Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2012, 11:50 AM   #11
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Freezing......
Nah, just a bit nippy. 2/2 or 3/2's in the summer and 5/4/3's in the winter - who needs bath water if your a man?
Or maybe we're (in the UK) men and every one else is wussie?
Votes on postcards addressed to:
Old 17th September 2012, 03:11 PM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippy View Post
Freezing......
Nah, just a bit nippy. 2/2 or 3/2's in the summer and 5/4/3's in the winter - who needs bath water if your a man?
Or maybe we're (in the UK) men and every one else is wussie?
Votes on postcards addressed to:
I assume like here, you guys are wearing wet suits? (water temp pretty much 4-6 C all year round.

dave
Old 17th September 2012, 04:23 PM   #13
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Girlfriend complaining ..!

A lot of work to change the color , without seeing the girlfriend , I would have to err with keeping The speakers ..
Old 17th September 2012, 04:35 PM   #14
Vix is offline Vix  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

If everything else fails, you could always build a Metronome. If she dislikes even these, then the problem lies elsewhere...
Old 17th September 2012, 04:42 PM   #15
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Let's just get over the fact that whether they appreciate the sound, many girlfriends / wives, simply won't like an even very well crafted and finished large loudspeaker enclosure

Choice between big speakers and a soul-mate? sorry, that's not rocket science - there's always headphones
Old 17th September 2012, 05:01 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Yup. Although since I'm perpetually single, and don't have space to use large speakers myself, I'm not exactly one to talk.
Old 17th September 2012, 05:03 PM   #17
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The true soul mate will give you a room where you can put your monstrosities, err speakers without too much comment..

My wife's only comment upon seeing the 12 cu ft Onken boxes (port and cabinet volume) arrive some years back was "I thought you said they would be smaller than the ones they replaced" but what I had actually said was they would have a smaller footprint which was actually true.

The room in question is in the basement so...
Old 17th September 2012, 05:27 PM   #18
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
but what I had actually said was they would have a smaller footprint which was actually true.

The room in question is in the basement so...
I see what you did there

but I have to say, honestly, with that orange even I wouldnt let them in the main lounge-room, despite the obvious architectural and sound quality. Perhaps you could try spiking her dinner with magic mushrooms and playing her some rather epic psychedelic rock… she will either love them afterwards, or run screaming from the room in fear they are eating her alive
Old 17th September 2012, 05:58 PM   #19
jdm91 is offline jdm91  United States
diyAudio Member

I wish there was a way to ship the boxes to michigan. My wife said put in your room if people don't see it what do I care. I had to give my dads big sansuis back to my brother after spending over $200.00 to do these speakers. To old, to big and to ugly was my wifes saying. I can build a furgal horn mk3 and big okay but, anything bigger its got to go. A happy wife makes a peaceful home I have learned. Its a team not me or you or I. Well if you can tell me the shipping maybe I will take a stab at it. Thanks jdm.
Old 17th September 2012, 06:24 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Tias,
The question I would have for you is do you really need to use the folded horn if you would be happy with a sub-woofer and moving the drivers into a different cabinet. If you really like the sound of the full range speaker and can live without that huge cabinet you could make something much smaller and either work with a wide bandwidth sub or add another larger direct radiator below that speaker to again have a full range system. Are you in love with the bass section of the design or the upper range of the direct radiator, that is the real question here. Your significant other is not going to love those things no matter what color you paint them besides cutting the dry wall out and putting them flush in the wall. Think about what it is about them that makes you happy and then decide what it is you are after.

Hide this!Advertise here!