MARTELLO-2, a mini-tower from a single 2' x 4' - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th September 2012, 03:58 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Hehe. For the time expended and the results I am inclined to veneer instead. I wanted to have some nice looking BB layers come together at the top of a set I just built. It didn't end up being worth the hassle. BUT, I think I ended up with a better handle on making precise cuts on a table saw.

Kyle
Old 30th September 2012, 08:23 PM   #22
Bigun is online now Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

I tried Veneer on an earlier project. I just don't like, can't get the results - seems that my technique is not good enough and I get delamination several months later which I can't afford as these speakers are for somebody else. Oh well.

So, today was aimed at the driver cut-outs. If you read the data sheet you will know that the driver rebate needs to allow for the gasket, 8mm depth from the front baffle surface in total.

Unfortunately the required radius was the same as the size of my router base - meaning that the pivot point wasn't accessible because it was directly under the solid part of the base of my router. I didn't want to drill a hole in my router base. So I had to fit a false wooden base to the router and drill a blind hole in the wood for a pivot point around which to rotate the router. You can just see the blind holes in picture 1. One is just the right distance for cutting out the driver rebate, the other is closer to the centre point and is designed for the cut-out that goes all the way through the baffle.

I drilled a pivot hole in the workpiece and left the drill bit embedded in it, to act as the pivot as shown in the 2nd picture (ignore the pencil lines, the pivot point is in the right spot !)

Finished is shown in 3rd picture. Dry fitting the driver shows the holes to be the right size, although I still need to file out a chamfer on the backside to allow the driver some breathing room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blid holes in router template.JPG (67.2 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg drill bit as router guide.JPG (55.6 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg finished cut-outs.JPG (48.4 KB, 327 views)
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 30th September 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 2nd October 2012, 12:06 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

now gluing in one of the holey braces. A bit of a hack job, but it gets dark early now and so it's much harder to see out on the driveway where my portable bench does it's best
Attached Images
File Type: jpg first holey brace.JPG (85.1 KB, 304 views)
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:55 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

tonight's job was to cut, shape and glue in the driver braces
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gluing driver brace.JPG (83.0 KB, 282 views)
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:30 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Nice build. Thanks for all the pictures.
Old 3rd October 2012, 11:34 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Thanks - - it's fun to share the project.
Old 3rd October 2012, 11:42 PM   #27
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Looking good Bigun, I wish I'd cut some smaller holes in my EmKen's braces.
Old 4th October 2012, 04:58 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippy View Post
I wish I'd cut some smaller holes in my EmKen's braces.
why ?

... I just happened to have this really nice Forstener bit in my toolbox, just the one and so the size was fixed.
Old 4th October 2012, 05:06 PM   #29
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Just a weird hunch based on a comment by Dave (P10) and listening impressions / amount of damping I'm cramming in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0742.JPG (160.6 KB, 91 views)
Old 6th October 2012, 07:19 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

well, I figure lots of holes in the brace is best, but leave enough wood between them to ensure strength.

Anyhow, today I...

routed some relief for the back of the driver around the opening so that it can breath better

finished adding cleats for the bottom (pic 1)

lined top half of box with felt (pic2)

installed speaker wire and poly batting for stuffing in top half of the line (pic3)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg add cleats for btm.JPG (79.5 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg add felt.JPG (73.7 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg add stuffing.JPG (77.8 KB, 90 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!