diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   MARTELLO-2, a mini-tower from a single 2' x 4' (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/220047-martello-2-mini-tower-single-2-x-4-a.html)

Bigun 20th September 2012 02:47 AM

MARTELLO-2, a mini-tower from a single 2' x 4' for EL-70/CHR-70

1 Attachment(s)
I still have a pair of EL-70's looking for a new home and my sister wants some small speakers (narrow baffle not too tall) to flank her TV with. So I've decided to draw up a small-tower based off planet10's micro-tower series of ML-TLs. This will be for a single driver.

My local hardware store carries sheets of 11.5mm thick birch plywood in 2' x 4' handy panels. So the design for one speaker must fit on such a sheet.

I will double up the front baffle around the driver since it needs enough thickness to allow for the driver rebate, have enough depth for the mounting screws and be stiff.

Lots of bracing for stiffness given the use of only 11.5mm plywood.

For aesthetic reasons the front edges (sides & top) will be mitred, the rest will use simple butt joints.

The design will also work with the CHR-70 so that if one of her dogs destroys the EL-70 drivers there is a current-production driver available to retro-fit (with some minor adjustments).

sippy 20th September 2012 03:02 AM

Sounds like a plan to me Bigun, I'm convinced you've got a thing for holes though!

chrisb 20th September 2012 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sippy (Post 3171624)
Sounds like a plan to me Bigun, I'm convinced you've got a thing for holes though!

don't we all? - a little thing :rolleyes:

dig a hole

fill it up

chrisb 20th September 2012 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigun (Post 3171612)

The design will also work with the CHR-70 so that if one of her dogs destroys the EL-70 drivers there is a current-production driver available to retro-fit (with some minor adjustments).

fabricate with the bottom panel mounted on cleats to accommodate easy replacement of the port assembly if you need to swap drivers

of course you already thought of that

Bigun 20th September 2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sippy (Post 3171624)

:D

Chris - yes good idea, cleats on the bottom allow for tuning of ports and stuffing and all that whatnot. Of course changing drivers affects the driver brace too.

I'll be taking a saw to a pair of ply sheets this weekend if all goes well !

IG81 20th September 2012 12:18 PM

Sounds fun! I also get that same plywood in 2'x4' sheets for small speaker projects, from Home Depot. More expensive than buying larger formats, but ideal for appartment dwelling with no real room for a stock of wood.

IG

Bigun 20th September 2012 02:13 PM

Yes, very handy these panels. They also fit nicely in my car and are easy to handle. My MARTELLO (first version is a small desktop model) was designed to use these sheets, I get a pair of them from one 2' x 4'.

von Ah 20th September 2012 02:36 PM

Great project. I will follow with interest.
However, quick glancing and excited waiting for the thread to load made me think that you were making a speaker from a single 2"x4". :D I gotta see this...
Those should sound very nice.

loninappleton 20th September 2012 05:59 PM

Another possibility for my CHR 70.

Can you point to a dimensional drawing?

chrisb 20th September 2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigun (Post 3172007)
:D

Chris - yes good idea, cleats on the bottom allow for tuning of ports and stuffing and all that whatnot. Of course changing drivers affects the driver brace too.

I'll be taking a saw to a pair of ply sheets this weekend if all goes well !

build the driver braces for the deeper magnets, and add filler blocks if swapping to CHR/Ps IIRC, EL70 is approx 1/2" (13mm?) deeper than the CH's