How good are fullrange for movies?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well Dohh... You needs live in a Trailer or a Loft,( if young ), to have best conditions sounds.
Or have a dedicated Audio/theater room ?
In which case you wouldn't be on this forum :)
Concur though on the slim hope of diy fullranger experiments to meet your expectations in your home.
Find and buy some Used speakers of Known repute?
There's a whole world of previous and proven outstanding product 'out there'.
Often v reasonably priced actually.
Unless your hobby is building/experimenting with diy speakers ?
In which case: fill yer boots.

yea, im a builder/experimenter....

I get bored with building/modifying computers I work on speakers and my sound system for a bit....then I go back to building computers

With little spurts of golf thrown in here and there....

I am just a "tinkerer" as others have put it.

yea, im a builder/experimenter....

I get bored with building/modifying computers I work on speakers and my sound system for a bit....then I go back to building computers

With little spurts of golf thrown in here and there....

I am just a "tinkerer" as others have put it.

the last thing anyone here would want to dissuade you from is building more speakers, or amps - sooner or later one of them will be right :D

and too much golf has gotta be bad for ya - all that fresh air, exercise and most importantly calming communing with nature - how you gonna stay plugged in on the links? oh yah, Wi-Fi and an smart phone ;)

But where do you buy them?

dave

in Germany, but the Price is too high, so here is some sale in Italy but I think they don't give warranty(what is very important for TB because there was more than average warranty cases with those flatcones)
TANG BAND W3-1797S
TANG BAND W4-1757SB

I have the 3", and as I said so many times, it's a hyper driver from outer space, forget the 3D that you experienced with widerangers, those flatcones make 4D, and in addition to that they don't beam and have ammount and kind of high frequency that I never heard from any wideranger...

What Sarajan Ebaen says about them it's all true and a bit underrated:D
6moons audio reviews: Boenicke Audio SLS
6moons audio reviews: Boenicke Audio B10

I listened to them just a short period of time in package "enclosures", because I "had no time" to make better boxes, and I kind was afraid how would those sound in proper boxes lol:rofl: so I sent them immediatly further to friends to listen, because it was a revelation that I had to share with others:)

with a pair of those in front of you there is no need for surround speakers:drool: altough a complete surround system with flatcone would be the best home theater that I could imagine:)

that loudspeaker with sphere is unfinished, it's just a sketch...

Attachments

• DSC02289.JPG
    DSC02289.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC02300.JPG
    DSC02300.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC02320.JPG
    DSC02320.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC02334.JPG
    DSC02334.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC02336.JPG
    DSC02336.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 133
  • mini blaster cyber silver1111sonic11111.jpg
    mini blaster cyber silver1111sonic11111.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
one of the frustrating issues with the TB product line is confusing abundance of models form which to choose, and the short lifespan of many

Partsexpress & Solen are the 2 primary NA distributors of the brand, and the W3-1797 is listed an NLA by the former, and only one in stock @ $93 by the latter.

They may well be a great driver, and TB may be very accommodating as an OEM supplier, or perhaps amenable to group buys (minimum runs of 100s, and well every batch have the same performance?) , but for the small DIYer, this "now you see me, now you don't" can be a bit frustrating.

and excuse me, but "4D"? really?

and
with a pair of those in front of you there is no need for surround speakers although a complete surround system with flatcone would be the best home theater I could imagine
this driver must be very special indeed

Last edited:
Are full rangers good for movies... Personally no. Even with a sub. But I've become particularly demanding of movie sound in the past year as my kids now stay up and watch movies like Shrek. They tell me to crank it. Who am I to say no. Hard for a 4" cone to keep up with 4 CSS Trio 12s... Muahahahaha :devil:

For easy listening, there's something quite nice about full range ;)

Bottom line, it can be done, but the demands of high efficiency fullrange and visceral movie experience are at odds when it comes to speaker unit design.

i find hard to understand what exactly are you trying to say here

because the one time i tried bumping the volume higher than i should on my pair of 12" CF AN, the sound was so loud you could feel it, and i am not talking only about the bass. You can't get more visceral than that. I can bet you that they can reproduce a gunshot louder than a handgun actually sounds.

i find hard to understand what exactly are you trying to say here

because the one time i tried bumping the volume higher than i should on my pair of 12" CF AN, the sound was so loud you could feel it, and i am not talking only about the bass. You can't get more visceral than that. I can bet you that they can reproduce a gunshot louder than a handgun actually sounds.

I guess that's one way to do it, with a 12". Like I said, it can be done. But all else equal, with the same size driver, fullrange drivers will have lower moving mass for high frequency reproduction, and this hurts the bottom end. But if you are using a 12", then you don't have to worry about the bottom end.

and excuse me, but "4D"? really?

and this driver must be very special indeed

yes, they change the thickness of air and the sounds become "touchable" and all around you, it showers you with sound, soundstage is not positioned classic like other loudspeakers do, but the whole room becomes soundstage(what of course depends on the recording), and you really are active taking part in this event of "listening", it's a little bit hard to explain also in my native language, it's a new dimension in sound, it's not so "perfect" like RAAL ribbon but it can do something that RAAL can not- friend whom I gave those TB for listening, has literary fallen down from his chair at the end of the "Carrie" movie, and then he listened on youtube to some spooky forest and he must go out to take some breath:D sounds come also left and right from you, behind, beneath! and above you, for example in Jazzamor "Forget Yesterday" the laughter starts behind my back, then goes under my chair to finaly end in front of me... and what's also interessting- those flatcones make my midbass for class or two better as they really are, bass also becomes new dimension/layers in space and time:) and the high frequencies are immense, it's something new for senses, for example this song is not normal when you listen to it with TB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZSCH6c4VQw

they are far from tonaly right or neutral, but what they do is that dimension beyond 3D and actively taking part in it... for electronic music there is no better driver I claim:hphones:

what also Ebaen has noticed is that when you stand real close to one speaker even then the soundstage doesn't collapse, I dont think any other LS can do that:) altough they like all other loudspeakers have they sweetspot, to me the effect was best when slightly toed in

PS: the most noticeably break in is on those drivers, at start they are unlistenable because of the metallic sizzle they produce but when they are burnt in then you can have close to live experience like Boenicke has done on the presentation of his SLS

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
and of course the sound never comes from them (just when the recording does so that you should hear sound comes from loudspeakers) it's hillarious how they dissapear :D

the first second I've heard them I was loughing out loud and can't stop laughing:rofl: and after that I was just so:soapbox:

PS: they also stop babys from crying and effect is the same:soapbox::cheerful: :rofl:

Last edited:
you see, but it's a strange thing that such driver and for this price and with MMS double than normal for its cone size, can sound "better" then other great drivers, so people think it's a lie or hype or something like that, because it's just unbeleivable :D

now excuse me, must go in the garage to finish some car hifi spheres with Visaton FRS 5X, also cheap- 10Euro per unit but good :D

Attachments

• DSC02823.JPG
    DSC02823.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
you see, but it's a strange thing that such driver and for this price and with MMS double than normal for its cone size, can sound "better" then other great drivers, so people think it's a lie or hype or something like that, because it's just unbeleivable :D

now excuse me, must go in the garage to finish some car hifi spheres with Visaton FRS 5X, also cheap- 10Euro per unit but good :D

yes, that's all very nice, but I'm just saying - that if you can't buy them, or need to order 500 at a time .....

Dyna blaster,

These SLS uses dual 3” crossed in 6db to a wide band monacor mid-woofer with dual opposing woofers. And the B10 uses dual 4’s (availiable in US) rolling off below 1,500hz to dual 10’s. I think they are crossing in right where baffle step is.

They are using the 3-4" drivers as 6db crossed tweeters.

The comments in the reviews report amazing tweeter dispersion. And perhaps they need all the tweet-cone output area to keep up with the massive reflective field radiation.

I like the idea of 5khz and above directional with all else omni.
Seems more like dispersion of a voice.

But perhaps the w4-1757sb needs more attention from us experimenters…………… but it ain't cheap either.
Looking at its response, it is a little hot past 9khz.

Norman

Yes, those Monacors are SPH176, and 3" TB I think are crossed at 1000Hz and wired paralel in 2Ohm

for me those are cheap, alltime bestbuy, why is that- I've allready said in my posts, they can do what no else driver can, and I also doubt that BMR drivers can do it :) have I mention that those flatcones image ridiculous? :D

Last edited:
the 4" tang band flat sandwich

"The B10 is a 4-driver two-way with a 15uF/8Ω cap plus 6Ω Duelund graphite/silver resistor in front of the paralleled 4-inch mid/tweeters. The cap's 6dB/octave high-pass hinges at 1.5kHz to produce audible output to 400Hz. The series-connected woofers whose compact neodymium magnets are held captive in the opposing walls run wide open. Their rear emissions load into thousands of special cardboard-trapped minuscule air channels. This scheme effectively exhausts the air action inside the crammed enclosure."

What would we use to copy ?

but I found this at diyma.
"I thought that some TB flat honeycomb would be similar and the 1757SB had the smoothest impedance plots published. So I tried one but found high distortion peaks at 550Hz, 1.6k and a wide area around 10k (dark violet track). I modified the speaker by laminating the front with a 6 cm diameter carbon fiber tissue disk and coating the back of the honey comb disk with some green glue (green track).
That got rid of the two lower resonance peaks but the resonances at 10k did not change and are still very obvious in step response or waterfall plots. It would be a very good sounding midrange but these resonances do not make a good full range speaker.
Any suggestion how to modify further or any alternative speaker? "

Norman

Last edited:
hard hitting movies

Been really looking hard at full range drivers for a build since they are so much cheaper of an option than going the route of multiple drivers PLUS crossover/miniDSP and so many more amplifiers....

However, I was originally looking at them for music...now, however, I am starting to wonder how they would be for movies....I am still stuck on the conventional thought that it just wont be enough for those loud hard hitting scenes in movies like Jurasic Park, The Dark Knight, Super 8....

Am I 100% wrong?
It is the low frequency that give you the hard hitting feeling of movies because you feel the lows more than you hear them. Explosions, crashes and all sound effects for that matter have many frequency components in them including lows, mids and highs. Filter out the lows and play only let's say from 100hz and up through expensive multiway speaker and the explosions will sound like fine china dishes breaking instead of earth shattering, window rattling sound that they should be. Play within its power limits, the fullrangers and a set of good sub will be plenty for those type of movies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.