CHR-70 ver3 instead of EL70

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have built a pair or Derwent speakers using CSS EL70 drivers. They sound very good. I want to build another set of speakers using the CHR-70s. I was looking at the Windermere2 enclosures (also part of the Lake District series) which is meant to have 2xEL70 drivers, but I would like to use parallel CHR-70s in it. Would they work? If not, what would I have to change to keep the same tuning of the box?

I have built a pair or Derwent speakers using CSS EL70 drivers. They sound very good. I want to build another set of speakers using the CHR-70s. I was looking at the Windermere2 enclosures (also part of the Lake District series) which is meant to have 2xEL70 drivers, but I would like to use parallel CHR-70s in it. Would they work? If not, what would I have to change to keep the same tuning of the box?

"work?" - certainly you'd get some sound, although even with whatever changes might be required for box tuning, I doubt you'd ever get the same bottom end performance from the CHR as from the EL70s (or earlier CHP70)

That said, if you do proceed, I'd highly recommend the angled / top-firing configuration for the second driver - shown by my count on page 10 of the plans set.

edit: change that to Page 16 of the (now) 27 page plan set

But it might well be that the Lotus2 (which have been built, I believe) could well be the "better" design for dual CHR70

Then of course, there's always the P10 Microtower (Castle version); there are just too many designed penned by Dave and Scott for anyone to be crazy enough to build them all - or globe-trotted around to hear them - as much as some of us have tried

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I really like the look of the Windemere2 speakers more than the Lotus2.

If I were to build the Lotus2 can the second driver be put under the first driver

IINM the first of such designs by Scott ( Calhoun for Cal Weldon) had the second driver side mounted to allow for playing with sound-stage / dispersion, but Dave or Scott should answer the question as to efficacy of both front mounted

and what kind of bottom end could I expect?
detailed and quick, but not likely the same depth or weight as with dual EL70s

Should be OK. YMMV on that score.

It's not optimal: I do not advocate randomly stuffing drivers into cabinets that are not designed for them & hoping for the best. However, in the case of Windermere, you've got outright bulk on your side, which tends to swamp the differences between the drivers. Nessies are technically 'characterful' enclosures anyway, although mine are rather better aligned than any others I am aware of. Those who like them tend to really like them though.

Not well. Look at the difference in size between Coniston^2 and Lotus^2 to get an idea why.

I see your point.

Maybe I'll look into the Lotus^2, not so tall and would look better in the room. The side facing driver also look like an interesting idea. How far apart should the cabinets be?

I notice that the bottom deflector can be angled or stepped. Has anyone built a stepped version, and if so, what do they think of the difference in sound from the angled one.

I see your point.

Maybe I'll look into the Lotus^2, not so tall and would look better in the room. The side facing driver also look like an interesting idea. How far apart should the cabinets be?

I notice that the bottom deflector can be angled or stepped. Has anyone built a stepped version, and if so, what do they think of the difference in sound from the angled one.

I've built designs with both stepped and angled single piece for deflectors, and honestly couldn't say that I could attribute much sonic advantage to either method.

The steps have the advantage of adding some mass that should theoretically contribute to damping of panel resonances, as well as they're generally composed of straight 90` cuts. If I was to build a tall narrow double mouth enclosure again, I'd probably use steps on the bottom (for ballast) and an angled deflector on the top, or even eliminate the top void altogether as shown on the page 12 of Lake District series plan set. I'm of the opinion that disrupting as much as possible the symmetry of panel resonances is a worthy pursuit in designs of this type.

Portreathbeach,

To my knowledge the side firing drivers act as 0.5 drivers and add more bass to the sound; my WAG would be that two front firing drivers would add more mid and HF - some folks find the CHR-70.x a tad bright (and others would also point out comb filtering effects... :eek:). The side drivers also widen the soundstage - please note that the Lotus even with a single driver has a more diffused image vs some of the other builds I have done with CHR-70 drivers. The CHR-70.2 in the Lotus^2 sounds less bright and the overall sound is more relaxed with warmer/softer bass.

In my rooms they've worked best placed 6-9 feet apart with the side firing drivers faced inwards. Distance from the rear wall - around 18"-24".

- Zia

Last edited:
Sealed in wall?

Hi, maybe this isn't the right thread but i ask anyway:)
Has anyone tried the chr-70 as in wall/ceiling.
I was thinking about a couple of sealed 3 liter(or smaller) enclosures
as surrounds up in the ceiling and L/C/R with 2 drivers in each box 12 litre sealed, of course with bass support.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.