3"or 4" driver with very good dispersion and high xmax? - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 18th February 2014, 03:58 PM   #91
diyAudio Member

That's how large[r] wideband drive units work. Resonance is how HF is created and always has been, sometimes with the addition of other cones etc., sometimes not.

I have no particular 'interest' one way or the other in terms of the graphs presented here or elsewhere -they are what they are. To my simple little mind they appear to be showing more or less the same basic response trend: as has been noted above the real difference is that of the graph scales. The manufacturer plots show -10dB - 110dB (120dB dynamic range). The ones here are showing 40dB - 90dB (50dB dynamic range). Presenting relatively wide dynamic ranges is not particularly unusual for wideband driver manufacturers. Tang Band regularly use 100dB for example; Fostex have often used similar, but have reverted recently to about 70dB with ~ 1/3 octave smoothing. Mark Audio, AFAIK, do not apply software smoothing to their published data -it's raw anechoic, but the wide dynamic range provides some of that effect (ditto for TB, although I believe they use varying amounts of smoothing too depending on the driver in question). And so on. Which is fair enough -they wouldn't sell drivers if they didn't -if people saw genuine, uncompressed, unsmoothed data from almost any driver, but particularly the majority of widebanders, they'd run a mile. Despite being perfectly happy beforehand. QED -they're doing something right (in terms of general type).

To be sure, nothing is ever perfect; different test setups & conditions will always introduce a degree of variability. This is to be expected. What is slightly surprising to me is that

a/ this thread seems to have appeared from the dead after about 9 months, and

b/ data with dissimilar scales appears to be being used for comparisons, violating the first principals of scientific methodology, seemingly with the object of presenting said driver in a negative light.

Now, you can call me biased if you like. I happen to sell some speaker plans that use MA drivers. As does Bob. But I'd also ask people to recall that we're both perfectly capable of designing & selling speaker plans / speakers using drivers from other manufacturers also. Which, er, we also both happen to do, and means we're not especially beholden in any direction.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 18th February 2014 at 04:02 PM.

Old 18th February 2014, 08:10 PM   #92
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
So what if the magnitude of the peaks in MAs plots are slightly subdued, most likely due to a small amount of smoothing, that's life, smoothing happens.
Mark publishes raw data taken in an anechoic chamber on an IEC baffle with Linear-X using a professional quality measuring mic (good to 30k in the same sense that the ECM is good to 10k)

dave

Old 18th February 2014, 08:15 PM   #93
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
The 7.3 is really the ark I am trying to hit with a multiway, adding bottom end and improving dispersion high up.
These do a crediable job.

Click the image to open in full size.

dave

Old 18th February 2014, 09:18 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

Beautiful Dave. CSS SDX7's? I dont think I could get the wife to go for the wide baffle, although I like the look quite a bit. If the TL tweeter/AT woofer combo doesnt work, its back to 7.3 and woofer. It does so many things so very well.

Old 18th February 2014, 09:32 PM   #95
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Beautiful Dave. CSS SDX7's? I dont think I could get the wife to go for the wide baffle, although I like the look quite a bit.
Yes, SDX7 sealed. I also have an MTM trapezoid box designed. I have enuff SDX7 to build it, but may well (ie really should) adjust for available woofers. Initial sims suggest the new CSS 7" could be a viable candidate (vented)

dave

Old 18th February 2014, 09:51 PM   #96
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yeah, the wide curved baffle is rather a "statement", and shares one characteristic with most OBs and large planar dipoles I've heard - need a lot of unimpeded floorspace to fully blossom - so WAF wouldn't be high for most folks. Sue's first comment was, those are pretty, who are they for?

There are certainly more compact footprint TMM or MTM arrangements that would work well with the A7.3. For a floorstander I'd be inclined towards the former to keep the Alpair around 36" height as in the Ellipses.

Old 18th February 2014, 10:57 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

Dave, have you looked the Vifa ne225. Goes low in a small box.

Old 19th February 2014, 12:16 AM   #98
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

getting kinda spendy at $170 ea (for 4 & up)

Old 19th February 2014, 12:17 AM   #99
diyAudio Member

Now those are nice!!!
Very similar baffle to what mine will have, albiet larger @ 23"w x ~52"h x ~<10"d.
Wife gave me a look the otherday I'll never forget when placing the test sub up on stilts making it 68" tall
Certainly gets your attention qhen walking in the door, this aint yo moma's speakers

Old 19th February 2014, 01:31 AM   #100
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
... shares one characteristic with most OBs and large planar dipoles I've heard - need a lot of unimpeded floorspace to fully blossom
With the advantage of less need to be out from the walls.

dave

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!