MARTELLO-2, a mini-tower from a single 2' x 4'

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Had a bit of a listening session with the Martello-2's this evening.

Source: YBA CD player
Amp: SV-811 SET
Speakers: a) Martello-2 sat on laminate floor, b) PMC FB1's
Speaker cables: Zu Audio
Positioning: speakers about 1 to 2 ft from front wall, 10 feet apart and 10 feet to listening position, large carpet-rug between speakers and listeners

The system with the PMCs was pretty much faultless, so this was used as a basis for comparison.

Bass: both speakers produced good bass. The Martello's surprised all by how much bass they produced given their small size, immediately obvious on power-up. Whilst they don't reach down as low as the PMCs they were very satisfying to listen to.

Mids: the PMCs were more 'open'. It's not that the Martello-2's sounded 'closed' on their own, but in comparison they are a little recessed. There were no complaints about the mids.

Lower treble: the Martello's were not as clean, the PMC's were clearly better in this regard.

Upper treble: simply not enough of it from the Martello-2's to make a comparison. The PMCs with dedicated tweeters provided upper treble that the EL-70 can't muster.

Conclusion: on their own, the Martello-2's were very nice to listen to but I'm left wondering - what do the Alpair 7's sound like.

The PMCs are clearly a step-up, no competition. No surprise in this.

I find imaging on the Martello-2's to be very good when I had them set-up in a different room and pulled further away from the wall. However, we didn't explicitly explore this aspect during this recent test. My recollection is that both imaged well but that the edge would go to the Martello-2's.

Time on the EL-70's: I'd say they are likely at less than 500 hrs, but certainly more than 250 hours.

Imaging/Soundstage is one of the easiest/quickest wat to get a handle on a speaker's phase coherence and DDR. Given that you probablt missed some other stuff too.dave

probably - there are things about the sound of speakers that I value more highly than others so I'm not even-handed in my assessment of them but subjectively I prefer full range single drivers over multiple drivers with cross-overs, especially for voices, but I value open, clear smooth non-resonant and non-sibilant treble most of all.

only one way to find out
the A7s could narrow such a gap significantly

The A7 does have an excellent reputation. The T/S for the EL-70 and A7 are quite different though so perhaps not something I can try out using the existing boxes...

The boxes do a great job of the bass and have high WAF so I shall put some more hours on the EL-70's and re-test again at some point in the future.

One purpose of the test was to give the builder of the SET a chance to hear some ML-TL's with smallish drivers - as opposed to large boxes which are no longer practical in the new listening room. As a result of the test the builder is now convinced that a small driver in such a box can provide what is needed but is not sure about driver choice.

It was an interesting thought, but looking at the spec sheet the diameter of the front bezel for the A7 is 135mm and for the EL-70 it is 124mm. So it won't fit because the boxes I have are already narrow enough for the EL-70 and wouldn't accept a larger diameter rebate.

I will do some more listening with the EL-70's. I realized that the listening tests done earlier had the speakers wired up to the 8 ohm tap on the amplifier, I should try the 4 ohm tap.

I have move the SV811 amplifier to the room where I keep my Big'un speaker, the AN15. And it also allowed me to use my Magnum Dynalab FM tuner. Both the tuner and the large speaker are in daily use so I'm more familiar with their sound - through my Cellini SET.

Speaker cables changed, no longer the fancy Zu cables but my DIY lamp cord from Home Depot. Again, more what I'm used to listening with.

the Martello-2 once again provide a first impression of impressive bass simply unexpected from small speakers. The overall sound was very pleasing.

I compared the FM tuner with my YBA CD player - noticed the usual limitation with modern popular FM stations sounding like MP3. Only the French channel sounds really good. The CD player sounds better. But then I haven't upgraded the stock electrolytic output caps in my tuner yet (a story for another day).

The treble did not sound distorted from the Martello-2's, cymbals were clear.

Switch over to the Big'un, using both outputs of the amp in parallel. The bass goes deeper but it's no more powerful (mind you, the speaker still has no back on it). However, I did notice that that the sound opened up, it does have a more open lower and upper treble compared with the Martello-2's. Perhaps not quite as smooth though, a little roughness in the treble - the AN15 has yet to receive the Bud P. treatment.

So, I'm still left mighty impressed with the what the Martello-2 cabinet does for the bass, but not yet sure if the EL-70 is providing the treble it should be. More running in is still needed to be sure.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
She wasn't going to trust her dogs so the speakers are still with me. She took a pair of my original Martello speakers, the desktop sized units.

I'm considering using the Martello-2 speakers in a new set-up, as I have myself an old turntable (no vinyl to play on it yet and no clue as to how to set up the turntable either) plus I also recently got an old Marantz receiver with a phono amp inside it so I can put it all together one day.

Set up a turntable? Don't go there -that way lies madness! :D To be honest, that's why I don't have one. I'd spend more time worrying about the VTA or springs than listening to music. The old '70s DD models were great for that: compared to a belt-drive or similar, practically plug & play. ;)

That said, I'm going to buy a Mitchel Hydraulic Reference from a friend, once I have sufficient room for it. Not to use, obviously. Just to look at. :cheers:

well I found this Pioneer PL-2 on eBay when I was messing around, it was on offer for not-a-lot and I just clicked on it. Next thing I know, I'm in to vinyl :D

Now I can look cool next time I see a stack of vinyl on sale, I can flick through and pretend I've heard of some of the artists !

Mostly I listen mono, but with a stereo TT, this stereo Marantz thing that also came off eBay I will need stereo speakers. The Martello-2's will do nicely.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.