3"or 4" driver with very good dispersion and high xmax? - Page 18 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 24th February 2014, 01:10 PM   #171
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
You might want to consider going into more exotic approaches rather than just looking at the driver specs and measurements.
Reflectors and lenses could be one approach. For a start look at Elias's research.
If you read those threads you'll find many of my measurements with reflectors and lenses. Let's stick to the topic here.

Old 24th February 2014, 01:10 PM   #172
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus76 View Post
I'm looking for one or why do you think I've started this thread?????
I dont think it exist or everybody would be using it. Their are simply limitations that cannot be overcome. As you can see, there is not a flood of suggestions other than FR units that have similar issues. A fewof the guys in this thread have more experience with FR drivers than anybody i know and you are largely ignoring them. How do we proceed? Are you willing to go small midrange to tweeter?

Old 24th February 2014, 01:12 PM   #173
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
There is a faint but important line between being frustrated and aggressive. The responses you got indicates that people feel you crossed it.
Maybe they crossed the line by posting misleading data which made me buy the driver?

Old 24th February 2014, 01:18 PM   #174
dewardh is offline dewardh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
There is the option of a tweeter in a waveguide. not 3-4", but clean down fairly low.
The problem with that (M/T-in-a-waveguide) is an absolutely horrible radiation pattern and poorly defined (usually terrible) "power response". Discussing it without including ceiling bounce and other "room effects" misses most of the flaws of that approach, and makes comparisons to drivers like the 7.3 meaningless (until one reverts to "how it sounds"). That's what's wrong with this "lines on a chart" approach . . . it doesn't manage to account for what we actually hear in the listening room.

Old 24th February 2014, 01:20 PM   #175
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Maybe they crossed the line by posting misleading data which made me buy the driver?
Build a decent cab for them, and do a test and compare to a speaker you know you like. If you still have grievances with the sound of the upper registers then I guess naked driver FR is just not for you.
Sell the Alpairs to recoup some of the money and go on to two-way designs or whatever.
You could wait forever for a driver that completely satisfies you.

Last edited by Squeak; 24th February 2014 at 01:23 PM.

Old 24th February 2014, 01:21 PM   #176
dewardh is offline dewardh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Let's stick to the topic here.
You keep going "off topic", you keep going "ad hominem", and you keep imploring others to not do either.

Take your own medicine.

Old 24th February 2014, 01:22 PM   #177
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewardh View Post
I could.
What? By looking at this...

Click the image to open in full size.

...you could predict that???

Click the image to open in full size.

(40-90)
Attached Images
File Type: png 40-90deg.png (53.3 KB, 246 views)
File Type: gif Alpair7g3-fr-offaxis-0611sm.gif (42.1 KB, 246 views)

Old 24th February 2014, 01:29 PM   #178
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewardh View Post
The problem with that (M/T-in-a-waveguide) is an absolutely horrible radiation pattern and poorly defined (usually terrible) "power response". Discussing it without including ceiling bounce and other "room effects" misses most of the flaws of that approach, and makes comparisons to drivers like the 7.3 meaningless (until one reverts to "how it sounds"). That's what's wrong with this "lines on a chart" approach . . . it doesn't manage to account for what we actually hear in the listening room.
This is interesting. Could you explain further? I am currently working with a waveguide on a TL Labs tweeter and the reason for the waveguide was to have a good match between the woofer and the tweeters off axis response. I must admit that I do not like what i hear so far as it seems to kill the presentation.

Old 24th February 2014, 02:31 PM   #179
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Markus - in reading the above thread - but admittedly not others of yours by which a style and or agenda could be deduced- I've yet to see comments of your listening impressions.

Perhaps they're buried in the repetitive vituperation directed at the manufacturer of the Alpair driver that has become your Sysiphus, or at users who for some reason you can't seem to comprehend are unapologetically satisfied with its real world performance. NB, I don't consider myself to be a direct vendor, but agree that that subject is a Gordian knot in itself. Any search of my own posting history here would certainly reveal that I'm a big fan of the A7.3, as well as less than enamoured, to put it mildly, of the ultimate relevance of measurements, and finally not giving of a rip as to who cares about what I think.

To repeat what others have said, there may well be no driver that meets your strict requirements. If you have a pair of A7.3s that you can't being yourself to live with as many of us have, sell them and move on.

Old 24th February 2014, 02:46 PM   #180
Banned

Thread title is "3"/4" driver with very good dispersion and high xmax?"

Thread title is not "what are your listening impressions of the Alpair 7.3", "what is your agenda", "aren't reflector and lenses what you're really looking for?", "you need a tweeter", "waveguides are terrible", "I can predict full polar response just by looking at 3 axes", "mastering engineers are a...holes", "I like red herrings a lot", "it's okay to trick customers with sugarcotet data because everybody does it", "I fink u freeky", etc. pp.

So if anybody has meaningful data (preferably off-axis response out to 90) regarding the topic at hand ("3"/4" driver with very good dispersion and high xmax?") I would be grateful if he would post it.

Last edited by markus76; 24th February 2014 at 02:54 PM.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!