/DAC is less than 1/4 of what I paid for my Kingrex a few years ago

but personally, I'd go for the MP428 with 2A3s
Old 1st October 2012, 07:27 PM   #35
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
The Tripath amps sound good and will be better than the old receiver. It needs some capacitor upgrades and an SMPS power supply ($90) to really sing.

If you don't mind less power, a tube amp will still be better. I would go with EL84 and find some vintage transformers on eBay. It can be built on top of a baking tray for under $200. The Russian EL84 tubes are dirt cheap and sound great (though the GE ones sound even better for more $$$). If you go 2A3 route, the tubes themselves cost more than the entire EL84 amp.
Old 1st October 2012, 08:18 PM   #36
nesha is offline nesha  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It is not the same chip, TPA31002D got the hype ... TI TPA3100D2, Amazing Class D Amp
This time next year we'll have new 80$ MusicalParadise new chip wonder, I hope...
Old 1st October 2012, 08:22 PM   #37
von Ah is offline von Ah  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice catch. I wonder just how different they are, though...
Regardless, the DAC portion isn't the last word in HQ, and I wouldn't have much use for the mic options (reverb, etc.). Still an amazing bargain.
Old 1st October 2012, 11:00 PM   #38
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Nice catch. I wonder just how different they are, though...
Regardless, the DAC portion isn't the last word in HQ, and I wouldn't have much use for the mic options (reverb, etc.). Still an amazing bargain.

indeed, the chassis, jacks and volume control alone should cost that much

Hide this!Advertise here!