close to the wall

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If I purchase a pair of the Mark Audio Alpair 7 drivers and put them on stands I wouldn't be able to put them very far away from the back wall due to listening room size limitations .
13 X 14 x 8 with good sized openings on each end by the speakers leading to other rooms.
I didn't know if these drivers would work effectively being so close to the rear wall and wanted to ask for opinions/advice before going this direction .
They would go in the Mark Audio recommended enclosure and port dimensions .
I do see the Pensil design and will either go that route or buy a PE curved cabinet .

Thanks

If I purchase a pair of the Mark Audio Alpair 7 drivers and put them on stands I wouldn't be able to put them very far away from the back wall due to listening room size limitations .
13 X 14 x 8 with good sized openings on each end by the speakers leading to other rooms.
I didn't know if these drivers would work effectively being so close to the rear wall and wanted to ask for opinions/advice before going this direction .
They would go in the Mark Audio recommended enclosure and port dimensions .
I do see the Pensil design and will either go that route or buy a PE curved cabinet .

Thanks

They'll work just fine close to the wall.

I've heard several different single and multi-ways in the PE boxes - they're OK if you haven't the ability to build your own, but the Pensils (preferably in quality plywood) will be worth every penny and hour of your time - it's not even close - plus you save money on not needing stands

okay , that's what I needed to know not being familiar with these MA drivers I didn't know if boundary re-inforcement or lack thereof was an issue or not .
I'll go with the Pensil design as soon as I figure out which one is applicable .
I see there are different designs for different MA drivers and also one called the Woden design that looks to be a larger interior due to increased depth.
Thanks

okay , that's what I needed to know not being familiar with these MA drivers I didn't know if boundary re-inforcement or lack thereof was an issue or not .
I'll go with the Pensil design as soon as I figure out which one is applicable .
I see there are different designs for different MA drivers and also one called the Woden design that looks to be a larger interior due to increased depth.
Thanks

Woden is the name of Scott Lindgren's commercial design enteriprise - there are numerous enclosure designs for a range of Fostex and Mark Audio drivers, as well as other exotics.

The correct Pensil enclosure for the current Alpair7.3 would be :
http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/pensils/Pensil7s3-map.pdf

These are a fairly easy build, particularly if you don't get as elaborate with bracing as some folks :rolleyes:

Just be sure to fabricate with at least part of rear panel removable to allow for adjustment to levels of fill material. FWIW, for use with my Denon surround receiver, I ended up removing at least 1/3 of the amount recommended on the drawing. To a fair degree with will be system/room dependent and I'm not sure what other builders have found.

Just please used quality plywood not MDF.

Attachments

• 7.3 Penils MarKenT 004.jpg
    7.3 Penils MarKenT 004.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 133
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.