How good are fullrange for movies?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you are doing this to save money then I'd say you are barking up the wrong tree as there are plenty of adequate commercial offerings to do what you want. And they will get you up and running soon rather than you getting frustrated when things aren't turning out how you want and Christmas movie season is approaching fast.

one of the banner adds on this forum is a good example of what you can buy: http://www.fluance.com/fluan5speaks.html?gclid=CPHJ4_rpwrICFexFMgod3AwANg

I doubt that you'll be able to DIY a set of speakers as cheaply as you can buy - given that you don't need super hi-fi for movies. I'd suggest building some really nice DIY speakers to enjoy music, and if they work for movies, all the better. But get some commercial speakers in for now so you can play with the DIY builds at your leisure.

If you really want to build them yourself then look for a speaker kit, the cross-over design will have been done for you already.

Last edited:
Been really looking hard at full range drivers for a build since they are so much cheaper of an option than going the route of multiple drivers PLUS crossover/miniDSP and so many more amplifiers....

However, I was originally looking at them for music...now, however, I am starting to wonder how they would be for movies....I am still stuck on the conventional thought that it just wont be enough for those loud hard hitting scenes in movies like Jurasic Park, The Dark Knight, Super 8....

Am I 100% wrong?

I think for movies the alltime best driver is Tang Band flatcone, but it's just a midhigh module so you need a midbass:)

If you are doing this to save money then I'd say you are barking up the wrong tree as there are plenty of adequate commercial offerings to do what you want. And they will get you up and running soon rather than you getting frustrated when things aren't turning out how you want and Christmas movie season is approaching fast.

one of the banner adds on this forum is a good example of what you can buy: </9>Fluance SXHTB+ 5 Speaker Surround Sound Home Theater System

I doubt that you'll be able to DIY a set of speakers as cheaply as you can buy - given that you don't need super hi-fi for movies. I'd suggest building some really nice DIY speakers to enjoy music, and if they work for movies, all the better. But get some commercial speakers in for now so you can play with the DIY builds at your leisure.

If you really want to build them yourself then look for a speaker kit, the cross-over design will have been done for you already.

I have some commercial ones from SVS. So I am just going after improving my system...and I love to build things....but im a penny saved is a penny earned sort of guy at the same time.

I was thinking about some fonkens or frugal horns to go in my office where I have my current listening room with a borrowed pair of JBLs and adcom amp with a quickie preamp that I built.....

Which is why I turned to this question of full range for movies....cause after much research I have decided on those for this room, thought it may work in a HT setting as well

+1 IF cost is a major issue, wait for BLACK FRIDAY and purchase a discounted pair of 3-WAY Stereo Speakers that cover most of the 20-20Khz audio range and have decent efficiency. Spend all your money on a GREAT, EFFICIENT stereo pair of 3-way speakers for HT and music.

IF your DNA is creative and requires that you learn and build .... then...
Give some consideration to researching high'ish (94-96db/watt) efficiency speakers with controlled directivity. There are many positive comments on the value of greater DYNAMICS and improved low level MUSICAL DETAIL.

There are many PROVEN Econowave designs based upon the low cost SEOS-12 waveguide and 10" or 12" midbass that could be sized to fit into your room and mate well with stereo 100Hz woofers. To control cost and construction time, you could build a 2-way Econowave and add stereo woofers when your creative DNA demands a new challenge. THINK life-time speakers.

SEOS? Speaker kits DIY Sound Group'

We have Tang Band 4ft^3 MLTL W8-1808 speakers in our bedroom and enjoy the coherence from a single driver, but our family would never be satisfied with the limited BW and modest max_SPL for home theater. BluRay... HD audio downloads... KIDS and their competitive friends!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Like to mention these, good starter project, cost is good, hand built crossover with good components, and a sealed box design... HDS by Madisound.

1 kit is $133 (no box)

Attachments

• HDS 100.jpg
    HDS 100.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 223
ODougbo, those look nice that you are working on, ill be following to see what your final thoughts are.

I would usually go for something like the SEOS 12 as that was my initial plan. However, that is what my wife told me that I couldn't do because of size....however, if we ever get a bigger place I will be building something bigger.

I can live with that, especially considering the amount of space I am working with....if I can get my photobucket to log on I will post the picture

If the speakers are going in the entertainment center then I wouldn't spend a lot of time on the design and build because you'll get some nasty-ish nulls in bass response. Toole's book has some illuminating response plots for this arrangement. Just buy some Pioneer B20s and be done with it.

photo.jpg

Here is the family room the HT system is in, so you can see that its not a large distance between seating and speakers. however, it is a open floor plan so that room is open to the kitchen and formal living room.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.