Help on 2.1 System - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2012, 04:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help on 2.1 System

Hi, I would like to build a 2.1 system, i already bought 2 TB W3-881SI 3" and a Aura NS6-255-8A 6"

2x TB W3-881SI 3" for de L/R

Aura NS6-255-8A 6" for woofer.

so, my questions:

Can i design the speakers for the L/R work more on mid and high and left the low for woofer or is best to do this with crossovers?

Obs: i'm think on bookshelf or Tabaq besaed project.
or This
http://gonecatfishin.net/Enda.pdf

Last edited by umpierre; 16th September 2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 16th September 2012, 08:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Well of course you can build a 2.1 system.
If you want more dynamics then buy another aura and make a 2 way.
If you go with a 2.1 then the tang band will have to be crossed pretty high, and the sub will be localized.
Old 3rd January 2013, 12:23 AM   #3
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpierre View Post
Hi, I would like to build a 2.1 system, i already bought 2 TB W3-881SI 3" and a Aura NS6-255-8A 6"

2x TB W3-881SI 3" for de L/R

Aura NS6-255-8A 6" for woofer.

so, my questions:

Can i design the speakers for the L/R work more on mid and high and left the low for woofer or is best to do this with crossovers?

Obs: i'm think on bookshelf or Tabaq besaed project.
or This
http://gonecatfishin.net/Enda.pdf
I also have the same combo and want to build 2.1 system ("enda"). Can someone provide a cabinet size for Aura as a subwoofer?.

--
Sensitivity 91 dB 1W/1m
Voice Coil Diameter 1"

THIELE-SMALL PARAMETERS
Resonant Frequency (Fs) 55 Hz
DC Resistance (Re) 6 ohms
Mechanical Q (Qms) 10.50
Electromagnetic Q (Qes) 0.58
Total Q (Qts) 0.55
Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas) 0.58 ft.³
Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms) 0.90 mm/N
BL Product (BL) 6.10 Tm
Diaphragm Mass Inc. Airload (Mms) 9.30g
Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax) 3.9 mm
Surface Area of Cone (Sd) 126 cm²

Aura NS6-255-8A 6" Paper Cone Neodymium Magnet Woofer 299-030

--
I will be using the sub on a similar space as the satellite so localization should not be a major issue.

gychang
Old 3rd January 2013, 05:33 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have TB W3-881SI and I think it is medium quality speaker and need the tweeter... Think about FR88EX or FR89EX.
Old 3rd January 2013, 12:47 PM   #5
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin123 View Post
I have TB W3-881SI and I think it is medium quality speaker and need the tweeter... Think about FR88EX or FR89EX.
I am stuck with W3-881SIs...

gychang
Old 8th February 2013, 05:25 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I too have several TB and NS6. Would it be a difficult(many parts) crossover to use 2 tb and 1 ns6 in a single box crossed at about 1k? Im thinking 1k to safely keep the bass out of the tb. Thanks for any input.
Old 8th February 2013, 05:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I've used the TB W3-881SI and to dolphin, you gotta be crazy thinking this needs a tweeter!! First time I heard it I couldn't believe how extended the top end was. No bass though. Measurements confirmed what I was hearing to.

Here's my thread and thoughts on using this driver with woofer support: An in-wall FAST that really rocks

It really needs to be crossed around 200hz as a minimum to have any clean output beyond casual listening. Even with my relatively strong 24db/oct high pass at 300hz it'll complain at times. Does really well though. I really like this little thing.

I think 1khz it to high and you won't need 2 of them per channel. One is fine. I'd shoot for 500hz if going passive. I worked one up for my setup since I was tired of all the added wiring of my active cross over. I never got to really try it out properly though cause I had to parallel caps and series inductors like crazy to make the part sizes I needed.
Old 8th February 2013, 06:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Tuxedo - I was thinking of using them in a countertop type box. tb forward facing and the ns6 down firing.
Old 8th February 2013, 06:16 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Indeed, dolphin might be losing his/her marbles. The high end is very extended on the W3-881SI.

Where you put the crossover point depends a lot on what your SPL requirements are. My experience with the W3-881SI is quite different from tuxedocivic's because mine are used in a bedroom system for movies/TV and light music. I don't have mine high-passed at all and they do very well even at SPLs in the 80-83dB range without sounding stressed. The excursion limit is well beyond what is stated in the specs, IMO.

On the other hand, if you are going for 2.1 and/or you want to be able to crank it, then tuxedocivic's approach is certainly the way to go.

If you want to hear what the W3-881SI can do on their own, in an MLTL, check out nanoTower Part II - Tang Band W3-881SI - YouTube

Make sure you listen on a system with speakers at least as good as those, to get a proper impression of how much bass the little buggers can produce (which is a lot more than "no bass", IMO).
Old 8th February 2013, 06:18 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnoobie View Post
Tuxedo - I was thinking of using them in a countertop type box. tb forward facing and the ns6 down firing.
Countertop, as in "kitchen"? Perhaps you don't need the ns6 at all in that situation. The W3-881SI (in a good encosure) will provide very decent bass at moderate SPLs (kitchen volume).

Perhaps you want to really thump your kitchen, though...

Hide this!Advertise here!