W5-1611 SAF - The Sequel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I see a few folks have tried different designs for the W5-1611SAF, so going to try my luck.

Since I typically dance to the beat of a different drum here is the direction I'm headed.

I had a few ideas but was inspired by plans found here (post 13):

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/188620-onken-near-field-monitor-2.html

AND other full range boxes with a W shape & flare ports. This will be a combination of both (similar to red box). The tuning will be done on the work bench by trimming the flare ports. Not easy to see in pic. but glued 4 pieces of 5" x 1/2" poplar that will be cut/fit/sanded and again, trimmed as needed.

Cones are coated - thin layer of RTV 118.

Speaker Driver: http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/0624_11/w5-1611saf.htm

Attachments

• W5 x 2.jpg
    W5 x 2.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 1,162
Fs is 20hz off? I'll check that here.

Jeff, went back to WinIsd, found out could not work vent sizes in inches - used mm and then had to trick the widow and start high and work my way down. [kept losing the response line]

Here's what I can up with two (2) vent/ports (L&R).

4 wood strips = 52mm, 13mm each.

Attachments

• W5 Sim II.jpg
    W5 Sim II.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 1,003
Last edited:
John, glad you are still here.

The silicon:
(1) Only use RTV112 or RTV118; they are self leveling products
(2) it will give you more bass - easy trick to lower the response
(3) the speaker guru that we used to work with, said it took the ringing out
(4) I think it makes a plastic cone sound more natural
(5) it is easy to take off if you don't like it

Jeff, went back to WinIsd, found out could not work vent sizes in inches - used mm and then had to trick the widow and start high and work my way down. [kept losing the response line]

Yes, a couple of annoying glitches.

I took grindstone's numbers and ran another sim using your vent sizes. Box is 18.5L @57Hz tuning. You'll notice the vent length is quite a bit less, due to the higher tuning.

jeff

Attachments

• W5-1611 measured-1.jpg
    W5-1611 measured-1.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 683
I had planed on finishing these this weekend, no such luck.

Might have them together in week or so. However, so far so good, I like the proportion.

Top is not glued - only glue one "side" at a time (I don't like glue running all over).

Attachments

• w5 - 1.jpg
    w5 - 1.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 669
Picking up speed

Picking up speed, but only have a few hours into this so far. Going to tune it up today.
The white screen is a blocker to keep the damping material from blocking the ports; found it in our last pizza box order. I may have to go order another pizza for the second one.

Will probably just throw the pizza out and keep the white screen - the pizza was terrible :xeye:

Attachments

• Vent Blocker.JPG
    Vent Blocker.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:
Gaskets

I'd much rather pay an extra dollar for factory gaskets, vs. making them. One resin not to buy less expensive speakers, have to spend more $$ fixing them.

Might put some hard wood on L&R panels (for looks).

So far so good.:)

Attachments

• W5 700.JPG
    W5 700.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.