empty b&w 805matrix cab, what to do?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So i got a pair of b&w 805 matrix enclosures for free, no drivers, no xover just the empty shell for the bass/mid driver. its a nice, heavy and wibe dead enclosure.

original driver was a mid/bass 130mm (5.4"), enclosure size 10,5L acording to review on stereophile.
B&W Matrix 805 loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

was thinking of entering the one driver world :)

What driver availeble in eu would you put in those two boxes? doesnt have to play very loud or very low, will be uses as a bedroom speaker with holfi cd and 45W integrated amp.

price 2 drivers: hmm max 270euro/350usd, less is also good :)

best regards

bent

Last edited:
165mm (6.5") Kevlar-cone woofer with 3" voice-coil.

I had m805 for many years. Great speakers.
Much better than the later iterations.

So i got a pair of b&w 805 matrix enclosures for free, no drivers, no xover just the empty shell for the bass/mid driver. its a nice, heavy and wibe dead enclosure.

original driver was a mid/bass 130mm (5.4"), enclosure size 10,5L acording to review on stereophile.
B&W Matrix 805 loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

was thinking of entering the one driver world :)

What driver availeble in eu would you put in those two boxes? doesnt have to play very loud or very low, will be uses as a bedroom speaker with holfi cd and 45W integrated amp.

price 2 drivers: hmm max 270euro/350usd, less is also good :)

best regards

bent

A new cutout can be made with the usual tools for these tasks if you have them. Going bigger from smaller is easier. A new baffle front can be simply glued in place or used as a guide temporarily. Then use your cutout device whether it be jig saw router or zip tool with cutting blade.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
10 1/2 liters. I'd somehow actually measure the volume, i wouldn't take Stereophile's guess as gospel.

From the drivers i am well familiar with a tiny bit big for Alpair 7.3, Fostex FF125wk, CHR70, CHP70 (easy enuff to add some solid fill), a bit small for Alpair 10.2, EL70, CHP70.1, but can all be made to work. TB W5-1611 might work (i haven't looked into boxes for this one yet)

dave

Hi tom,

thanks for your suggestion,

i once asked the danish b&w retailer to buy a new tweeter, price was 245usd :(

2 tweeters 490usd
2 tweeter housing's ???
bas/midrange drivers ???
xovers

i will ad up to more alot more than 800usd, its a bit more than my 350usd limit ;).

any suggestions on fullrange drivers that would be worthy of these enclosures?

best regards

Hi planet10,

first of, the part of the baffle where i can mount the driver is 22cm(8,6") wide.

second, im looking for something that is easy, so not sure if can be made to work is something i should be after ;).

The matrix structure makes it very har too measure accurately.
the enclosure with wall thickness(16mm) deducted is 18L, the matrix structure is 6mm thick, some has holes in it, some doesnt and it fills the enclosure...
but youre right, 10,5 does sound a "bit" of :(

any good suggestions?

best regards

i can only buy the tb driver en eu e-shops(i think)

what can i expect from a fullrange driver this size?

tb- sealed 11L, qtc 0.65, f0 apr.200 f3 apr 100hz f5 80hz almost "same" in 15L.

ported: only way to get it "flat" before roll of is to tune it below its fs, thats no good right?

best regard and sorry fore the newbee questions ;)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The matrix structure makes it very har too measure accurately.
the enclosure with wall thickness(16mm) deducted is 18L, the matrix structure is 6mm thick, some has holes in it, some doesnt and it fills the enclosure...
but youre right, 10,5 does sound a "bit" of :(

any good suggestions?

Go to a craft store, get an appropriate volume of poly beads (used to fill stuffed crafts), pour, tamp, fill the box, then poor it out into a measuring container. Warning, if they escape, they are a pain to clean up (Zabu, .our dog, loves to rip apart her stuffed toys, we have quit buying ones that use the poly beads :))

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.