How good are fullrange for movies? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2012, 09:08 PM   #11
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
= 160-320 Hz.

Is that what you mean?

dave
I would say approximately 100-320Hz. From modern research, the impact from the bass units span the entire frequency spectrum, so even treble reproduction is important.
Old 19th September 2012, 09:09 PM   #12
ORNJ is offline ORNJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, if it is of any help, i plan to run a pair of TC LMS-R 15" Sealed subs. I was thinking of the 6 or 8 inch FR drivers for it since you generally dont need those HF details like you do in music when it comes to movies.

But maybe Coaxials would be better?
Old 19th September 2012, 09:48 PM   #13
Bigun is online now Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

p.s. I did find that with the floorstanders, I don't need multiple subs. They go deep enough on the surrounds and wings to give plenty of bass. Actually, I'm not even using a sub right now and haven't missed it for a couple of years (although I expect I will eventually put one back down there but it will have to big to justify itself).
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 19th September 2012, 10:02 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
I just watched Avengers Assemble and its PLENTY powerful enough through my Emkens. Impact and speed aplenty. It even scared the cat
5 of them would probably kill you (and thats just moving them)

I think Bigun's AN project will be fun for movies as well. (Leave your drapes open and crank it so the neighbours can watch as well)
Old 19th September 2012, 10:30 PM   #15
Tias is offline Tias  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

I recently watched Drive in surround with my two Mikasa's with FE126's as front speakers and used crappy Sonys for center and rear. and a Velodyne CHT12 as sub and must say I was blown away,... But that might be because the movie has such an incredible soundtrack to it. the continuous low frequency rumble and then the high voice of the song was just magic to me.
I will need to try it with something like Transformers (highway scene) or Final Destination 2 (highway Scene) or even the Ronin car chase scene to see how it works.

I'm actually looking forward to building a full range surround system now.
Old 19th September 2012, 10:41 PM   #16
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

I think it best to consider who is going to have the remote in hand....
The full rangers are delicate.

I thought you were on the right track with 7" woofer 2-ways.
Old 19th September 2012, 10:55 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

yea, its just that 2 ways require the extra expense to bet more than one driver pluss the crossover needs to be made....and if you go active you need two channel for each 2 way speaker....and if you are like me, then you use your sound system even for movies cause the built in speakers suck.

I like movies loud...but not as loud as others I have known....I only intend to run them above 80hz as I will run the sub below that....or even above 100 or so if I have to.

I am starting to wonder if Coaxials would be the better route...but I have heard that they are a little difficult to tame.
Old 19th September 2012, 11:10 PM   #18
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
If cost is a concern, then you can do years of research and end up with a standard 5.1 surround sound system for movies. Those use five small fullrange speakers and a subwoofer. The 3" fullrange units don't have much bass extension, with rolloff starting in the midrange. The subwoofer is typically crossed over at 125Hz, you can even hear it at 500Hz, meaning the sound is localized. It will excite all manner of room modes. It will sound terrible to those who have heard a proper setup. I wouldn't cross the subwoofer past 60Hz. The system would have to sound great without the subwoofer, and the subwoofer would be added for special effect.

Coaxials use crossovers. They are a type of multi-way speaker, the tweeter is just fitted into the woofer.
Old 19th September 2012, 11:16 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

hmm...........

I'm thinking 8" drivers across the front, with baffle step. And sub ideally between the fronts, not shoved off to a corner.

That should do well.

And yes, to me, the 10:1 compression plus mid-priced receiver often makes ultra highs sound harsh (breaking glass anyone ?), so extension past 10khz may not be needed.

To me movies are about intelligibility, little details, and bass slam.
Rumble is needed also too to create tension or make you jump.

But bass impact requires cone area. I came across this discovery when swithing from (same 80hz subwoofer) from a small 3 ways (8") to a large 3-way (15"), and later moved on to dual 15's a side (still cross 80hz to the same subs). Impact, like a bass drum, is a fun dynamic thing.

I'm soon to try a 12" worth of cone area per side (multiple full ranges) and that should give me some impact. 8" driver (atotal area of one) was good for movies for me, but could sound like a toy listening to bass music even with a subwoofer (floyd, nails, songs like click click boom from Fast and the Furious). That's why I'd swap out systems sometime twice a week. Lately I've been on a vocal kick, so I've stayed away from the 750hz crossover point 2-ways.

Norman
Old 19th September 2012, 11:27 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

cost isnt neccesarily a concern in the fact that I dont have it....its more of a....I dont want to neccesarily spend it if there is a better option for cheaper....hence the reason I am here.

in our current living room space is limited so I cant go BIG....I tried convincing the wife but it was a no go....atleast I get my subs....

so the other option was to build some better bookshelfs with either coax,fr, or a 6-8" and a good tweeter. I was looking at that route and going active crossover but I simply cannot justify the massive amount of amplifiers I would need to go full active unless I went the route of a phantom center and only had active in the LCR or LR(with phantom center) and just keep some cheaper bookshelfs for rear speakers....

im just "frugal"

Hide this!Advertise here!