MARTELLO-2, a mini-tower from a single 2' x 4' - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th October 2012, 03:09 PM   #41
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Matt the carpenter - who helped me with my EmKen's has just popped by, saw the last two pictures of these 'Lil 'uns' and said 'That stains stunning', he also likes the contrast in cabinet size in the picture in post 33.
Top job man!
Old 29th October 2012, 10:19 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

soo small soo big no half way

great work

ciao
Old 20th November 2012, 02:33 AM   #43
Bigun is online now Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Had a bit of a listening session with the Martello-2's this evening.

Source: YBA CD player
Amp: SV-811 SET
Speakers: a) Martello-2 sat on laminate floor, b) PMC FB1's
Speaker cables: Zu Audio
Positioning: speakers about 1 to 2 ft from front wall, 10 feet apart and 10 feet to listening position, large carpet-rug between speakers and listeners

The system with the PMCs was pretty much faultless, so this was used as a basis for comparison.

Bass: both speakers produced good bass. The Martello's surprised all by how much bass they produced given their small size, immediately obvious on power-up. Whilst they don't reach down as low as the PMCs they were very satisfying to listen to.

Mids: the PMCs were more 'open'. It's not that the Martello-2's sounded 'closed' on their own, but in comparison they are a little recessed. There were no complaints about the mids.

Lower treble: the Martello's were not as clean, the PMC's were clearly better in this regard.

Upper treble: simply not enough of it from the Martello-2's to make a comparison. The PMCs with dedicated tweeters provided upper treble that the EL-70 can't muster.

Conclusion: on their own, the Martello-2's were very nice to listen to but I'm left wondering - what do the Alpair 7's sound like.

The PMCs are clearly a step-up, no competition. No surprise in this.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 20th November 2012, 02:44 AM   #44
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

What about image, sound stage?

500+ hrs on the EL70 yet?

dave
Old 20th November 2012, 06:36 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

I find imaging on the Martello-2's to be very good when I had them set-up in a different room and pulled further away from the wall. However, we didn't explicitly explore this aspect during this recent test. My recollection is that both imaged well but that the edge would go to the Martello-2's.

Time on the EL-70's: I'd say they are likely at less than 500 hrs, but certainly more than 250 hours.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 20th November 2012, 06:45 PM   #46
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
However, we didn't explicitly explore this aspect during this recent test.
Imaging/Soundstage is one of the easiest/quickest wat to get a handle on a speaker's phase coherence and DDR. Given that you probablt missed some other stuff too.

dave
Old 20th November 2012, 07:27 PM   #47
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
... but I'm left wondering - what do the Alpair 7's sound like.

only one way to find out

Quote:

The PMCs are clearly a step-up, no competition. No surprise in this.
the A7s could narrow such a gap significantly
Old 20th November 2012, 10:18 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Imaging/Soundstage is one of the easiest/quickest wat to get a handle on a speaker's phase coherence and DDR. Given that you probablt missed some other stuff too.dave
probably - there are things about the sound of speakers that I value more highly than others so I'm not even-handed in my assessment of them but subjectively I prefer full range single drivers over multiple drivers with cross-overs, especially for voices, but I value open, clear smooth non-resonant and non-sibilant treble most of all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
only one way to find out
the A7s could narrow such a gap significantly
The A7 does have an excellent reputation. The T/S for the EL-70 and A7 are quite different though so perhaps not something I can try out using the existing boxes...

The boxes do a great job of the bass and have high WAF so I shall put some more hours on the EL-70's and re-test again at some point in the future.

One purpose of the test was to give the builder of the SET a chance to hear some ML-TL's with smallish drivers - as opposed to large boxes which are no longer practical in the new listening room. As a result of the test the builder is now convinced that a small driver in such a box can provide what is needed but is not sure about driver choice.
Old 21st November 2012, 12:12 AM   #49
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
The A7 does have an excellent reputation. The T/S for the EL-70 and A7 are quite different though so perhaps not something I can try out using the existing boxes...
The A7 won't fit the same reflex box, but may work in the same size ML-TL with some terminus adjustment (ref microTower)

dave
Old 21st November 2012, 02:15 AM   #50
zman01 is online now zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
The A7 won't fit the same reflex box, but may work in the same size ML-TL with some terminus adjustment (ref microTower)

dave
The driver frame and flange size is different for A7 vs EL-70/CHR-70/CHP-70 though... a supra baffle will be required to use the same cabinet for experimentation?

Alp 7.3 HF performance is very good.

Last edited by zman01; 21st November 2012 at 02:19 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!