MARTELLO-2, a mini-tower from a single 2' x 4' - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th October 2012, 08:43 PM   #31
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

So the stuffing is done. And the backs have been glued on. The sides at the back have been routed flush. Holes were cut for the terminal cups and a wire put in before gluing the backs on of course.

Now just routing the bottom edges uniform before cutting the breathing slots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg routing the bottom flush.JPG (49.8 KB, 289 views)
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 7th October 2012, 10:24 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

So I finished the bottom pieces with 2" plastic pipe. I cut the lengths to around 5.5 inches - being a compromise between the EL-70 and CHR-70.

I held the speakers upside down to saw for the breathing slots, cutting to the depth needed minus radius of my router bit. Then I used a finishing router bit to route the breathing slots, using the screwed on bottom pieces as a guide for the router bit.

Now the basic construction is done - next step is sanding, tidying up, staining and varnishing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clamp to saw btm.JPG (65.6 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg saw cuts in btm.JPG (44.5 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg basic construction done.JPG (52.0 KB, 279 views)
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 8th October 2012, 11:18 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Progress....

The bottom pieces were finished up and mounted into the base of the speakers. A couple of coats of Dark Walnut gel stain and they're starting to look ready for action
Attached Images
File Type: jpg btm.JPG (74.8 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg btm installed.JPG (76.0 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg stained.JPG (72.2 KB, 122 views)
Old 9th October 2012, 02:19 AM   #34
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Those are looking good
Old 11th October 2012, 12:32 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Thanks Sippy!

Well they are now in song.

And for the first time I understand why people rave about the bass of these drivers !

The photo shows the Martello-2's flanking my new Big'un speaker. They don't compare with the AN15, but they do a very good job of it.

I'm not sure I'll need to be doing any tweaking.

This could be a case of "It's a wrap!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Martello2 and Bigun.JPG (472.3 KB, 154 views)
Old 11th October 2012, 12:45 AM   #36
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post

And for the first time I understand why people rave about the bass of these drivers !

and when you double up ...

nice work
Old 11th October 2012, 12:50 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Two drivers per side - that would be really nice !

Anyhow, I'll listen to them for awhile. No doubt I'll find myself wanting to go back to the AN15 eventually but they do well for their size.
Old 12th October 2012, 12:34 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

I now have it on good authority that the WAF factor for these speakers, being narrow and not too tall - is extremely high
Old 12th October 2012, 12:58 AM   #39
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
well I haven't found it easy making the 45 degree mitre cuts using a hand-held circular saw
Bigun my friend!

It's not that hard if you use a Swanson square as a guide. Freehand you have to be either a miracle worker or an idiot to try.
Old 12th October 2012, 01:53 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

I used a guide, a piece of wood clamped on top of the piece I was cutting and ran the edge of the baseplate of my circular saw along this guide. But you know, the slightest wobble of the saw and the cut is slightly off. Over a 30+ inch long joint you have to be spot-0n for two of these 45degree edged planks to make perfectly. So, I'm afraid my workmanship just ain't up to it !!! - but following-up with the router made things 99% good.

Hide this!Advertise here!