Fostex Fe206en driver questions? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2012, 12:04 AM   #1
jdm91 is offline jdm91  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Fostex Fe206en driver questions?

Hello all. I am not new but, I am looking on getting a pair of fostex fe206en drivers. I have had some people come over and hear the fe126en drivers and I hear they lack sparkle on the top end and the low end bass. Well it's only a 4.5 inch driver so what do you expect right. I am looking on doing a box with 3/4 inch of maple ply-wood this time not birch. What diy boxes are easy to build and are a real nice looking boxes? Also I know sometimes fullrange drivers lack sparkle on the top end. Can I use a B.G. Neo 3 tweeter? I am looking for a high end tweeter that is live sounding and very natural sounding with out the brightness. This is a very different point of view and way I am going with these speakers. So any help would be great. I am going to build a sub to full in the lower bass notes later on. I have seen examples from Thoress speaker company and the tonian acoustics DL-T1 speaker really nice looking using the fe206en drivers. It's nice to see other people use these drivers for what I have read about the peak and brightness of these drivers. I am not worryed about the room and I have 4 amps I could use. I would like to get the best out of these drivers and I am needing help starting from step one and moving on. Thanks jdm

Please don't ask if I have looked a the Audio Nirvana fullrange drivers. I have and know people who have them but, I have my own thougths and I will be tasteful and respectful. I am a fostex person. jdm
Old 12th September 2012, 03:58 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Do you want a floorstander or bookshelf?

Are there space or spouse requirements?

tool availability?

Feeling experimental?

Simplicity above all?
Yamaha YST-MS201 computer speaker amp, JVC 3" fullrange drivers in open baffles, CSS 10" sub in 19l sealed enclosure, bluetooth dongle for wireless audio from android phone headphone out for hirez FLAC playback.
Old 12th September 2012, 05:24 AM   #3
zman01 is online now zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

jdm,

The Fostex FE206EN will require a large cabinet to poduce deep bass. What I have read in the forums the top end is adequate, but as it is an 8" full range, it might be a bit directional. Some forum members like to use a super tweeter (also from Fostex)with their Fostex FR drivers.

Coming back to 'boxes' - read that the driver does well in the Fostex designed cabinet for the FE208E Sigma, Ron Clarke Dallas, and the Woden Design (Scott Lindgren) horns - Sachiko, Kirishima, Vulcan. All are pretty hefty cabinets though, and the Woden double mouth horns are around 6'. And oh yes, the FE206EN works in BiBs (like so many other drivers) and also in the Metronomes IIRC.
Old 12th September 2012, 07:49 AM   #4
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Fostex 206

Hello,

zman01 donīt forget my HP,
small satellites over 100 Hz, +96-98 dB 1W1m,
look the SCHALMEI, TRUMPET, HORN.
And the new double horns made for 8"FR and an invers driver,
best soundstage, best IMP, 96-99 dB 1w1m,
SAXOPHON, POSAUNE XL, RDH20.

Compair the 2 measurement of the RDH20 with the
speaker of the year 2012.
Voxativ Ampeggio loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com
rdhmess
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saxophon nirvana.jpg (64.7 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg posaune-mit-fostex-206e-006_55470.jpg (9.8 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg alphorn schalmeihinterg.jpg (110.7 KB, 338 views)
File Type: jpg 2alphornhornsat.jpg (262.3 KB, 338 views)
File Type: jpg rdhb200.jpg (371.9 KB, 341 views)
Old 12th September 2012, 08:27 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm91 View Post
I am a fostex person
Me too I am using 206ES. You can download cabinet plans from Fostex or Madisound web site for particular model of a speaker.

206 shines in back loaded horn. Needs good SET without global feedback to reveal full glory.
Old 12th September 2012, 04:52 PM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntechnik View Post
Me too I am using 206ES. You can download cabinet plans from Fostex or Madisound web site for particular model of a speaker.

206 shines in back loaded horn. Needs good SET without global feedback to reveal full glory.

I'd certainly agree with the assertion that the 206 is a member of the Fostex family that shines best in a well designed BLH, particularly in combination with a nice DHT (my personal favorite would be 2A3), but would suggest that there are quite a few enclosures that would surpass the performance of many of the Fostex designs, and may also be far less elaborate builds.
Old 12th September 2012, 07:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etocynned View Post
Do you want a floorstander or bookshelf?

Floorstanding.

Are there space or spouse requirements?

no just me.

tool availability?
Maybe a table saw? Hand saw yes.

Feeling experimental? Yes If I can make it myself.

Simplicity above all? Answered.
Old 12th September 2012, 07:34 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
jdm,

The Fostex FE206EN will require a large cabinet to poduce deep bass. What I have read in the forums the top end is adequate, but as it is an 8" full range, it might be a bit directional. Some forum members like to use a super tweeter (also from Fostex)with their Fostex FR drivers.

Coming back to 'boxes' - read that the driver does well in the Fostex designed cabinet for the FE208E Sigma, Ron Clarke Dallas, and the Woden Design (Scott Lindgren) horns - Sachiko, Kirishima, Vulcan. All are pretty hefty cabinets though, and the Woden double mouth horns are around 6'. And oh yes, the FE206EN works in BiBs (like so many other drivers) and also in the Metronomes IIRC.

Wow alot of info to take in. I just I am going to have to do some research on these boxes and see if one catches my eyes.
Old 12th September 2012, 07:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hm View Post
Hello,

zman01 donīt forget my HP,
small satellites over 100 Hz, +96-98 dB 1W1m,
look the SCHALMEI, TRUMPET, HORN.
And the new double horns made for 8"FR and an invers driver,
best soundstage, best IMP, 96-99 dB 1w1m,
SAXOPHON, POSAUNE XL, RDH20.

Compair the 2 measurement of the RDH20 with the
speaker of the year 2012.
Voxativ Ampeggio loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com
rdhmess

Very nice speakers. I am afraid I can't build these kinda cabinets due to lack of help and design. It looks very hard to build when I have a limit of tools and it's only me. I wish I could. Thanks jdm
Old 12th September 2012, 07:40 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
I'd certainly agree with the assertion that the 206 is a member of the Fostex family that shines best in a well designed BLH, particularly in combination with a nice DHT (my personal favorite would be 2A3), but would suggest that there are quite a few enclosures that would surpass the performance of many of the Fostex designs, and may also be far less elaborate builds.

So do tell. There are far less elaborare builds that works with a non-treated planet 10 fostex fe206en drivers Please do tell. Thanks jdm

Hide this!Advertise here!