MARTELLO-2, a mini-tower from a single 2' x 4' - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2012, 02:17 AM   #51
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

A different rebate.

dave
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:57 AM   #52
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

It was an interesting thought, but looking at the spec sheet the diameter of the front bezel for the A7 is 135mm and for the EL-70 it is 124mm. So it won't fit because the boxes I have are already narrow enough for the EL-70 and wouldn't accept a larger diameter rebate.

I will do some more listening with the EL-70's. I realized that the listening tests done earlier had the speakers wired up to the 8 ohm tap on the amplifier, I should try the 4 ohm tap.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 22nd November 2012, 01:34 AM   #53
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

If you can fir the EL70, but not the A7 then the enclosure is likely too narrow and will suffer from early reflection andgive a cupped midrange sound.

dave
Old 22nd November 2012, 05:40 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

It is definitely on the narrow side, this was a design decision made at the outset, a tradeoff between performance and 'customer requirements'. But I believe it will be acceptable if the treble were to improve with break-in and perhaps with properly matched amplifier.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 22nd November 2012, 11:59 PM   #55
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

THose wo't help with a problem with cuppiness caused by sides too close... it was an excercise we wentthru when we did the 1st milliSize enclosure... as little as a cm made a significant difference.

dave
Old 3rd December 2012, 01:11 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

I have move the SV811 amplifier to the room where I keep my Big'un speaker, the AN15. And it also allowed me to use my Magnum Dynalab FM tuner. Both the tuner and the large speaker are in daily use so I'm more familiar with their sound - through my Cellini SET.

Speaker cables changed, no longer the fancy Zu cables but my DIY lamp cord from Home Depot. Again, more what I'm used to listening with.

the Martello-2 once again provide a first impression of impressive bass simply unexpected from small speakers. The overall sound was very pleasing.

I compared the FM tuner with my YBA CD player - noticed the usual limitation with modern popular FM stations sounding like MP3. Only the French channel sounds really good. The CD player sounds better. But then I haven't upgraded the stock electrolytic output caps in my tuner yet (a story for another day).

The treble did not sound distorted from the Martello-2's, cymbals were clear.

Switch over to the Big'un, using both outputs of the amp in parallel. The bass goes deeper but it's no more powerful (mind you, the speaker still has no back on it). However, I did notice that that the sound opened up, it does have a more open lower and upper treble compared with the Martello-2's. Perhaps not quite as smooth though, a little roughness in the treble - the AN15 has yet to receive the Bud P. treatment.

So, I'm still left mighty impressed with the what the Martello-2 cabinet does for the bass, but not yet sure if the EL-70 is providing the treble it should be. More running in is still needed to be sure.

Hide this!Advertise here!