College Radio Station Speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2012, 04:37 PM   #1
WSBUFM is offline WSBUFM  United States
diyAudio Member

Default College Radio Station Speakers

Hey everyone,
Im the assistant production director for WSBU, The Buzz. St. Bonaventure University's student-run radio station.
In the lobby of the station there are speakers in the ceiling that at one time worked. On the back of the speakers they are "Realistic FE 103" the wire that connected them to a stereo and/or sound board consists of four very thin copper wires covered in a red coating, a black coating, a yellow coating and a green coating.
The stereo I would like to connect them to is an Optimus STA 795.

If anyone could tell me anything that is wrong with what I'm working with or possible solutions to get the speakers back up and running you would be benefitting a lot of people at a non-profit organization with not a lot of money.
I have a feeling it is the wire, but I really am not sure. My experience with sound is limited to sound boards, not speakers and stereos.
Old 17th September 2012, 04:45 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

What you have is the Radio Shack 40-1197. Lots of FullRangers (including me) got their start with this driver.

1st thing to do is check the drivers. A 1st pass test is to disconnect at least one of the lead-in wires and measure impedance with a multimeter or intermittently connect a battery (9V are convienient),

dave
Old 17th September 2012, 04:51 PM   #3
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Presumably you have a station engineer who ought to be quite comfortable figuring this out?

Presumably this telephone cable (not a great choice for speaker wire) is wired to both speakers, so you need to identify which color pairs go to which speaker, making a note of which conductor goes to the red dot or + marking on the speaker. Each identified pair would be connected to one channel of the amplifier observing the same polarity for both channels. (+/red on speaker to +/red on amplifier.)

The coating you refer to is called "insulation."

Make sure that the uninsulated copper conductors do not touch each other or anything else before turning on the receiver.

Note that this also assumes that the wiring is in good condition and the speakers themselves are OK.

Be careful! Make sure there are no nearby hazards like exposed AC wiring, sharp edges, etc., before doing anything.
Old 17th September 2012, 07:43 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

If a replacement is needed and space etc are all things being equal there is this deal Madisound (US):

Madisound Speaker Store

You will score on points for the price. :-)

Others here may have alternate suggestions

Hide this!Advertise here!