How good are fullrange for movies? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2012, 11:43 PM   #21
Bigun is online now Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

If you are doing this to save money then I'd say you are barking up the wrong tree as there are plenty of adequate commercial offerings to do what you want. And they will get you up and running soon rather than you getting frustrated when things aren't turning out how you want and Christmas movie season is approaching fast.

one of the banner adds on this forum is a good example of what you can buy: http://www.fluance.com/fluan5speaks....FexFMgod3AwANg

I doubt that you'll be able to DIY a set of speakers as cheaply as you can buy - given that you don't need super hi-fi for movies. I'd suggest building some really nice DIY speakers to enjoy music, and if they work for movies, all the better. But get some commercial speakers in for now so you can play with the DIY builds at your leisure.

If you really want to build them yourself then look for a speaker kit, the cross-over design will have been done for you already.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 19th September 2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 20th September 2012, 12:34 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORNJ View Post
Been really looking hard at full range drivers for a build since they are so much cheaper of an option than going the route of multiple drivers PLUS crossover/miniDSP and so many more amplifiers....

However, I was originally looking at them for music...now, however, I am starting to wonder how they would be for movies....I am still stuck on the conventional thought that it just wont be enough for those loud hard hitting scenes in movies like Jurasic Park, The Dark Knight, Super 8....

Am I 100% wrong?
I think for movies the alltime best driver is Tang Band flatcone, but it's just a midhigh module so you need a midbass
Old 20th September 2012, 12:36 AM   #23
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNABLASTERTUNERS View Post
I think for movies the alltime best driver is Tang Band flatcone,
But where do you buy them?

dave
Old 20th September 2012, 01:01 AM   #24
ORNJ is offline ORNJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
If you are doing this to save money then I'd say you are barking up the wrong tree as there are plenty of adequate commercial offerings to do what you want. And they will get you up and running soon rather than you getting frustrated when things aren't turning out how you want and Christmas movie season is approaching fast.

one of the banner adds on this forum is a good example of what you can buy: </9>Fluance SXHTB+ 5 Speaker Surround Sound Home Theater System

I doubt that you'll be able to DIY a set of speakers as cheaply as you can buy - given that you don't need super hi-fi for movies. I'd suggest building some really nice DIY speakers to enjoy music, and if they work for movies, all the better. But get some commercial speakers in for now so you can play with the DIY builds at your leisure.

If you really want to build them yourself then look for a speaker kit, the cross-over design will have been done for you already.
I have some commercial ones from SVS. So I am just going after improving my system...and I love to build things....but im a penny saved is a penny earned sort of guy at the same time.

I was thinking about some fonkens or frugal horns to go in my office where I have my current listening room with a borrowed pair of JBLs and adcom amp with a quickie preamp that I built.....

Which is why I turned to this question of full range for movies....cause after much research I have decided on those for this room, thought it may work in a HT setting as well
Old 20th September 2012, 01:14 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
But where do you buy them?

dave
What....these?

Tang Band W4-1757SB 4" Aluminum Cone Driver 264-881
Old 20th September 2012, 01:21 AM   #26
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I was under the impression the ones Dynablaster (correct me of oi'm wrong) keeps raving about are 3"?

But they are of the same construction.

dave
Old 20th September 2012, 01:25 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Regardless of what you end up with, I highly recommend having the exact same speaker for all 5 channels.

You get a true smooth wall of sound, and surround modes don't sound tin-canny.

Norman
Old 20th September 2012, 01:28 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I was under the impression the ones Dynablaster (correct me of oi'm wrong) keeps raving about are 3"?

But they are of the same construction.

dave
I can't find a 3" anywhere. I wasn't aware of one either.
Maybe he's talking about the 4" and calling it a 3"
I do that, I refer to the actual cone size rather than including the frame.
Old 20th September 2012, 01:30 AM   #29
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

ORJN, did you happen to see these? Been working on these for about a week now.

W5-1611 SAF - The Sequel

TB W5 1611SAF, about $50 each. So far - so good.
Old 20th September 2012, 01:34 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Is that driver soft on the treble as people have said?

Hide this!Advertise here!