W5-1611 SAF - The Sequel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gave this a quick check to see if I'm the right ball game.

The 13mm slot vents (wood pieces) are big enough, was a little worried about that.

As it sits here, the Fs is 45hz (too low) can simply trim vents down to raise it.

Generator & volt meter test:

35hz @ 4 volts

45 valley

85hz @ 7 volts

Going strong to 50hz, there is a dip around 100hz, but haven't trimmed/raised the tuning yet.

The speaker sounds pretty smooth :)

Attachments

• DSCN0540.JPG
    DSCN0540.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 573
Last edited:
Thanks Dave...all ready staying up at night thinking about dots :grumpy:

My drivers are a little different, they have a flat back (magnet) which I might glue cork on.

I might re-do the silicon; it looks messy now, will try a softer brush. Will slip a piece of paper in the VC for protection.

My son stopped by, I had Alan Jackson on; he was amazed at the sound.
[all my good CDs got stolen at work, so using sons collection. The Alan Jackson CDs are very well done recordings (btw, he has 50 top hits). I never would have thought light country would sound good on small, single cone speakers]

They do sound very nice, I didn't hear the "plastic" sound. They are dipping down pretty low; sound like a 7" in a BR box. However I want to raise the bass level just a bit, just for the wow factor. I'll try a BSC. Although, the bass really dips down (sub woofer territory) 20' away....wavelength I guess:confused:

All said, they didn't quite have the same depth and imaging as the fostex with the mods, not bad though, might make some more.

btw, ordered the expensive wool $50 bucks, its not fluffy enough; 7oz just filled 1/2 the box, so I tuned them upside down (gravity). Back to the craft store, might have to open a few bags; they have racks of different textures.

I guess you are just spooling .wav files off the hard-drive? What are you using for the pre-amp?

I know what I'd like to try/find; a good preamp with digital input. The Koerica player I'm using has a RCA digital out, never used it.

(when my buddy and I looked for a good player and found the Koerica;we went to several HiFi shops, it did stand out as a better sounding player)

Joined 2008
Paid Member
You mean Kyocera, right? :D They made some high-quality components in the 80s. That deck should make a great transport. Now you have to decide on a DAC... And attenuation... Slippery slope again, Odougbo.
Another great build, sir. Thanks for sharing!

Its a fun little speaker build; sounds like something much much bigger (only 16" high).

Would need a table saw; bench top saw would be fine.

Yes Kyocera.

*It's dead on 16" tall, which was a fluke, since I worked inside out. The base plate aslo has even numbers: 9" - 11" etc.

update

Now that the speaker has some hours on it , it sounds different; the bass is taking over. It is really strong, but natural sounding. I think the wide flare ports enhance the bass (a lot), or maybe the silicon (which I could remove).

[it does not need a BSC]

The imaging is nice, a very nice sound stage, my only complaint is it could use a little more sparkle on the high end.

Maybe a tweeter, rolled off very high, not sure the woofer would need much help (rolled off), maybe nothing at all.

I have a pair of DIY set-on-top tweeters, they look better than they sound ($10 bucks). I'll give them a try with a really small cap.

Attachments

• Tweeter I.jpg
    Tweeter I.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 433
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.