Fostex Fe206en driver questions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all. I am not new but, I am looking on getting a pair of fostex fe206en drivers. I have had some people come over and hear the fe126en drivers and I hear they lack sparkle on the top end and the low end bass. Well it's only a 4.5 inch driver so what do you expect right:confused:. I am looking on doing a box with 3/4 inch of maple ply-wood this time not birch. What diy boxes are easy to build and are a real nice looking boxes? Also I know sometimes fullrange drivers lack sparkle on the top end. Can I use a B.G. Neo 3 tweeter? I am looking for a high end tweeter that is live sounding and very natural sounding with out the brightness. This is a very different point of view and way I am going with these speakers. So any help would be great. I am going to build a sub to full in the lower bass notes later on. I have seen examples from Thoress speaker company and the tonian acoustics DL-T1 speaker really nice looking using the fe206en drivers. It's nice to see other people use these drivers for what I have read about the peak and brightness of these drivers. I am not worryed about the room and I have 4 amps I could use. I would like to get the best out of these drivers and I am needing help starting from step one and moving on. Thanks jdm

Please don't ask if I have looked a the Audio Nirvana fullrange drivers. I have and know people who have them but, I have my own thougths and I will be tasteful and respectful. I am a fostex person:D. jdm

jdm,

The Fostex FE206EN will require a large cabinet to poduce deep bass. What I have read in the forums the top end is adequate, but as it is an 8" full range, it might be a bit directional. Some forum members like to use a super tweeter (also from Fostex)with their Fostex FR drivers.

Coming back to 'boxes' - read that the driver does well in the Fostex designed cabinet for the FE208E Sigma, Ron Clarke Dallas, and the Woden Design (Scott Lindgren) horns - Sachiko, Kirishima, Vulcan. All are pretty hefty cabinets though, and the Woden double mouth horns are around 6'. And oh yes, the FE206EN works in BiBs (like so many other drivers) and also in the Metronomes IIRC.

Fostex 206

Hello,

zman01 don´t forget my HP,
small satellites over 100 Hz, +96-98 dB 1W1m,
look the SCHALMEI, TRUMPET, HORN.
And the new double horns made for 8"FR and an invers driver,
best soundstage, best IMP, 96-99 dB 1w1m,
SAXOPHON, POSAUNE XL, RDH20.

Compair the 2 measurement of the RDH20 with the
speaker of the year 2012.
Voxativ Ampeggio loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com
rdhmess

Attachments

• saxophon nirvana.jpg
    saxophon nirvana.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 501
  • posaune-mit-fostex-206e-006_55470.jpg
    posaune-mit-fostex-206e-006_55470.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 497
  • alphorn schalmeihinterg.jpg
    alphorn schalmeihinterg.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 493
  • 2alphornhornsat.jpg
    2alphornhornsat.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 494
  • rdhb200.jpg
    rdhb200.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 499
Me too I am using 206ES. You can download cabinet plans from Fostex or Madisound web site for particular model of a speaker.

206 shines in back loaded horn. Needs good SET without global feedback to reveal full glory.

I'd certainly agree with the assertion that the 206 is a member of the Fostex family that shines best in a well designed BLH, particularly in combination with a nice DHT (my personal favorite would be 2A3), but would suggest that there are quite a few enclosures that would surpass the performance of many of the Fostex designs, and may also be far less elaborate builds.

jdm,

The Fostex FE206EN will require a large cabinet to poduce deep bass. What I have read in the forums the top end is adequate, but as it is an 8" full range, it might be a bit directional. Some forum members like to use a super tweeter (also from Fostex)with their Fostex FR drivers.

Coming back to 'boxes' - read that the driver does well in the Fostex designed cabinet for the FE208E Sigma, Ron Clarke Dallas, and the Woden Design (Scott Lindgren) horns - Sachiko, Kirishima, Vulcan. All are pretty hefty cabinets though, and the Woden double mouth horns are around 6'. And oh yes, the FE206EN works in BiBs (like so many other drivers) and also in the Metronomes IIRC.

Wow alot of info to take in. I just I am going to have to do some research on these boxes and see if one catches my eyes.:D

Hello,

zman01 don´t forget my HP,
small satellites over 100 Hz, +96-98 dB 1W1m,
look the SCHALMEI, TRUMPET, HORN.
And the new double horns made for 8"FR and an invers driver,
best soundstage, best IMP, 96-99 dB 1w1m,
SAXOPHON, POSAUNE XL, RDH20.

Compair the 2 measurement of the RDH20 with the
speaker of the year 2012.
Voxativ Ampeggio loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com
rdhmess

Very nice speakers. I am afraid I can't build these kinda cabinets due to lack of help and design. It looks very hard to build when I have a limit of tools and it's only me. I wish I could:(. Thanks jdm

I'd certainly agree with the assertion that the 206 is a member of the Fostex family that shines best in a well designed BLH, particularly in combination with a nice DHT (my personal favorite would be 2A3), but would suggest that there are quite a few enclosures that would surpass the performance of many of the Fostex designs, and may also be far less elaborate builds.

So do tell. There are far less elaborare builds that works with a non-treated planet 10 fostex fe206en drivers:confused: Please do tell:D. Thanks jdm

So do tell. There are far less elaborare builds that works with a non-treated planet 10 fostex fe206en drivers:confused: Please do tell:D. Thanks jdm

I would am willing to give anything a try if it's not to hard for a common man to build. Thanks jdm.

Although the 206 is larger than the type of wide range generally used, one of the options of course would be an OB with supporting woofer - about as simple an "enclosure" as possible. Of the types that we'd more conventionally think of as "enclosures" , the first that come to mind would be BIB, Metronome, Kirishima (FrugalHorn Spawn) and Woden Vulcan - none of which would be smaller than the Fostex BLH, but all of which would use less material. The BIB would be a particularly simple build in terms of number & complexity of cut parts, but the operative word for this class of boxes would be Big, so some help would be helpful during the final stages of assembly, and certainly for moving / placement.

If for no other reason than the weight, I'd highly recommend plywood over MDF for any of these designs.

And, no I've not heard any of these design families with the 206, but have done with various other models and makes.

BIB:
Godzilla's site hosting the details of this design is not currently active, but no doubt he or someone else could forward the details / drawings

Metronome:
The Metronome

Kirishima in this plan set:
http://p10hifi.net/FH/downloads/SpawnHorn-v2-planset-070412.pdf

Vulcan:
Woden Design | Vulcan (subscription applies to this design)

and finally, if you've not already experienced them, be aware that some folks might consider the 206 in need of "helper" tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.