Fullrange amplifier suggestions on a budget

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My suggestion(s)

Look at the Decware SE84+ ($775) or if you prefer, the Zkit1 (about $220 for parts and circuit board).Super low power (2W/ch) but can drive most speakers quite well.
Following Dave's suggestion I have always wanted something like a SCA-35 or similar. Thankfully if I can muster it, I have an old PP ECC83 Spartan receiver that could be used as a donor. Something similar would be interesting using the old circuit, but modern components.

I have a Musical Paradise MP301 MkII that I have been plased with. I don't have a lot of time on the amp and haven't done any tube rolling but the sound is very pleasant. I have no hum with stock tubes.

I found this amp to be perhaps the best bargain in single ended amps. Reasonably high power for the genre, availability and reasonable cost of tubes, and low initial cost. Well built amp. Hard to beat for the cost. In fact I couldn't find another integrated tube amp for $300.

It was recently suggested (I read between the lines) that my vintage pioneer stereo reciever could stand to be upgraded. What budget amplifiers can be recommended for use with Fullrange speakers.

I've looked at Yaqin and Musical Paradise so far.

Thanks,

To really get synergy with a fullrange driver, you need tubes. The high output impedance of tube amps EQs the response to boost the bass and treble so that a fullrange would have a more linear frequency response. A quality 8" fullrange at 93 dB/W and a single ended tube amp synergizes so well.

You can DIY your own tube amp for dirt cheap, and just upgrade the components later.

I guess we all have a different definition of dirt cheap.

To really get synergy with a fullrange driver, you need tubes. The high output impedance of tube amps EQs the response to boost the bass and treble so that a fullrange would have a more linear frequency response. A quality 8" fullrange at 93 dB/W and a single ended tube amp synergizes so well.

You can DIY your own tube amp for dirt cheap, and just upgrade the components later.

Originally I looked for a kit. The Tube Depot has several that seem to work well. But when you look at companies like Musical Paradise, you are getting a finished product for pretty much the same price as a kit. and if you add items like a chassis and input selector, the kits are more expensive.

I have been tempted to buy a more expensive amplifier, but like my Fullrange project, I'm starting out small and inexpensive.

The little class D integrated amp from Musical Paradise also looks interesting, :scratch: considering all the anecdotal praise that chip has received in the class D forum recently.

I have used some TA2024 and 2020 amps with the full range speakers I have built and been very happy with the performance. That said, the $200 refurbished amp on the Musican Paradise looks quite tempting! As does the DAC/Amp combo.

kinda hard to believe they can make any profit on some of these models - $70 for the digital amp/DAC is less than 1/4 of what I paid for my Kingrex a few years ago

but personally, I'd go for the MP428 with 2A3s

The Tripath amps sound good and will be better than the old receiver. It needs some capacitor upgrades and an SMPS power supply ($90) to really sing.

If you don't mind less power, a tube amp will still be better. I would go with EL84 and find some vintage transformers on eBay. It can be built on top of a baking tray for under $200. The Russian EL84 tubes are dirt cheap and sound great (though the GE ones sound even better for more $$$). If you go 2A3 route, the tubes themselves cost more than the entire EL84 amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.