New speakers have no WAF - looking for a new design - but what about sound? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2012, 07:51 PM   #21
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
Tias,
The question I would have for you is do you really need to use the folded horn if you would be happy with a sub-woofer and moving the drivers into a different cabinet. If you really like the sound of the full range speaker and can live without that huge cabinet you could make something much smaller and either work with a wide bandwidth sub or add another larger direct radiator below that speaker to again have a full range system. Are you in love with the bass section of the design or the upper range of the direct radiator, that is the real question here. Your significant other is not going to love those things no matter what color you paint them besides cutting the dry wall out and putting them flush in the wall. Think about what it is about them that makes you happy and then decide what it is you are after.

FE126E work quite well in FH3, and even the BK12, but if either of those don't pass WAF, enclosures that would will probably need to XO high enough that stereo woofers would be required.
Old 17th September 2012, 08:09 PM   #22
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

OT - Yes Chris, the number are the wettie thickness in mm. water temp here goes from 16deg in the summer and down to 3 or 4 (maybe less) in the winter.
Old 17th September 2012, 08:16 PM   #23
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
FE126E work quite well in FH3, and even the BK12, but if either of those don't pass WAF,
FH3 has passed WAF, seems the sensible approach to me,

dave
Old 17th September 2012, 08:42 PM   #24
jdm91 is offline jdm91  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
Tias,
The question I would have for you is do you really need to use the folded horn if you would be happy with a sub-woofer and moving the drivers into a different cabinet. If you really like the sound of the full range speaker and can live without that huge cabinet you could make something much smaller and either work with a wide bandwidth sub or add another larger direct radiator below that speaker to again have a full range system. Are you in love with the bass section of the design or the upper range of the direct radiator, that is the real question here. Your significant other is not going to love those things no matter what color you paint them besides cutting the dry wall out and putting them flush in the wall. Think about what it is about them that makes you happy and then decide what it is you are after.

Yes there is alot of different factors going into play with alot of different boxes to pick from. I was trying to say that if the org. owner was going to throw them away or out and to see how much shipping is? I just wanted to see what this drivers sound like in this type of box? Jdm
Old 17th September 2012, 09:33 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

JDM,
That would be a long slow expensive boat ride from where they are to your house......
Old 17th September 2012, 10:57 PM   #26
Tias is offline Tias  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

I really like this forum, everybody so helpful and extremely funny. I guess most of you can relate to the problem well

So, yes, not getting rid of the girlfriend.
Although I like headphones I haven't got the money to invest in a decent one with amp at the moment, that and I don't think she would agree with that either, me sitting there with headphones on, not hearing her when she talks to me
Had a look at the metronome, and I'm not sold on the design (irony?), meaning when I do change I want something I really like.
And yes, Dave FH3 has passed the WAF test, so that seems all good.
Kindhornman - Since this is my first full range setup I'm mainly in love with the full body of the sound, fills the room so nicely. it's mainly in the upper region where it excels though.
I want a clear full range audio that fills the room. does that make sense?
I played Dark Side of the Moon on vinyl as the first thing, and how it on my old system (B&W) sometimes got hard to listen to a little annoying in your face sound, this time it was soft and gentle and everywhere and so crisp.
So I would hate to lose that by changing cabinets but realise I will have to take that risk

and yes JDM, don't think you want to get those shipped, they way a ton and are pretty big as you can tell. Would be very pricey. Better get some carpenter or fellow DIY'er to build some for you. I'd recommend it.

Cheers.
Old 18th September 2012, 12:13 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
The true soul mate will give you a room where you can put your monstrosities, err speakers without too much comment..

My wife's only comment upon seeing the 12 cu ft Onken boxes (port and cabinet volume) arrive some years back was "I thought you said they would be smaller than the ones they replaced" but what I had actually said was they would have a smaller footprint which was actually true.

The room in question is in the basement so...
Speaking from experience, don't make the "man cave".
It is a lonely place not often visited by companions.
Eventually you will visit the man cave less also.
And there will be complaining when you crank it from the man cave.

It is better to make the setup look super nice.
That way you can enjoy it in the community space.

word to the wise.

Norman
Old 18th September 2012, 12:25 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Norman,
Sounds like you speak from, experience there. I would say that if you can make the speakers something that she likes she is much more likely to sit and listen with you, that is much better than listening alone, unless she won't be quite.
Old 18th September 2012, 12:32 AM   #29
Tias is offline Tias  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Ah yes, there's no chance I can take the speakers and the turntable out of the livingroom and into the cave (more like an office really). She likes listening to music (almost) as much as I do.

I'll have to find nicer looking cabinets than these ones (shouldn't be too hard;-) put the 126's in that, then repaint the cabinets and find some new drivers for them and put those in my cave.
Old 18th September 2012, 01:30 AM   #30
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tias View Post
Ah yes, there's no chance I can take the speakers and the turntable out of the livingroom and into the cave (more like an office really). She likes listening to music (almost) as much as I do.
you've already won one lottery my friend,
Quote:

I'll have to find nicer looking cabinets than these ones (shouldn't be too hard;-) put the 126's in that, then repaint the cabinets and find some new drivers for them and put those in my cave.
If she's seen any of the FH3 builds in various galleries, it should be clear that they can be very presentable indeed. Ask about grilles - for reasons mentioned elsewhere, I always try to incorporate those in any build that might spend time in "our" upstairs living room. ( 2 words - buried magnets)

Hide this!Advertise here!