Suggestions on an 8" Fullrange needed - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2012, 08:20 PM   #1
FozzZ is offline FozzZ  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Suggestions on an 8" Fullrange needed

As the title suggest, I'm looking for options and opinions on 8" Fullrange drivers. My maximum budget is $500 CDN. Less would be better of course! This driver will be used for my first fullrange rear loaded horn project. I need somthing that will have the ability to produce reasonable bottom end. As far as im aware, Solen and CSS are the only places to purchase these speakers, if others options are out there, im all ears. I would prefer to buy from a Canadian company however.
The two drivers ive been looking at are the Fostex 206EN and the Alpair 12P. But I'm open to just about anything that fits the bill.

Thank you,
Old 22nd September 2012, 08:31 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

My vote is for the Alpair 12P, sounds spectacular! Full report forthcoming in OB format using Dehavilland 845 SET and customized GTA SE 40.

Ramon
Old 22nd September 2012, 08:31 PM   #3
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Consider the Alpair 10.2 instead. It is a 6" unit but its bass is better than the 8" drivers and its got BSC built in. I don't know how it would work in a rear loaded horn however. Never tried that.
Old 22nd September 2012, 08:39 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Alpair 12P and FE206 will not go as low as Alpair 10.2 or even EL70.

If you have a small SE amp (tube or SS) then consider the 206 for its efficiency. The SE amp will help counter itss foward presentation.

If you have a larger amp the less efficient MAs become options. They are better balanced. A big horn will counter most of the advantages of the larger A12, and the A10.2 & EL70 do better (better DDR) in the mids and tops.

If you have less than a top notch amp, the Alpairs will telegraph any shortcomings, the EL70 is more tolerant.

What kind of amp do you have.

Personally i'd choose EL70eN (and i have good amps), and build Maeshowe -- actually we (Chris) already did.

Bob (CSS) can get pretty much anything available at PE or Madisound. Solen are good but often pricey by comparison. I can get anything from Madisound, but prefer to sell only modified drivers (they would still fit into your budget), but in a couple weeks i should be pulling a number of FE206 off the break-in bench and could probably spare a stock set. I have pretty much all the EL70s in North America

dave
Old 22nd September 2012, 08:45 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
Consider the Alpair 10.2 instead. It is a 6" unit
Actually a nominal 5 1/4" driver. (Thanx for echoing me while i typed)

Note that in any of the big Woden horns, actual bass extention with any of the mentioned drivers is dominated by the horn and extention is broadly similar.

I have had Maeshowe (EL70eN and A7.3eN and proto Valiant (FE126eN^2)), and Victor (FE166eSR, FE166eN^2, and FE166eSReN) in my listening room.

dave
Old 22nd September 2012, 09:17 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Some "dumb" questions listed below!

What is "BSC built in"?

"better DDR"?

I understand that cone area is not always king in regards to extension, but at a moderate listening level, can the EL70 really keep up with a speaker with basically twice the cone area? I'm more than happy to save money and get a better speaker (better is maybe not be best word), but my brain is having trouble absorbing this information.

My current amplifier for my stereo is a Pioneer SX 826 (70 watts per channel at 8ohms). This is a very old reciever, but seems to do a good job for me.
Old 22nd September 2012, 09:28 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FozzZ View Post
What is "BSC built in"?
BSC = Baffle Step Compensation, built in means that the drivers have a bump up in response right where you need it.

Quote:
"better DDR"?
Downward Dynamic Range. More crudely a lower noise floor and the ability to reproduce very low signals in the presence of larger ones. The characteristics that put flesh on a voice, tell you that it is this kind of violin instead of that kind, or how the guy is picking the guitar, and provides crtitcal information to improve imaging/soundstage

Quote:
at a moderate listening level, can the EL70 really keep up with a speaker with basically twice the cone area?
At moderate level, for sure.

Bernie (one of the master woodworker's i work with), converted his A12 (original metal) enclosures to EL70 because he preferred them, and prefers those to his Victor with FE166eSReN.

Quote:
My current amplifier for my stereo is a Pioneer SX 826 (70 watts per channel at 8ohms). This is a very old reciever, but seems to do a good job for me.
Given just that EL70 jumps to the top

dave
Old 22nd September 2012, 09:42 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Is the Maeshowe design available here (on this site?)

What do the modified EL70en speakers look like? still black?

I will be ordering the drivers soon.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm sure more questions will follow.
Old 22nd September 2012, 10:28 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FozzZ View Post
Is the Maeshowe design available here (on this site?)
You have to buy the plans from Woden

Quote:
What do the modified EL70en speakers look like? still black?
Click the image to open in full size.

And until such time as i need to start treating them you can get stock ones at the same price Bob was selling them, but IMO the matched & treated pairs are better value.

dave
Old 22nd September 2012, 10:34 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I'm already saving a tonn, so I'll get the matched and treated ones from you.

Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!