Fostex FF85WK & WinISD - Am I doing it right? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2012, 11:39 AM   #1
Seb C is offline Seb C  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Fostex FF85WK & WinISD - Am I doing it right?

Hi all,

Apologies for another thread touching on full range/Fostex/HT and the like. I have a few questions about modelling the FF85WK and what to expect.

As background, I've been reading for a while and figuring out what to build for a new project. I've built a couple of guitar amps and speakers before, and used to work building and installing car audio systems (although the application of science was somewhat basic where I worked). For my project I'm looking to build four or five speakers for my living room, to cover music, TV, and movies.

One of the main reasons I'm looking to build a set of speakers is that my girlfriend is very fussy about how they look. We currently have a pair of Kef Q35.2 floorstanders in a 2.0 setup, and she hates the way they look. Too big, too impossing, and just and "ugly box". So, the new setup has to be a) signficantly smaller and b) better looking.

The better looking bit is pretty easy; a good friend has a well equipped workshop for woodwork, so making some nice boxes is easy enough.

As far as size goes, I am really intrigued by the small full rangers often talked about, and had started to work on some models and sketches for a FF85WK based speaker. I wasn't sure whether they'd be enough for fronts (with a subwoofer to fill in the lower octaves, and an active crossover to filter low frequencies), or whether I'd use them for surround duties and some larger Fostex (105, or 125 at a push) for the fronts.

Using WinISD pro and the published data from Fostex, I ran a few models for sealed and BR, on the small side and the larger side, various tuning frequencies - but no matter what I do, I see to have the speaker exceeding XMax at around 100-120Hz with less than 1W input. Is this really what I should expect? XMax (and thus rapidly increasing distortion) played full range at barely 85dB?

I was planning on crossing over somewhere between 80 and 120Hz - but wanted to experiment on that point when I've built some prototypes. I know crossing higher would give me more headroom, but I can only run one subwoofer (girlfriend's ruling), and while localization isn't much of an issue at 80Hz (from my own experiments), 100Hz is worse, 120Hz considerably worse, and beyond that... well there's just no point in running one sub crossed at 200Hz in my mind. The results would just be unsatisfactory.

I welcome your thoughts. Thank your for any help and insights!
Old 21st September 2012, 02:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

When I looked into the fe83 I was getting similar results. I had to cross them at 450hz to mid woofers to get the output I was looking for.
Old 21st September 2012, 02:44 PM   #3
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

I dont think the FF85 is what you are looking for,,,if you are considering 125wk.
(if you want bass)
Old 21st September 2012, 02:48 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb C View Post
Using WinISD pro and the published data from Fostex, I ran a few models for sealed and BR, on the small side and the larger side, various tuning frequencies - but no matter what I do, I see to have the speaker exceeding XMax at around 100-120Hz with less than 1W input. Is this really what I should expect? XMax (and thus rapidly increasing distortion) played full range at barely 85dB?
Yup. Although see my rant last night about the value (or lack thereof) of Xmax figures. 3"or 4" driver with very good dispersion and high xmax?

The FF85wk is a reasonably efficient midtweet, like the majority of 3in - 3 1/2in wideband drivers. If you want LF, you will always be better off highpassing it & running dedicated LF support.
Old 21st September 2012, 03:23 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

That's helpful, thanks guys. I've heard much good about these drivers, but I guess I took the term "full range" a little too literally. It does make me wonder, however, how things like the Blumenstein speakers perform. They look wonderful - but are they very short on headroom?

As an alternative to the larger Fostex (size being an issue) am I likely to have more luck with the small MarkAudio drivers, which have substantially greater XMax? I was leaning towards the Fostex as they're MUCH easier to source in the UK.
Old 21st September 2012, 03:30 PM   #6
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

I do have a pair of the FF85 in a simple BR box (fostex plans) I don't think you would would want to even hear them...bla.

Looking foward to building new boxes some day, but I have seen where if you push the bass issue, they are not going to work for you.
Old 21st September 2012, 03:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That's helpful, thanks guys. I've heard much good about these drivers, but I guess I took the term "full range" a little too literally. It does make me wonder, however, how things like the Blumenstein speakers perform. They look wonderful - but are they very short on headroom?
Headroom would be the least of my concerns, since IMO, based on the published data, the FE83En is not suitable for vented boxes. It's not how I'd do one anyway. Clark has his own approach though, and since he has plenty of happy owners & AFAIK never lacks for customers, evidently a lot of people like the way they sound. Fair enough; that's what matters.

Quote:
As an alternative to the larger Fostex (size being an issue) am I likely to have more luck with the small MarkAudio drivers, which have substantially greater XMax? I was leaning towards the Fostex as they're MUCH easier to source in the UK.
For what you want, probably. You can likely get some direct from Mark. Remember what I mentioned about Xmax though. It's a guide, no more, & rarely an on / off switch. You might want to take a gander at the Tang Band range too. They have some solid units.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 21st September 2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 21st September 2012, 04:05 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
For what you want, probably. You can likely get some direct from Mark. Remember what I mentioned about Xmax though. It's a guide, no more, & rarely an on / off switch.
Thanks, understood. I'll keep playing with the models and see if I can come up with something that at least looks reasonable on paper, then make a prototype or two.

I had a little play with an SPL metre and my current setup a couple of days ago and that was what prompted me to think about this. 70-80dB was quite a nice listening level, but more energetic music was hitting 90dB without ever feeling loud. I can imagine 95-100dB peaks in movies being not uncommon when I'm in the mood and it's a noisy movie. The FF85WKs won't give me anything like the headroom I need without being crossed far higher than I want (and won't keep up with the subwoofer, either; simulations were showing 103dB plus...)
Old 21st September 2012, 04:30 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

And if you include your listening disctance, you'll likely need another 6db at least. For movies I shoot for 100db peaks at the LP. I think Dolby says 105db, but I can live without that.
Old 21st September 2012, 04:50 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
The better looking bit is pretty easy; a good friend has a well equipped workshop for woodwork, so making some nice boxes is easy enough.
Yes that is about right. But you have to hear these things, they perform beyond what you'd expect from the sims. Officially we call these computer speakers, but I have seen a lot of tonsils demoing the uFonken as jaws drop -- and it isn't like i have a small room. Adding helper woofers means few apologies for the bass. This combo is quite stunning (lots of room for morphing bass enclosures into something suitable, these are an ML-TL and we worked within the restiction that the helper woofers needed to be the same footprint as the mains.

Click the image to open in full size.

If you want small you need to be willing to compromise ultimate levels.

If you want more bass, one of the Alpair 6.2 might be a better choice.

A relevant post with more info, links & pics. Desktop loudspeaker design desires.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!