A tale of four speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As I got my "missing" package, I got 4 generic raw paper, foam surround 3 1/2 inch speakers. I went all out, they were $1.69 each.

The following plots are: Raw as supplied, Ductcap cut out and a phase plug added, a few dots in a pattern made of craft glue, and a wiped on, wiped off coat of jesso.

Measurements were one inch above the plane, gated 2 ms.

Attachments

• raw.jpg
    raw.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 289
  • plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 281
  • dots.jpg
    dots.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 268
  • onecoat.jpg
    onecoat.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 267
OK, some analysis.
Phase plug reduced the depth of the dips in the 5 to 10K range by about 4 dB. It added a big spike at 18K.

One coat shifted everything down just a bit, and smoothed things by a dB or so. It has considerably more top end, but I suspect that is breakup.

Dots were considerably smoother in the 1500 to 5K range but a few dips were deeper.

No magic formula yet. Each change was, well different. Time to combine changes. I will do a thin wipe in the dotted driver and add a backside coat to the one-coat along with a bit of a thick bead around the surround.

Plugs, now why did I not think of that.

I ran impedance tests. The thin coat and the dots only shifted Fs about 3 Hz. The two sided heavy coated, which happens to also be the phase plug, shifted 24 Hz. Significant mass. I think the manufacturing tolerance is so wide I can't correlate the shift in Q.

Quick playing them just sitting on the bench. Dots sound better.

I figure my $7 was well spent. Time to move on. I was quite surprised how well the dots work over even very heavy damping. Sure wish we could see some inferometry pictures. Where are the college kids when you need them? I am really looking forward to hearing Dave's Fostex compared with stock and the hack job I did.

Conclusion:
Yes, the pattern treatment works quite well. No BS about it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.