Fullrange Dipole, sort of!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all.
I am looking for a fun project to keep me busy over the coming winter. I would like to try try my hand at building a full range speaker system. I would also like this to be a dipole speaker. I really enjoy other dipole speakers I've heard and like to see if it will work for me with one of my own projects. Finally, this would not be a true full range speaker design. I would be adding a woofer to compliment the lower octaves that the dipole full range would not be able to reproduce.

My questions are,
Has anyone tried a full range speaker in a dipole arrangement?
What budget FR drivers would you all recommend? I've looked at Mark Audio, Dayton, TB and Fostex. But to be honest, I don't know which way to turn.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Is there a reason you are suggesting "smaller" drive units? I was assuming larger (8") full range units would be better. Just from the perspective of their ability to play lower. Am I way off base here? I don't want to sacrifice midrange quality or extension if possible.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You are using the FR as a midtweeter. A smaller driver will do better, by using helper woofers you are removing the limitations that might push you towards a larger driver -- even FR i personally think 4-5" is the sweet spot. And if you are going to try to get away with a passive XO, the typically higher efficiency of a larger driver is a disadvantage. And in my opinion the smaller driver will sund better,

dave

What if I were willing to change directions completely and go the single driver route? Something along the lines of a rear loaded horn. The cabinet work is the easy part for me, the trick is the design and the driver choice.

Possibly somthing for a new thread?

Thanks again

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.