Suggestions on an 8" Fullrange needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dayton PS220

Alpairs, especially Dave's modded versions are a very nice choice. Very refined.
An interesting alternative is the Dayton PS220... requires a fair amount of fine-tuning and eq'ing but once that's done it is a superlative driver with astonishing impact. When properly eq'd it has a lot of refinement as well. Have a look at what I've done with my TimePulse Lambda speaker using this driver. (On my website, ref'd below). This one WILL play loud (and clean) if and when it is required to do so.

BTW, PartsExpress ships to Canada also.

One of these days I'll get around to having Dave mod a pair of these for me, I think it would really be a great option.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
As most of us know, unless cutoff is up around 400hz small drivers have difficulty with 87db+ from experience. Here's an excellent Forum discussion concerning this!

On an OB with no load maybe. Other than electronics failures (a pair of FE126 & FE127, and an FF85k) i have not killed any FR in use.

I have given up (actually i have one more build to try) on OB so it is not an issue. I like to keep XOs <350 Hz, lower if the rest of the design suits.

dave

On an OB with no load maybe. Other than electronics failures (a pair of FE126 & FE127, and an FF85k) i have not killed any FR in use.
actually your personal responsibility there is less than the quantity listed

"how many Geeks does it take to melt a voice coil?"

I have given up (actually i have one more build to try) on OB so it is not an issue. I like to keep XOs <350 Hz, lower if the rest of the design suits.

dave

does the builder have your drawings yet, or is it still brewing along with your morning Turkish?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
does the builder have your drawings yet, or is it still brewing along with your morning Turkish?

No drawings at all -- still just in my head. This is one Bernie & i discussed building in cedar to use up 4 of those lovely 10" dipole woofers we have (the other 4 i want to put into Demetri's system -- that will likely be a low rectangular H-Frame)

dave

As the title suggest, I'm looking for options and opinions on 8" Fullrange drivers. My maximum budget is $500 CDN. Less would be better of course! This driver will be used for my first fullrange rear loaded horn project. I need somthing that will have the ability to produce reasonable bottom end. As far as im aware, Solen and CSS are the only places to purchase these speakers, if others options are out there, im all ears. I would prefer to buy from a Canadian company however.
The two drivers ive been looking at are the Fostex 206EN and the Alpair 12P. But I'm open to just about anything that fits the bill.

Thank you,

The best advise is to let your ears be the judge. Your the only and final person who has to live with the drivers you buy. The Alpair is more of a 6 inch I was told with a big cast frame? The fostex's hummm? The older fe206e has a peakness problem I don't know about the new one. Heres a idea? I saw these on audiogon? Its fostexs top of the line 8 inch fullrange drivers for sale Half the price:yes:.I meet a guy at the A.K. fest in march that bought these drivers new. He told me he had dave from planet 10 do his mods :sing: to the drivers because he wanted the best out of his drivers he told me and he really enjoys them. Here is a link cheers.jm

Fostex F200A 8" Full Range Alnico Drive Units Pair | Full range | Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19147 | AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community

Last edited:
EL70 is a good choice. Performance / $ it's the best thing I've ever heard. I've heard plenty better, but cost much more. And I've heard worse, for less. But these have the best performance ratio of all I've heard. And if you don't like them, your can probably sell them pretty easy without losing much.

Like any speaker choice though, it's about application. (room, output requirements, bass support, no bass support, box size limitations, etc.)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If the EL-70 is so popular, why is it obsoleted ?

It never sold as well as Bob hoped (it was the 1st Mark Audio driver here, and without the Mark Audio name so was destined for a gradual ramp-up) and he has moved into multiway drivers. By the time people realized how good it was he was almost out, but still a long ways behind original sales projections.

EL70 can be un-obseleted anytime someone can come up to the plate with an order for a 1,000 drivers. At this point we can only hope the CHP-70.3 recaptures much of the magic.

dave

If the EL-70 is so popular, why is it obsoleted ?

The problem I think is that it isn't popular. It was destined for failure for several reasons. Dave mentioned a couple. But from experience, I dismissed this driver years ago all because of the spec sheet. It looks like a poor performer. It wasn't until I heard a pair at Dave's, only by curiousity, did I realize how good it is. In fact, it is THE driver that made me realize there's something to this whole full range thing.

Without that opportunity I would never have bought a pair and would still never know any better. If it seems popular, it's only several guys on Vancouver Island waving frantically about how good it is, without anyone really believing it.

Ya, maybe people are starting to wonder about it, but that ship has sailed :( Especially sad for me cause the dust caps on mine got crushed by my 2 year old (darn, thought I had her trained).

Don't get me wrong, there are better, or speaker that do different things for different applications. But dollar for dollar...

It never sold as well as Bob hoped (it was the 1st Mark Audio driver here, and without the Mark Audio name so was destined for a gradual ramp-up) and he has moved into multiway drivers. By the time people realized how good it was he was almost out, but still a long ways behind original sales projections.

well, some of us are on record for realizing how special it was from the beginning,
edit: in honor of Ryan's comment "spec sheet be damned, I say"

EL70 can be un-obseleted anytime someone can come up to the plate with an order for a 1,000 drivers. At this point we can only hope the CHP-70.3 recaptures much of the magic.

dave
indeed, it'd be hard to imagine that Mark doesn't have a few tricks up his sleeve - whether the (so far still) mythical replacement matches or surpasses the original is yet to be heard - I wouldn't bet against it, but certainly not hold my breath either

As in multiway or single driver FR?

Both. The answer is easy for multi way. For full blown reference speakers, there are quite a few multi-ways that are better, imo. But they also cost about 5x as much to build. The cross overs are usually more expensive than the EL70 along. And if the speaker costs less than the EL70, well they just suck. Maybe a 2 -way built out of close out drivers with parts someone has on hand could do it, but that's not being fair.

For full range it's tougher to say. Most of the FR I've heard are from Dave's inventory. The ones I think are better, aren't necessarily better in all areas. In fact, possibly there is none better at being full range than the EL70. The alpair 7 is, imo, a more refined driver. It's better. But I personally wouldn't be satisfied without a sub. I just used the FE83En (or eN, I don't know, it had enable) and it had to be crossed to helper woofers. The EL70 would eat it for lunch if it didn't have help. I've heard some larger FR drivers, which I can't remember which, and they suck imo. Even the smallish alpair10 didn't do it for me. And that's coming from a guy that has a 10" pro woofer and CD horn 2-way with 4 12" subwoofers in his living room right now.

If I could only have 1 driver (well, a pair) to do it all, from all the drivers I've ever heard, it would be the EL70.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.