Homebuilt Mikasa with Fostex 126E - what amp? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2012, 05:34 AM   #1
Tias is offline Tias  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default Homebuilt Mikasa with Fostex 126E - what amp?

Hi all,

newbie here! Very interesting site although most of it goes straight over my head, hoping to learn a lot while I'm here.

I recently bought those speakers (is that still the right term?) without actually knowing much about them, I was more after the Subwoofer that came with it.

But I'm very keen to start using them and set up my own listening room.
At the moment I have some 'vintage' B&W CM1 & CM2's hooked up to a Marantz amp that plays my records on a Pro-ject RPM SB6.1.

Am I assuming right that it's probably best not to hook up the new speakers to the Marantz (which is 80W)?

What amp would be recommended on a tight budget?
(I already have to sell some stuff to pay for the speakers and sub

Thanks in advance,

Tias.
Old 11th September 2012, 08:20 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Pictures?

How big a room?

Typicallywell matched with small SE amps. On a tight budget a SS or tube (EL84/6V6/ECL82/ECL86) single-ended amp is an ideal match if you can live with 2-5W. On a real tight budget some of the Class T amps are suitable.

The SS are invariably diy, lots of diy tube amps, and some buyable -- like this miniwatt N3 - Amplifiers. Class D are typically install a working board in a box diy or just buy one.

Lots & lots of info in the amp forums

http://www.miniwatt.com.hk/amplifiers/miniwatt-n3.html

Some Class-T examples classa t amplifier - Parts Express Ships Fast and Ships Free - 106

You could be very surprised by the speakers

dave
Old 11th September 2012, 09:35 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply!

Wow, I had to google a lot of terms there.

I would love to go with a tube amp, mainly because people always rave about them, not to mention they look amazing.
But I have to admit I've never heard one in action. would love to hear it on a system next to a 'normal' system to hear the difference. Will have to drop into some of my local shops to have a chat and a listen. Although I'd like to learn more about it before going in

When you say DIY, how far does that go? Honestly, I'm not good at diy but keen to learn, but would rather not destroy the first amp I buy. The missus would not be impressed and have a good laugh.

Those Miniwatt amps look nice, price-wise as well. will they be powerful enough for these speakers? Meaning, what would the limitations be and/or differences with a more powerful amp?

Thanks for your help!

Tias
Old 11th September 2012, 09:43 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Oh, and in my rush forgot to answer your two question.
Room is small'ish. 3.8m x 3.5m (12.467feet x 11.482feet)

And here is a photo of the speakers. Not a photo in my house. Is from the person I bought them from.

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks again!
Old 11th September 2012, 09:52 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
When you say DIY, how far does that go?
As far as you want to go... little to lots. Chinese made pre-built kits (just waiting for you so go under the hood) to built from scratch. Go cruising in the forums for some ideas.

A small Firstwatt, F2 or F2J (5W?, 1 of the Burning Amps is probably real similar) or a 2A3 (3.5W) or 2A3 PP (8-12w) would be match made in heaven The small SE amps have very few parts so are a good starter.

unless you play real loud or have a very large room (even then, our 3.9w RH84 does pretty good with other FE126 horns).

dave
Old 11th September 2012, 09:55 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tias View Post
And here is a photo of the speakers.
He did a lovely job.

dave
Old 11th September 2012, 04:23 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Tom McNally's amps are nice too. 5-15 watts of KT 66, 77 or 88.. under 6oo dollars. Google him...
Old 11th September 2012, 09:06 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

One should also mention the Tubelab amps/PC boards.

Tubelab - diyAudio

dave
Old 11th September 2012, 10:24 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys for the response.

Been a great help!
For now I think I will have to go with something that is already built because I really don't want to mess it up, that and so I actually have something to play music on while I do my own diy.

One more question, i have read that it is recommended to use these speakers with a sub because they can lack in the lower range.
Do any of these amps accomodate for a sub?

Cheers,

Ts
Old 12th September 2012, 06:14 AM   #10
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Tias,

The Fostex FE126E is a high efficiency speaker - it will work nicely with the low watt tube amps that Dave and others have recommended.

On the other hand, sub-woofers typically require amps with much more wattage - you will need a solid state amp here. BTW, the sub-woofer you have got, does it have an amp? A lot of subs are "active" and come with an amplifier and some controls (volume, bass level, cross over frequency etc.).

I've used the Mini-watt N3 - a nice sounding unit in a compact package - and no build required.

Hide this!Advertise here!