W5-1611 SAF - The Sequel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I see a few folks have tried different designs for the W5-1611SAF, so going to try my luck.

Since I typically dance to the beat of a different drum here is the direction I'm headed.

I had a few ideas but was inspired by plans found here (post 13):

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/188620-onken-near-field-monitor-2.html

AND other full range boxes with a W shape & flare ports. This will be a combination of both (similar to red box). The tuning will be done on the work bench by trimming the flare ports. Not easy to see in pic. but glued 4 pieces of 5" x 1/2" poplar that will be cut/fit/sanded and again, trimmed as needed.

Cones are coated - thin layer of RTV 118.

Speaker Driver: http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/0624_11/w5-1611saf.htm

Good to see that are coming right alone.:D Let us know how they sound in your cabinets. I heard the W5-1611SAF drivers but, they were new and not broken in yet. Sound fine. Let me know Jm

Truth be known..I gave up on the high end on these. I like them much better with a tweeter (Morel).

For a xo went to on-line calculator; used a 2nd order Butterworth (180 phase shift for tweeter). The xo is point is close to 2200hz.

Folks...the W box with the front ports is a keeper; getting really nice bass out of them.

Attachments

• Temp23.jpg
    Temp23.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 436
  • DSCN1072.JPG
    DSCN1072.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:
Truth be known..I gave up on the high end on these. I like them much better with a tweeter (Morel).

For a xo went to on-line calculator; used a 2nd order Butterworth (180 phase shift for tweeter). The xo is point is close to 2200hz.

Folks...the W box with the front ports is a keeper; getting really nice bass out of them.

So, now you have an two-way speaker, not an fullrange anymore.
:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.